When You Fall Off a Cruise Ship

Optional Bias Scenarios

A/N: Tbh I wasn’t really sure how to write this request haha. And I was looking up what they do if someone goes overboard and it brought me to this awful depressing article o_o

It was like a movie clip, the way the cruise ship cut through the unbelievably blue ocean. You stood at the ship’s bow, laughing as the headwind caused your scarf to flap around. Your boyfriend wrapped it tighter around your shoulders.

His arms encircled your waist, his chin resting comfortably on your shoulder. You’d both been eagerly anticipating this cruise together. The weather had been holding up nicely for the last few days, and together you’d taken advantage of every opportunity you had to explore the ship.

There were swimming pools, restaurants, and gorgeous bars crammed onto different floors of the ship, no shortage of things to do. Despite the countless amenities, your favorite thing to do was standing at the ship’s edge, letting the wind push back your hair and arms.

The horizon was completely clear, like a sheet of blue glass blending indistinguishably into the cloudless sky.

Early in the morning of your cruise’s final day, you walked out onto the first floor of the ship while your boyfriend slept. He was enjoying every moment of extra rest he could get on the vacation. A colorful flag was flapping from the end of the boat, frayed and faded from years on the sea. One end of the flag was loose, flapping askew in the airstream. You reached forward, trying to grab and hook it back on the ring.

The ground was slippery with mist, and you fell forward, hitting your hand on the sign warning you not to lean on the railing you had been standing on. Your heart began to race hastily as you fell, flipping unceremoniously over the edge and into the ocean below. Although the boat moved slowly, you found yourself tumbling beneath the water that ran behind it. Your mind was numb and shocked, your shoulder pulsing from where you hit it on the way down.

“Help!” you shouted when you’d regained comprehension. “Someone! Help me!” The boat was moving away slowly, but you couldn’t keep up with it. “Help! I’m drowning!” You could see someone look over the edge, peering out to lock their eyes on yours.

“I’ll get help!” they shouted, running off to find someone.

“Wait!” you shouted. “Help!” Less than a minute passed before several cruise staff gathered at the boat’s edge, a crowd of people forming behind them. You could see a rescue boat come out of the ship, deployed to help. The driver reached for you carefully, making sure you had no broken bones before pulling you onto the boat behind him.

Your mind was a blur as they hoisted you onto a stretcher. It never occurred to you that the cruise line would have full medical staff on board, trained and prepared.

“Oh my god! Oh my god, that’s my girlfriend!” The shouting got louder as your boyfriend pushed through the crowd, scrambling in front of a couple of the rescuers. “Oh my god, how did this happen? Are you okay?”

“Please don’t touch her,” an EMT told him gently. “We don’t know what kind of injuries she’s got.” Finally aware, you reached for his extended hand. He squeezed your fingers, wiping tears from his cheek with his free hand.

“Is she going to be okay?” he asked.

“I think so.”

You waited through several hours of doctor examinations, questions, forms, and documentation. It was frightening and dizzying, but your boyfriend did everything you could to help you relax.

“I’m not letting you out of my sight on this boat again,” he said with a careful smile. “I can’t believe you actually fell off the boat.” He looked baffled, biting his lip forcefully.

“It’s okay,” you said. “You can laugh.” He let out a soft chuckle, your hair away from your forehead.

“Seriously though, you need to be careful,” he urged. “I don’t know what I would do if I lost you.” The crease in his brow deepened, a frown harsh on his lips. “Promise me you’ll be careful?”

You sat up straight, pulling his face closer to give him a kiss. “I promise.”