When He Talks About One Day Having a Family Together

Optional Bias Scenarios

Together you walked down the familiar path, appreciating the sunny weather and taking advantage of your boyfriend’s time off of work.  The summer leaves opened fresh to the sunshine, and young children scrambled across the walkway with sand toys in their clutches.

As you continued along the footpath, a small boy crossed in front of you. His shoe caught on the edge, and he fell onto the hard cement. His toy car scattered a few meters away, and the scrapes on his knees began to bleed. Your boyfriend was by his side before the tears even began to fall from his eyes. He put an arm carefully under the boy, picking him up and walking to a bench nearby. You leaned over to pick up the toy, returning it carefully into the crying child’s arms.

“Do you think you could go find his mother?” You nodded, running quickly towards the playground and searching for someone without a child. A woman was nearby, her eyes scanning the park with worry reflected in them. You touched her lightly on the shoulder.

“Excuse me, are you looking for your son?” She nodded, and you began to lead her to the bench. “He took a little fall. I think he’s alright, but he scraped up his knees a bit.” When you reached the child and your boyfriend, you were surprised by the cheerful atmosphere. Character bandages covered the cuts on his knees, and he was contently driving his toy car on your boyfriend’s lap. Upon seeing his mother, the boy jumped up, running happily towards his mother’s embrace.

She thanked the both of you sincerely for taking care of him, and turned to walk her son back toward the playground. The boy waved happily at you and your boyfriend before following his mother hand in hand. The two of you continued on your path, walking with your arms linked.

“I hope I have kids someday,” you boyfriend said, a smile on his face as he looked up at the rays of sun beaming down between the thick foliage. You nodded your head in agreement, mind wandering into hopes for the future.

“We’ll have an amazing family I think.” Once again you nodded, absently processing your own thoughts. Did he want to have that family with you one day?

“I bet our children will be beautiful,” you said, testing his reaction with caution. To your satisfaction, his smile only brightened.

“They will be. And smart. And talented. And kind. And…” he said, and eagerly continued to list their ideal traits. You laughed lightheartedly and pushed lightly against his head.

“Hey! How can you have such high expectations already?” He laughed and turned his attention once more to the flourishing sky above.

“I guess I’m just excited.”

“Already?”

“I’m always excited. I’ve always wanted a family to take care of.” He wrapped his arm tightly over your shoulder. “A family with you, of course.”