heartbeat

2 Years...will love...change?

“Are you not feeling well?”

“Why the question oppa?” I asked as I ensured that I’ve everything that Hoon need for his trip out today.

“We’re heading to the Kim’s now that’s why.” He said making me giggle.

“Don’t be paranoid oppa it’s just a regular check-up.”

“But…”

“I know I just had my check up last week oppa but no harm to go often right? I wouldn’t want the same thing to happen to me and the kids again.” I said reminding him of my previous incident with Hoon’s hyung.

“Ahrasso.” He said giving me a hug and a light kiss on my forehead before returning into the room to get Hoon ready.

Jiyong oppa drove me to the Kim’s hospital with the car he had rented on the second day of his time here in Hawaii since it was easier for him to bring me anywhere while Yoon Shik oppa takes our family car off to work. Tapping on the fact that the neighbourhood that I was staying in was rather quiet, although we still had to be careful, the three of us was able to have some family time outdoors, which I doubt we wouldn’t be able to do so back in Korea even if everyone knows about Hoon.

“Ready?” Jiyong oppa ask with Hoon in his left arm.

“Mmmmm~” I gave him a smile before he drape Hoon’s bag on his right shoulder and wrap his right arm around my waist to support me as we made our way to the car.

Placing Hoon’s bag on the front passenger seat, Jiyong oppa proceed to open the back seat door and after ensuring that I was seated, he close the door before moving to the other side and place Hoon in his car seat. Finally we were ready for our trip to the Kim’s hospital that wasn’t really far away from the house.

Once arriving, Jiyong oppa repeated the sequence he did earlier, except this time it was the other way round where he got to Hoon first, then to get me out of the car before getting Hoon’s bag. After which the three of us head to the front door, where Nurse Lee was already standing at holding the door open to welcome us.

“Yoon Ji-ssi you’re here.” She said with a smile.

“You shouldn’t have come out unnie.” I said feeling bad for the special treatment.

“It’s alright. It has been a quiet day today. Besides you guys look like you need some help.”

“Thank you.” Jiyong oppa said making Nurse Lee blush.

“Mrs Kim has been anticipating your arrival.” She said as she leads us to omma Kim’s room.

“Thank you.” I thank her before we enter the room following a knock to announce our arrival.

“Sweetie you’re here.” Omma Kim said as she looks up from her files upon our arrival.

“Neh omma.” I said before she got up and helped Jiyong oppa to settle me on the chair.

“Looks like things have been going fine over the past week?” She said making me look at Jiyong oppa before a smile broke out on our faces.

“You could say so.” I said as I rest my hand on Jiyong oppa’s that was resting on my shoulders, stealing a quick glance at him again.

“I’m so glad you’re here boy. I haven’t seen this girl’s face radiate like what I’ve seen today.” Omma Kim said making me blush.

“I’m glad to have her by my side too.” Jiyong oppa replied.

“Shall we start?” omma Kim asked before I got up from my seat, once again with Jiyong oppa’s help.

Starting with the weighing machine, omma Kim monitors my weight and make sure that there isn’t any abnormal gain and most importantly weight loss. Forgetting that Jiyong oppa have been with me last week for the check up, as soon as I got up on the weighing machine my hands immediately shoot forward to cover up the numbers.

“Yah what’s there to cover?” omma Kim asked as she laps my hand away lightly. Although reluctant, I still return my hands so that omma Kim can take note of my weight.

“I’m so fat right now.” I said with a huge pout.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Omma Kim said as she slaps my before Jiyong oppa help me off the machine whilst giggling at our interaction.

“I feel like a fat cow right now. I’m even heavier than this oppa!” I exclaimed pointing at Jiyong oppa, making him ruffle my hair as we settle back on the chair beside omma Kim’s desk.

“That’s because you are pregnant right now. If you’re still your original weight with that huge belly, it’s either you or the kids are suffering from malnutrition. Besides that Jiyong still loves you don’t you?”

“Of course! Honestly I like chubby Yoon Ji better.” He said as he pinches my cheeks lightly making me pout.

“Shall we proceed on the bed?” omma Kim ask as I moved towards the bed and lie down, getting ready for my ultra-sound.

As usual Kim omma started with the jelly against my belly before she got the probe in her hands. All this while I was looking at Jiyong oppa’s direction as I started to get excited on my own. I suppose Jiyong oppa notice me look as he held onto my hands. Gosh I can’t wait to see how he would react to what is coming up next I thought as I giggled to myself.

*thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump*

I prepared myself for the upcoming change that was going to appear on Jiyong oppa’s face very soon. Honestly I thought he was going to realise earlier but he didn’t and hence making me nervous and excited. I counted silently as I waited for the change and was so engrossed in Jiyong oppa’s reaction that I wasn’t even focusing on my kids.

“Hold on a second.” I heard Jiyong oppa whispered to himself making me smile.

“Yes appa Kwon?” I asked looking at him making him look at me, then to the screen and once again back at me. The shock on his face was epic.

“That…” He said pointing to the screen showing the ultra-sound image and once again looks at me before back at the screen. I swear I saw him closing his eyes and opening to stare at the screen to make sure that it wasn’t his eyes that was playing tricks on him.

“Another speechless father in the house.” Omma Kim said making me giggle.

“Do all fathers act like this?” I asked making her nod.

“It’s almost like a formula thing in them to act like that during their very first ultra-sound.” We continued to chat as if Jiyong oppa wasn’t around. “It’s interesting isn’t it?” omma Kim ask Jiyong oppa making him nod, his eyes refusing to leave the screen although he couldn’t understand what was going on on the screen.

“Is that…the baby’s heartbeat?” He stuttered.

“Correction. It’s YOUR baby’s hearbeat.” Omma Kim replied.

“But why is it so fast?” Jiyong oppa questioned again.

“Aigoo first time ultrasound dads and their endless questions.” Omma Kim said while shaking her head with a smile on her face. “The normal fetal heart rate ranges between 120-180 bpm aka beats per minutes while we adults have a heart rate ranging from 60-100 bpm. The reason why it beats faster is because their hearts are smaller than what we have. Also the fact that their lungs have yet to fully develop, babies have to breathe faster to move more air in and out of their lungs, along with the heart pumping faster to make enough deoxygenated blood available for gas exchange within the developing lungs.”

“Amazing.” Jiyong oppa exclaimed, as he held tighter to my hands.

“You feeling ok?” omma Kim directed to me as I reply with a nod. “Yah I know you’re excited but you should take care of your wife young man.”

“Sorry.” Jiyong oppa apologised to me making me shake my head with a smile.

“I understand” I said giving him a smile before we gave our attention to the screen once again.

“Is there a specific gender that you are looking forward to son?” omma Kim threw the question at Jiyong oppa making him look at me.

“Well…all fathers prefer a daughter don’t they?” He said carefully. “But if we’re having a son I would love him to my fullest too.” He immediately added, as if afraid that if it turns out to be a boy me and the baby would think that he wouldn’t love him as much as if it was a girl.

“Sorry baby but omma prefers you to be a boy because omma knows that if you’re a girl, omma would be terribly jealous.” I said, teasing Jiyong oppa.

“Yah why do you have to be jealous?”

“There’s a saying that daughters are father’s lovers in their previous life.”

“But you’re my love in this life so I would love you the most.” He defended himself.

“Wait till she’s born. Right omma?”

“My heart goes out to you as someone who has experience.” Omma Kim said as the two of us started to giggle looking at Jiyong oppa’s flustered face.

“Yah~” he dragged his tone as if asking me to stop in an aegyo way.

“And sons would always stick to their omma instead of appa. Protecting their omma like Hoon when appa has dirty thoughts~”

“Oh and sons can get really jealous, making a fuss when their appa wants to kiss omma cause they are the only ones who can do so.” Omma Kim supported me making Jiyong oppa pout.

“But…but we already have Hoon to fight with me for you.” He said softly making omma Kim and I burst out into laughter.

“I’m sorry baby boo. Looks like your appa really wants you to be a girl.” I said and just then I felt movements, as if the life in me was reacting to my words, as to whether it’s trying to tell me that it’s a he or she was vague. “Don’t worry omma and appa are just kidding. We love you no matter what neh?” I said.

“Appa love you no matter if you’re a he or she. Believe appa neh?” he said as he rubs my belly as if trying to reach out to it.

“Aigoo oppa why are you so cute?” I asked as I pat his hand that was on my belly.

“So can I conclude that the father wants daughter while the mother wants a son? You guys do know that by now the gender is fixed and that nothing would change despite your decisions right?” Omma Kim chuckled. “Actually you guys don’t have to worry about that though.”

“Why omma?” I asked and honestly my heart skipped a beat, worried that something went wrong again this time round.

Well of course everyone who heard that would have thought of it as good news but because of my previous traumatic experience I would say, I tend to think negatively. Negative like…you know without a gender? There have been cases of babies being born with Disorder of Development or something like that so my worries aren’t groundless.

“Yah it’s nothing bad don’t worry.” Omma Kim assured me since she knew what I was thinking too while Jiyong oppa held my hand and got closer to the bed to me, letting me know that I have his support. “Baby girl are you ready?”

“I guess?” I said feeling a little unsure right now as compared to a few moments ago when I entered the room with Jiyong oppa.

“You’ll be fine with Jiyong.” Omma Kim said as she gives Jiyong oppa an eye signal for him to give me his support.

“Don’t worry neh?” He said as he sandwich my hand in between his and held it up to his lips, leaving a soft smooch against the back of my hand.

“Congratulations, you two are expecting fraternal twins. A boy and girl twin, best of both worlds.”