When the Public Disapproves of Your Relationship

Optional Bias Scenarios

You didn’t intend for the relationship to be in the public eye. Photographs and direct questions, netizens and accusations led to a broadcasted confirmation from his company and pushed you into a spotlight you had hoped never to face. Your boyfriend had told you how to handle the shock.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said. “Stay away from the news websites and just relax. It’s not the end of the world.”

You believed him. For about a week, you avoided the alluring temptation of internet communities. But today was eventless, boring, and curiosity was creeping upon you like a virus. Hesitantly, you found yourself online. The articles detailing proof of your relationship covered the page, and you scrolled to the nearest page of comments.

The mood grew dark as hateful words crossed the screen. It seemed as though nobody approved or supported you. Heartless strangers tore you apart, criticizing every part of you, some asking for your death. You leaned close to your laptop, absorbing every word.

How could all of these people hate you? You, who had never met nor harmed a single one of them. They wanted you to disappear, to die, all because of who you loved.

The screen slammed shut before your eyes. You jumped backwards and your eyes met those of your angry boyfriend.

“I told you not to look at those things.” His voice was laced with disappointment and anger. You stared back with tears forming in your eyes.

“I can make those decisions for myself. I’m not a child.” Despite your efforts, your voice cracked and you began to cry. He sighed heavily, sitting next to you on the mattress. Cautiously, he placed a hand on your shoulder.

“I know. I didn’t want you to get hurt like this though.” You wiped your cheeks with the edge of your sweater’s sleeve.

“They’re horrible. Why do they hate me so much?” He laughed softly, bringing his own hand to your face.

“They don’t really hate you. They don’t know who you are. They’re young and upset because we’ve messed with their imaginations. They’ll grow up. Don’t let them get to you.” It was your turn to sigh, your eyes drifting back to the rejected laptop. Your boyfriend noticed, and pulled you carefully into his lap.

“Look,” he said, and placed the laptop in front of you. He returned to the page that had caused your tears, searching the page for words of support. To your surprise, a number of encouraging comments had been left behind by his fans. “Not everyone supports us, but that’s not to say that no one does.” Once again he returned the laptop to the mattress, and his attention to you. “Besides, they can’t do anything about it. You’re not going anywhere.” With a laugh, he pressed your head against his chest, falling back onto your bed. “It’s going to be fine. I promise!”