When It Begins to Snow

Optional Bias Scenarios

You smiled from behind your scarf, the nippy air bringing a bright red flush to your cheeks. Gloved hands together, you and your boyfriend walked down the sidewalk lit by streetlamps and colorful window arrangements. Holiday displays had just recently been set up, and every few moments you stopped to admire a spangled tree or piles of glittery fake snow advertising various businesses and gifts.

“Look!” he said, pointing with his free hand to an impressive display near a busy shopping center. A tall pine tree at least twenty feet tall had been decorated with ornaments covering nearly every branch. You looked high into the air, following his hand to the glittering star alit at the very top. Spangled garlands hung from the windows of every store, and twinkle light reindeer stood around the tree’s trunk.

A familiar holiday song began playing from the speakers around you. Your boyfriend grinned, taking your other hand in his and spinning you around gently. Laughing, you danced playfully on the sidewalks for a few moments. People hurried quickly past the two of you, everyone in a rush to be somewhere else.

“It’s a pity,” he said, releasing your hands and sitting with a sigh at a small café table outside. “It’s like nobody sees the decorations people worked so hard to put up.” You patted him gently on the cheek, offering a light shrug.

“At least we notice them?” He smiled at you, placing a thumb on your chin.

“We do. Thanks for wandering like this with me.” You smiled, still staring at the wreathed trees. Taking his hand again, you stood up and began walking.

“I love this stuff! But let’s not waste time being sad, let’s go!” He laughed at your enthusiasm, following your excited pace with stumbling feet.

“Slow down!” Giggling, you stopped, allowing him a chance to catch his breath. Reaching your fingertips far above your head, you tugged lightly at the giant red bow that matched the others wrapped around every streetlamp. It was soft to touch, the bright red ribbon bringing another spray of color to your walk around the city.

As you walked away from the shopping center, the sidewalks became more deserted and quiet. Soft music still tinkled from nearby storefronts, but the path remained empty, illuminated by colorful lights and signs. You stopped, marveling at the night sky.

“Listen,” you said, your voice dropping to a gentle whisper. As you stood together, you were enveloped by an overwhelming sense of quiet. The air seemed to murmur softly in your ears as it whipped by, the icy cold becoming something you could hear, smell, and taste. Something soft tumbled in the air, catching itself on the wool threads of your knit mitten.

Snowflakes. A wide grin spread across your face as you turned to look at your boyfriend. He raised his eyes to the sky, watching as more snow fell gracefully down to earth. You reached out your palms, hoping to catch it again. Your boyfriend laughed, trying with little success to throw clumps of snow no bigger than a coin in your direction.

“It’s so perfect,” you said, marveling at the snow already beginning to collect on the sidewalk. “I hope it sticks.” Your boyfriend scuffed at a few snowflakes with the bottom of his shoe.

“It looks like it’s sticking.” You looked to him again with a childlike shine in your bright eyes.

“What if we get snowed out tomorrow?” He laughed, hugging you to his side with one arm.

“I doubt that will happen. That never happens here.” You pouted.

 “It could happen.” He smiled, grateful for your excitement. As you walked back, you paused once again in front of the gigantic Christmas tree. Snow had dusted its branches, nature’s tinsel making it sparkle under the golden glow of night. People stopped to look at it, a few opening their mouths wide to catch tiny flakes on their tongues. It seemed slower outside, as if just a little of the hurry had left everyone’s body.

“I guess all it took was snow?” you said. Your boyfriend looked contented, happier than you had seen him in a while.

When you returned to your apartment, the snow had thickened in the crisp midnight air. It fell like petals, and had quickly coated everything with nearly a centimeter. You smiled again, handing your boyfriend a cup of the warm cocoa you had just finished heating.

“Let’s play tomorrow!” He smiled back and lifted your face to his, leaving light kisses on your lips.

“All day long!” He grinned again, turning back to the window to face the sky. Leaning your head on his shoulder, you followed his actions. Under the moon’s milky light, the snow glittered as though entire city had been dusted with sugar. For the first time in what felt like ages, you had no uncertainties. You hugged your boyfriend tighter; your lips warm against his neck. Everything was exactly where it was supposed to be.