When It's Love At First Sight But He's Shy

Optional Bias Scenarios

If you would like to read this as a scenario with Baekhyun from EXO, click here~

A/N: Sorry I haven't posted in forever! I've been really busy ;_; This is for this request~

Sighing unhappily, you dragged a heavy bag of recycling out to the front of your apartment complex. It was cold outside, your breath floating in curled white wisps. You cursed yourself silently for not taking it out earlier, when the bag was easier to carry.

“Oh! I’m sorry!” you apologized when you felt your body run into someone else. The person reached out, steadying you on your feet. Yours eyes met a dark brown pair lit by his smile. His hands remained on your shoulder for a moment, his eyes still sealed on yours. You took a step back, bowing to him gratefully. “Sorry about that! I wasn’t paying attention.” Dropping his arms, he grinned.

“That’s alright. Let me help!” He took the bag from you with ease, lifting it into the recycling bin at the sidewalk’s edge.

“Thank you!” you said appreciatively, waving him goodbye as you walked back into your apartment complex. He watched you retreat into the building, the wind rustling his coat behind him.

trans.gifOn Tuesday you hurried to work, running late with a haphazardly prepared breakfast in your hand. You enjoyed your job at the corner coffee shop. The drinks and sandwiches were easy to prepare, the customers polite and your coworkers friendly.

“Sorry I’m late!” you apologized to your boss, tying an apron around your waist while you hoisted yourself behind the counter. Thankfully your boss was forgiving, and greeted you with a gentle nod. A group of boys wandered in, laughing loudly among themselves. “What can I get for you?” you asked the first.

“Oh, hi!” It was the boy who’d helped you with your recycling a few days before. He stuttered his drink order nervously.

“I’m sorry, could you repeat that?” you asked, looking up from the cup you were writing on. He was leaning forward against the counter slightly, his cheeks tinted with pink embarrassment. You looked up again when he repeated his order, but his eyes had already cast themselves back down at the shiny linoleum floor. He paid without looking up and returned to a table with his friends.

The awkward encounter was quickly forgotten as you proceeded through your shift, attention distracted by the myriad of responsibilities you had to take care of in the short five hours. Hanging your dark green apron on its hook in the back room, you gathered your things and started back towards your home.

You were surprised to see the boy waiting in line the next day, his eyes scanning the room as though looking for a familiar face. Once again you took his order and he stuttered a response, lingering at the register for a short moment after paying as though there was something more to say.

His coffee habit was becoming more frequent, as you noticed him coming by during your shift at least twice a week. He always ordered the same drink, and he never said more than a few words. Sometimes his friends would come with him, elbowing him whenever you walked by. You weren’t stupid; he had to be interested in you for his unusual behavior to make sense. It wasn’t a situation you were used to handling, and at least a month passed before you decided to do something about it.

Your hand had a nervous shake in its motion as you placed a pastry on one of the white napkins near the display case. Walking anxiously across the café, you placed it in front of where he was sitting.

“Oh, I didn’t ord-” He stopped talking when you sat down in the other chair.

“You're the one who helped me with my recycling that one time, right?” you asked. He tried to hide his embarrassment by leaning back coolly in his seat. You stifled a giggle.

“Yeah.” He flashed a bashful grin, just slightly biting his lower lip. “Look, I’ve been trying to think of how to say this for weeks, so I’m just going to put myself out there.” He leaned forward, folding his hands in front of him on the table. “I really like you, do you want to go out sometime? Like to dinner or something?”

“I’d love that,” you assured with a smile.

“Are you… busy tonight? When do you get off of your shift?”

“I’m not busy. Six-thirty.” He stood up, tossing his empty coffee cup in the trash next to him.

“So…can I pick you up from here around then?” You nodded, giving him a friendly wave as he walked back outside. Your coworker cast a knowing smile from across the room, but you didn’t notice. Watching as he made his way back down the sidewalk, you grinned, already anticipating the evening ahead.