When He's Drunk and You Take Care of Him

Optional Bias Scenarios

 

Stumbling footsteps and boisterous laughter wandered their way towards your apartment. You sighed and brought your palm to your face, walking to the door. Oh god, you thought. You knew your boyfriend had been out drinking with his friends, and the rowdy noises had to belong to him. Opening the door, you couldn’t help but laugh at the amusing sight before you.

“Hey baby,” he began, leaning desperately on one of his band members. His smile was wide and foolish, eyes scanning you up and down with no reserves. His band mate laughed loudly, heaving your boyfriend towards the doorway.

“There’s no way I can bring him home like this. Can you watch him?”  Before you had the chance to respond, he walked away quickly, obviously glad to be rid of his burdensome friend. You turned your attention back to your boyfriend, who was currently leaning with his forehead on the wall, mumbling lyrics to one of his songs. As you tried to pull him into the entry way, his voice rose to a yell, the jumble of music echoing in the hallway.

“Shut up!” You whispered, hitting him gently on the head. “You’re going to wake everyone up!” He laughed, his head rolling back as he stumbled forward.

“Do you have anything to eat?” His words were slurred, and he sauntered to your kitchen without waiting for a response. A few moments of silence passed before you followed behind him. Things in the kitchen had become too quiet, and you were concerned.

It took several minutes for you to wrench from his hands the alcohol he had found in the refrigerator.

“No!” you yelled in irritation, “You don’t need more! You’ve had enough!” Giving up in the struggle, he let forth another bout of obnoxious laughter before grabbing you in a suffocating hug.

“My pretty girlfriend, always looking out for me!” You rolled your eyes and struggled out of his grasp, smacking him lightly on the head for what felt like the hundredth time. His merriment with the situation increased with your reaction, and it wasn’t long before you were chased through the living room, mentally slapping yourself for letting him walk in the door.

“Why are you so obnoxious!?” You yelled, with little conviction in your voice. Your boyfriend had leaned over the armrest of your couch, his face planted in the cushions. Any annoyance you felt morphed quickly into pure entertainment as he kicked his legs like a petulant child. Dragging him away from the furniture before he could destroy anything, you giggled and sat him down on the floor. “You’re really destructive, you know that?” He smiled at you with childish satisfaction, his eyes growing small and smug.

“I know,” he said cheerfully. His hands enclosed tightly around you, and he leaned so close your eyes had to cross to see his face. You weren’t about to give in to his drunken stupor, and you wrestled him easily to the floor.

“Behave yourself! You know you have work to do tomorrow, right?” He laughed, his hands resting on your hips.

“I know,” he said, his smile never faltering. He sat up, causing you to fall ungracefully into his lap. He chuckled and kissed your neck. “I don’t care.”