When Your Friends and Family Disapprove of Your Relationship

Optional Bias Scenarios

The doors to the coffee shop swung open and closed as holiday shoppers walked in from the outdoor shopping center. The arctic December air came through in frosty gusts, and you took another sip of your drink to counteract the biting cold. Your friend walked in, bags in hand and her eyes scanning to room to find you. Calling out her name, you waved her over to the table.

“So,” she began. “What’s new with you?” You smiled, biting the red straw in your drink.

“I’ve been seeing someone.” She clapped her hands, bright enthusiasm in her eyes.

“Oh! That’s exciting! Tell me about him.” You grinned.

“We’ve been dating for a couple of months now,” you explained. He’s really sweet.” She sighed, still excited about your newly revealed relationship.

“But what’s his name?” You drew in a breath of air, preparing to give her the full story. She knew you had connections to popular celebrities, but wasn’t likely to know just how close you had since become. You told her his name, showing a picture on your phone that the two of you had taken together.

“He’s…a celebrity.” She frowned, brows stitched tightly together in concern.

“An idol? Are you sure that’s a good idea?” she asked. “Do you know what you’re getting yourself into?” Your mouth turned downward with disappointment.

“He’s a wonderful guy. I can handle his lifestyle. Believe me, I’ve thought a lot about it.” She sighed.

“I just think this is a really bad idea.” You rolled your eyes, all friendly tactfulness set aside. Standing up, you collected your possessions to leave.

“I don’t need your approval,” you argued. She sighed, standing up to leave in the other direction. Muttering quietly, she walked away in a huff.

“I’m telling you it’s a bad idea.”

The next day, you had made plans to visit your family for dinner. Several relatives you hadn’t seen for a while were visiting, and you agreed to stop by. The disagreeable encounter with your friend elevated the nervous squirming deep in your belly as you raised your knuckles to the door. You had planned to tell your parents about your boyfriend, but worried they would hold the same sentiments as your friend. You avoided the subject throughout dinner, and thought you could get away with postponing it completely.

“Have you been seeing anyone?” a relative asked, offering you a warm smile. You faked happiness, knowing they meant well.

“I have.” You showed your family the picture, giving them the same explanation you offered to your friend. Much like the day before, your parents’ faces sank to expressions of deep-set concern.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” your father asked, his hands in a knot at the table. “Celebrities don’t live easily.” You scoffed at his reminder.

“You think I don’t know that? Half of my friends live that life. I’m practically a part of it myself!” Your mother gave you a stern look.

“And that’s bad enough already,” she noted. “They have bodyguards. You’d don’t. And what are you going to do when angry fans come after you? It’s not like you can expect them to be okay with it. You’ve seen the news, you know how insane they are.” Scowling, you bit back the maliciousness burning at your tongue.

“We’ll handle the fans when we’re ready to tell them. I’m an adult, I can handle this.” Your parents exchanged a nearly belittling look between each other.

“You’re an adult. That doesn’t mean you’re old enough to understand everything and that doesn’t mean you always know when to make the right decision.” This set off an angry fire in your chest, and you stood up to leave for the second time this week. Insulted tears pricked with a scalding heat at the corner of your eyes. Even as you became increasingly more upset, your parents continued to express their unhappiness.

“We’re not going to pretend to approve. You’re putting yourself in danger and compromising your future.” In a flush of temper, you stood and prepared yourself to leave. You thanked your parents for dinner with a cold nod in their direction.

Sniffing loudly, you drove back to your apartment and wiped at your eyes. When the front door closed behind you, the tears you had withheld spilled uncomfortably over your cheeks. A few minutes later, your cellphone rang.

“Hello?” your boyfriend asked. He sounded unhappy when he heard your voice, hearing the tears collected in your throat. “Are you alright? What happened?” You sighed into the phone, trying to find the words to explain. “I’m actually pretty close by…Can I just come over?” You agreed, hanging up the phone to wait for him at the door. Only a few minutes passed before you heard your boyfriend knock.

“What’s wrong?” You hugged him tightly, hiding your disappointed face in the front of his shirt.

“They don’t want us to be together! Everyone’s mad at me and I don’t know what to do.” He looked perplexed.

“Who doesn’t?”

“Everyone!” you cried. “My friends, my parents, everybody!” He sighed again, holding your head tightly to his chest.

“What can I do to make this better?” You didn’t answer for a few minutes, sniffing and collecting your thoughts.

“I guess there isn’t much we can do. They’ll get over it eventually, right?” He smiled, sweeping pieces of hair away from your face.

“I’m sure they will,” he replied.

“I don’t need their approval,” you decided. Giving you a tight hug, he promised that the two of you would make it work.

“After all, I think you’re worth it.” You stood up, kissing him in agreement.

“We’ll make it work,” he assured. “They’ll see, with time.” He waited a few days for the commotion to calm down, before stopping by your family’s home unannounced. Before your parents opened the door, he found himself stewing over the same worry you had felt in the same position. Your mother answered, letting him in after an awkward and confused introduction.

You decided to stop by your parent’s house, hoping that with your new confidence you could badger them into giving your boyfriend a chance. When you walked in the door, you halted immediately with surprise. Your parents sat happily on the couch, engaged in theatrical conversation with your boyfriend. Laughter seemed to shake the room, and everyone had a bright smile on their face.

“What’s…going on?” you asked. Your father stood up, taking you down the hall to talk privately for a moment.

“He’s a great guy,” he mused. “I think…if the two of you are careful, you can definitely make it work.” Shifting in place, your father placed a reassuring hand on your shoulder. “I should apologize for writing him off so quickly. You’re an adult, and we should know enough to trust your choices. Personally, I really like him.” You leaned close, wrapping your arms around your dad in a tight hug.

“Thanks dad.” He laughed, patting you on the head affectionately.

“Just make sure he’s good to you. I don’t want to have to hurt him.” Laughing, you shook your head fervently. Your boyfriend stood up, placing his hand on your head.

“Don’t worry, I’ll keep her out of trouble.” Your father chuckled, walking back to your mother on the couch.

“You’re a brave guy. She’s a challenge.”

“Dad!” you yelled, joining in laughter with the rest of your family, happy that your boyfriend could finally be a part of it.