Decisions being made

Voice

 

“There is my son,” his mother stood up with a plastered grin.

“Don’t call me that,” Yonghwa stood from a distance waiting for what he was called for. She kept her grin as she approached him closer.

“This is for the same matter we discussed before,” she started.

“Just give up already! You were never in my life before so why now?” He questioned.

“I’ve always been in your life Yonghwa! I may not have been there physically but I always made sure you lived well! Everything I do! Everything I do is truly for you!” She confessed trying to get him to listen to her.

“Seeing you enjoy life without me convinced me otherwise,” he looked her straight in the eye.

“Well I’m sorry you feel that way. Even now what I am doing. It is for you,” one of her workers hands her the evidence taken from Jung Shin’s interaction with Shinhye.

“Just get it over with already. What you needed to tell me about my girlfriend-“

“Don’t forget your friend Jung Shin. Here take a look at these,” she passed him the photos. Her men even took pictures of the time the two went to the beach together. It was when Jung Shin found out about her dilemma and decided to go behind the leaders back to help her. There were dozens of photos of them smiling and spending time with one another. “These ones are my recent ones. They’re from the day before yesterday. I’m sure she told you she went off to go grocery shopping or something commoners do,” she observed her son’s expression. Most of the photos looked like solid proof they went on a date behind his back. One picture showed the two in an embrace in front of Jung Shin’s car at the beach. Shinhye was thanking him for giving her the idea of approval from his mother. Another picture showed Shinhye enjoying an expensive meal at a restaurant while Jung Shin watched her. Yonghwa didn’t know the true meetings behind these photos. His jealousy boiled up reaching an exploding point. His anger is higher than the night he combined his fist with Jung Shin’s jaw.

“None of this can be true!” He ripped every photo in shreds. One picture remained in his hands. It showed Shinhye smiling. He hasn’t seen her happy in a while now. Knowing this picture was taken recently on that day he caught the two… His anger died down but he wasn’t calm. He was breaking.

“I don’t doubt that you love her. You want her to be happy like in that picture. Look who she is with in this state of happiness. The person she is standing next to isn’t you.” His mother pushed on. Searching through her smart phone she contained the pictures from their first date. “Look at these. This is from one date- your first date! Does she look happy here?” She let him compare photos. On her phone it showed Shinhye in pain because of Yonghwa. The last picture Yonghwa didn’t shred showed Shinhye smiling because of a day with Jung Shin. “I know it sounds cliché but it’s the truth. If you love her, you will let her go.”

Yonghwa became paralyzed with fear of being alone again. Spending about only a month with Shinhye he forgot all about his entire life being alone. But it hurt more knowing Shinhye would be in pain because, “I need her.”

“But she doesn’t need you,” his mother knew just what to say.

“I thought she…” he stopped himself from saying what he wanted. It would only destroy what was left of his heart.

For a good five minutes dead silence filled the studio. Once echoing covers the band did. The recent ones were the most memorable. Having Shinhye there smiling at him while he sang his heart out. Now they’re becoming the past. A memory left in the past that won’t be continued.

“I have a recording of Jung Shin and his ex-discussing his true feelings about your girlfriend.” She added.

“I don’t need to hear that,” he replied softly.

“You don’t believe me?”

“HE TOLD ME HE LOVED HER! I…I don’t need to hear it,” he spoke much louder.

“She’ll be fine dear. And so will you. I know everything! I’m your mother! No breakup is easy so to really separate from her you’ll need to make sure she doesn’t want to come back. It will hurt but it won’t hurt as much as it does now.” She took her smart phone back deleting their date photos. Yonghwa took one last look at the smiling girl before ripping it in half.

Meanwhile…

“Shinhye please meet me in front of that restaurant we ate together! I’d like to help you on one little thing before you go get your approval,” Ae Cha called her.

“Okay kamsahamnida Ae Cha!” Shinhye was surprised she contained her phone number.

“Anyoung,” the two hung up. Ae Cha dialed for another call right after. “Jung Shinssi I did it. Now get your over here before I really regret what I set up,” Ae Cha hung up before hearing his thanks.

Jung Shin found her right in front of the restaurant as planned. He smiled seeing her wait patiently for someone else. Instead of buying her a full outfit he bought her necklace that sparkled with floral designs. Every girl he ever dated loved jewelry. He crept up from behind. Making sure she had no idea he was there he surprised her by placing the necklace around her neck. After securing it she turned around expecting Ae Cha to be adding an accessory. Shinhye stepped back surprised seeing him.

“J-Jung Shinssi I didn’t expect to-“

“Yea well Ae Cha helped me getting you here. I knew that if I called myself you wouldn’t have come,” he told her. Shinhye looked down at the necklace he placed around her neck. “Do you like it? If you don’t I could always get you something else-“

“I think it’s beautiful but you can’t win a girl’s heart with jewelry. And you can’t win my heart because someone else already holds it,” she cut him off.

“Look Shinhye I’m sorry that I took you by surprise the other night. I was stupid for doing that at the wrong place and the wrong time. Especially that Yonghwa witnessed it. But I am not sorry for how I feel.” He took one step closer hoping she wouldn’t take one step back. Shinhye held her ground giving him a chance to speak.

“You like me?” She asked.

“No, I love you.” He confessed. Shinhye felt a wave of guilt hit her again. For once this is something she couldn’t be useful for. She couldn’t keep everyone happy this time. No matter how much she wanted to make sure everyone was satisfied. This is the one thing she couldn’t do. “I know you don’t love me. But it would help if you gave me the chance,” he continued.

“Jesonghabnida Jung Shin but I can’t give you that chance. You used to have it before things changed with Yonghwa. I won’t lie to you there. But I don’t think that chance ever stood a chance. I’ll be going now. Kamsahamnida for all your help,” she bowed to him.

“Shinhye please at least give me one more day,” he asked. She stood up straight to listen. “I want one day with you. Let me love you one more day,” he repeated. The two ate at the restaurant just like before. Shinhye knew Jung Shin was in pain. For that it hurt even more. Everyone around her so far has been breaking. “I left the band,” he confessed as he watched her stare at the meal she used to get excited over.

“You left?” She asked unable to comprehend. Shinhye dropped her fork on her plate. “You left because of me. The band is now…just like what she said. Because of me everyone is-”she stood up abruptly ready to have that talk with Yonghwa’s mother.

“Shinhye before you go, just answer me yes or no. Will you ever come to feel the way about Yonghwa for me?” Jung Shin knew the answer. He just needed to hear it. Shinhye took off his necklace placing it in his palm.

“Jesongheyo but the answer is no,” with that said she ran.