When You Faint After Donating Blood

Optional Bias Scenarios

“I’m so nervous!” you said, with an uncomfortable laugh. One of the stylists wrapped her arm around your shoulder, jumping anxiously in unison with you.

“Me too! I’ve never given blood before.” You held each other’s hands, laughing as you watched your boyfriend and his group members argue over who had to go first. Everyone in his group and a number of the staff agreed to donate when they caught word of the local blood drive. You followed along, finally agreeing to participate despite your equitable dislike for needles.

Much to your aversion, your turn to donate approached quickly. Your boyfriend had already given his, the sleeve of his shirt rolled up to display a bright pink bandage covering the spot where they had drawn from him. He smiled at you warmly, reaching for your free hand with a tight grip.

“You’ll be fine!” he encouraged. “It’ll be over before you know it.” You tried to relax your arm, but tensed the muscle as soon as the nurse touched you with rubbing alcohol. “Relax,” he said. “I promise, you’ll be fine! Just squeeze my hand.” You turned away from your arm, anticipating the injection’s pain. Your fingers tightened firmly around his when the needle made contact, and you squeezed your eyes shut in discomfort. He reached his other hand to your cheek, almost distracting you from the pain with his careful touch. “See, it’s not so bad. You’re almost done.” When your arm was finally freed you let forth a sigh of thankful relief. Your boyfriend smiled proudly, kissing your cheek with a grin. “You did great!”

A few minutes of conversation passed once everyone had finished, and you were soon returning to your apartment with your boyfriend in tow. He opened the door for you, locking the car simultaneously with the click panel. When he turned back to the apartment, he dropped his bag, rushing towards you.

The moment you stepped in the front door, a dizzy rush buzzed in your head. You crumpled to the ground quickly, not fully recovered from your blood donation.

You woke with a start, jumping at the sight of your boyfriend’s face mere centimeters from yours. He laughed lightly, adjusting the cool cloth he had placed on your forehead.

“Sorry about that. I didn’t mean to startle you!” You sat up slightly with his assistance, shifting comfortably under his touch.

“Did I faint?” He nodded.

“Yeah. It’s kind of weird that you didn’t faint until now, but I guess you hadn’t really been walking around. I think that’s my fault.” You shook your head, the cloth falling over your eyes. He laughed, moving it back in position. Trying to sit up, you leaned forward against his chest. He eased you back down to the couch, counteracting your efforts. “I don’t think so. You need to rest a bit.” You rolled your eyes, but allowed him to sit next to you, adjusting your position as he moved your head to his lap.

“I’m okay, honestly.” He placed a hand in your hair, the other tracing circles on your cheek.

“I’m sure you are. Just rest.” You closed your mouth, deciding instead to roll over, closing your eyes. He shifted comfortably, talking to you quietly as you both recovered from the day’s events.