When He Misses You At Work

Optional Bias Scenarios

You wiped down the last of the tables, crumbs and coffee stains vanishing under the soapy washcloth. The little sandwich shop had been especially busy today, and you had found yourself hard at work right up to the last minute of your shift.

“You’ve done so much today,” your boss said with a friendly smile. Her eyes smiled too, her motherly friendliness radiating as it usually did. “You can go on home. You’ve worked hard; I can finish the rest.” You thanked her, putting away the cleaning supplies and hanging up your apron.

“Have a good night!” You said, giving a slight bow as you exited the store. It was chilly outside, and you wrestled your arms back into the oversize cardigan you had worn on your walk to work. It belonged to your boyfriend, his familiar and comforting smell still tangled in its threads. The sun was beginning to set beneath rooftops and cool spring air. You pulled your phone from your purse to begin the short walk home.

               HIM>Hey baby~

He had texted you while you were working, one of the only ways you were able to communicate with each other when his group was busy.

               YOU>You still there?

You replied while wandering down the sidewalk, your eyes switching between the phone and the path ahead. You’d had too many instances of tripping and running into things to be able to text quickly while walking.

               HIM>Yeah. Taking a break. Was work okay?

               HIM>I miss you

               HIM>I miss you lotssss

You laughed quietly as his messages popped up one by one. After the two of you had gone without seeing each other for a while, his texts always began to take on a whiny tone.

               YOU>work was busy but good. I miss you toooo

               YOU>when do you have a night off next?

His company’s building was just a few blocks away from where you were, but you knew better than to show up unexpectedly. Between nosy fans and his busy nights, there simply wasn’t a realistic way to see him without planning.

               HIM>not sure

               HIM>hopefully soon.

               YOUyeah. Maybe next Tuesday?

               HIM> maybe! I have to get back to practice.

               HIM> I love you!

You neared the front of your apartment building.

               YOU> Have fun!

You entered the passcode to your building and made your way toward the elevator. Suddenly, you heard quick footsteps running behind you.

“What happened to ‘I love you, too!?’” Your boyfriend was behind you, breathing heavily from his run.

“What? What are you doing here? How long were you following me?” You laughed loudly, hugging him tightly when he opened his arms for you.

“Pretty much since you got off of work. I thought it would be funny. They gave us tonight off!” As you entered the elevator together, he leaned over, giving you a kiss on your forehead and your lips.

“I love you, too,” you assured him, reaching for the button to your floor. “I’m glad you’re here.” He smiled, holding you tightly around the shoulder as you rode to the floor together.