When He Accidentally Makes You Cry

Optional Bias Scenarios

 

You carried the brown boxes excitedly into your new apartment as your boyfriend followed behind. The old complex you lived in was less than perfect. The hallways were stale and dark, the rooms small, and the windows looked out onto a shady patio, with cracked cement and warped dingy lawn chairs.

Finally you had the opportunity to move into the apartment of your dreams. The spacious rooms allowed enough area to invite more people over, and the balcony by the kitchen looked out at the sparkling lights of the busy city at night. As you set down the boxes on the floor, you saw something fall out of one and roll under the new couch. Lying down on the ground to pick it up, you reached carefully under the furniture.

Just as you were about to grab it, your boyfriend wandered in with yet another stack of boxes. Unfortunately, he slipped on the new hardwood floor, sending both him and the boxes toppling on top of you as you tried to stand up. He quickly scrambled up and lifted the boxes away.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” As you processed the situation, a sharp pain pulsed in your shoulder. You tried to conceal the pain you were feeling, but several tears ran down your cheeks without bound.

Concerned, he sat you up and pulled the collar of your sweater down and to the side, assessing the damage the fall had caused to your shoulder and collarbone. The guilt in his dark eyes made you feel worse than the collision had. Gently, he leaned forward and kissed the spot that was just barely beginning to reveal the telltale tinge of a bruise.

“I’m so sorry,” he repeated. “I can’t believe I hurt you like that. I swear I didn’t mean to!” He looked at you almost pleadingly. “I’m seriously so sorry.” The pain began to subside, and you laughed lightly at his unbearable cuteness.

“I’m alright, I swear! I’ve done much worse myself,” you assured him, laughing through your words. He smiled with a sheepish smirk.

“I know, but it usually isn’t my fault.” You shrug, a winch flashing on your face with the motion.

“Really, it’s fine. It could happen to anyone.” He nodded lightly and helped you stand up, still feeling guilty for the harm he caused. Picking you up, he set you on the couch and insisted you stay there. As much as you wanted to help him bring in the rest of the boxes, you felt that doing so would only make him feel worse.

When he finished piling the rest of the boxes in your entryway, he came and sat down next to you, placing his arm carefully around your waist and leaning closely. He kissed your cheek repeatedly until you turned your head and met your lips with his. Wrapping his arms tightly around your waist, he grinned into the kiss.

“Maybe we should test out this couch?” You laughed softly, but pushed him down gently and brought your lips to his once again.