When He's Scared By a Spider

Optional Bias Scenarios

 

You sighed with relief and happiness as you unpacked the final box. The apartment was looking incredible, and you couldn’t wait to get it arranged. Your boyfriend had come over to help you move the furniture, and afterwards the two of you were going to get dinner.

“What if we put the couch over there?” He gestured to the wall opposite you, suggesting a new location. You held your hands in front of you, trying to picture it.

“That would be perfect!” You jumped up enthusiastically, preparing to push the sofa while he pulled. You drew your hand back quickly. A staple left in the couch from the packaging pricked your finger slightly, drawing a pinprick drop of blood.

“You okay?” he asked, starting to walk towards you in concern. You shook your head and hands, smiling happily.

“I’m fine! I’ll just go grab a bandage.” He smiled back at you and shifted the couch as you ran to the bathroom cupboard. You could hear him shifting the sofa away from the wall, but the movement was interrupted by loud, sudden, and rather un-masculine screams.

You ran into the living room, startled and confused.

“What happened?” As you rushed over, you noticed your boyfriend shaking and staring behind the couch, petrified with shock. You peered over the edge, shifting your eyes rapidly to see what had frightened him. A tiny spider no bigger than your thumb was sitting innocently on the wall, probably startled by your boyfriend’s feminine screams. You began to laugh uncontrollably, falling backwards onto the sofa.

“That’s what you freaked out about? It’s a tiny little thing! You’re scared of that?” You could barely contain your amusement as you scooped up the spider into a cup taking it to the balcony outside. As you passed your boyfriend with the bug, he stumbled backwards quickly, visibly shaken. When you returned, he was sitting on the couch, pouting grouchily.

“I wasn’t scared of it. It just startled me.” You stifled another wave of laughter.

“Then what was all that screaming about?” He glared childishly.

“I’m not scared of spiders!” You laughed, walking over and kissing him lightly on the nose.

“It’s okay. I won’t tell anyone.” He sighed in defeat, getting up to finish moving the couch.

“You better not, or I’m going to tell everybody about that thing with the toothpaste.” You opened your mouth wide, jumping at him and pushing him playfully onto a chair.

“You wouldn’t dare!” He laughed, pulling you onto his lap.

“I see we’ve reached an agreement.” It was your turn to pout as he laughed. He ruffled your hair carefully and kissed your cheeks. “Let’s finish arranging the room.” You smiled and nodded your head in amusement.