When You Watch the Olympics On TV

Optional Bias Scenarios

Both of you leaned on the edge of the couch with anticipation. You shoved playfully at each other, fighting for a better view of the television screen. A loud crack echoed from the speakers, and the excitement doubled as the relay began.

You and your boyfriend were watching Olympic events together with a few of his band members. In this particular race, your home country happened to be competing against his, and the banter between you two was biting and sarcastic.

“Are you kidding?” you said, before the race started. “He looks like he runs slower than my grandmother.” Your boyfriend rolled his eyes dramatically.

“Have you seen the guy competing for your country? What a wimp.” You glared at him, pushing his baseball cap over his eyes.

“Shut up, it’s starting. I want to watch him lose.” Doubtful laughter rang in your ears as you both leaned close to the television.

As the athletes raced, both of you yelled at the screen, encouraging the respective competitors. You threw wild bets and insults at each other, and had scooted closer to the TV in the process.

“What the hell?” asked one of s, staring at you from his armchair across the room. Your boyfriend waved his hand absently at the boy, shooing him away.

“Yes!” he yelled loudly, as his favored athlete began to take the lead. You clenched your fist in the carpet, silently begging yours to surpass him. Neither of you were even especially fond of the particular sport, but had allowed the excited and competitive atmosphere to destroy any chance of normal conversation.

As the runners neared the finished, you shouted out with resounding victory. Your country’s athlete had taken second place, while your boyfriend’s had fallen back into forth.

“That’s right!” you yelled, mocking your boyfriend with an excited victory dance. “I told you he would beat him! I told you!” Your boyfriend groaned and complained, mumbling about rigged measurements and beginner’s luck. Another member of his group walked into the room.

“Is someone dying? Why do I hear screaming?” You and your boyfriend turned around to see his band mate’s startled and concerned expression before turning back to each other.  Futile attempts to stifle your laughter were helpless, and both of you fell backwards onto the couch. raised an eyebrow before walking back out of the room, and the two of you continued to laugh uncontrollably.

It wasn’t often you were able to spend casual time together. Busy schedules and a public lifestyle meant seeing him for even an hour was difficult. You looked over at him as he continued to laugh. His dark eyes sparkled with a cheerful light, exuding as much happiness and entertainment as yours did.

The television announced the next event, noting the participating countries once again. You turned to your boyfriend with a malicious glint in your eyes.

“Ready to lose…round two?” As you and your boyfriend continued the playful argument, his band member sighed and leaned his head against his chair in frustration.

“When does it end?”