Laid off

Voice

"Ottoke," Shinhye's became the hunch back as she let her head just hang there. Her feet took her outside of her school. Oh wait...EX school. Yonghwa kept a close eye on her. He treated this like an important mission. As if he were suddenly working for the secret service. 

"I would protect her with my life," he admitted. Watching her all down in the dumps he was tempted to get out and embrace her. But if he did that, she would be pissed off for his stalking. "Why is she out already? That wasn't even an hour. Or was it?" He checked the time on his car radio. 

"Ottokeyo! Omma! Appah! I'll have to apply at another school, but I don't have money for the tuition! I have to get money by having a job-" she cut herself off with a gasp. "I DO HAVE A JOB!" She exclaimed. Shinhye broke into a sprint heading to the bus stop. 

"Someone's on the move," Yonghwa pulled his carseat back up. 

Shinhye remembered the last time she rode the bus. She was almost eaten alive there. "Should I risk that again?" She asked herself while checking her area. Her workplace wasn't so far from where she stood. "I'll walk," she decided. 

"Where is she going?" Yonghwa followed by a fair distance once again. Shinhye entered 'Papaya' a retail store in her neighborhood's shopping center. "Ajummah!" She called out. 

"Omo! Shinhyessi! You're here!" A woman behind the cashier greeted her. 

"Yes and I'm ready to work! My regular shift starts an hour later but I can work an hour earlier," Shinhye headed to where her uniform would be kept in their back room. However her boss had other plans in mind. 

"W-Wait Shinhyessi! What are you talking about? You don't work here anymore," she dropped a bomb on her. Just like school, she was being let go.Shinhye couldn't believe her day. Losing her job now! This was her only way of earning money on her own. This job helped pay for half the apartment bills, her cell bills, her school fees and tuition. It also included her pocket money which she hardly spent due to all her other payments. Her only independence was now destroyed. 

"Did a woman call you?" She asked.

"Yes, she told us that yo-"

"I would be busy going on tours and everything because of my boyfriend," she answered for her.

"Exactly what you just said," her boss noticed the expression on Shinhye's face. She wasn't sad, she definitely was far from shedding a tear. 

"Tell me who this woman is," she demanded. Her first assumption was the band's manager. But then she knew their manager would at least alert her."Is it anyone I know at least?" She asked.

"I thought you would already know her. Since you're so close with her son in public," her former boss laughed.

"Yonghwassi's omma?" Shinhye repeated. That was unexpected. Question marks crowded her head causing her temples to throb. "I don't understand," Shinhye stared at the counter trying to piece things together. Shinhye never knew Yonghwa's mother before she knew him personally and now. 

"Shinhyessi, she also told me to tell you to call her. If you ever come here, she wants to meet." Her boss slid her a scrap of paper with the phone number scribbled on. Without any hesitation Shinhye dialed the number on her cell as she left the store. 

"Yeobeoseyo?" The woman answered.

"Uh yeobeoseyo," Shinhye replied.

"Ah Shinhyessi. I've been waiting for your call. Wait right there at the retail store. I'll have a driver you to the studio that C.N.Blue records in. We'll chat there," with all that said she hung up without listening to what Shinhye had to say. 

"She wants me to meet her," Shinhye stuffed her cell in her pocket. 

"For the first time then? Well if you want to make a good impression for the mom you're going to have to dress the part," her former boss gestured to her appearance. 

"Ugh this was Yonghwa's fault," Shinhye groaned out.

"Yonghwa's fault? The boy is a rock star and he dresses you up like a hoodlum?" She crossed her arms. 

"No it's for protection. A lot of anti fans out there want me gone," Shinhye sighed as she tugged on the ends of her hoodie.

"Well haters are going to hate. You're going to need to dress up, this is a big occasion! I'll pick out an outfit while you man the register," she left the counter.

"Ahjumma kamsahamnida! Does that mean I have my job back?"

"No, this will be your last shift with your last pay. I'll miss you but we're still friends." That disappointed her but at the same time she was grateful. Her teacher didn't let her stay for one more little lesson. Then again, she missed a lot. Whatever the class were learning Shinhye wouldn't understand a word. "Just return the outfit the next time you visit alright?"

"Of course I will. I can't believe she would get me laid off like that," Shinhye gave a customer change.

"She's right though. You would be busy with tours and keeping up with his lifestyle."

"I've been keeping up so far. But I don't know if I want to go on tours," Shinhye admitted. 

"You're going to have to talk to your boyfriend about that," her former boss smirked. 

Meanwhile...

"Ugh she went into a clothes store," Yonghwa figured Shinhye would be in there forever. He no longer questioned her hurry to get here. He wore a hoodie over his head, sunglasses were on, and his emergency blanket in the back seat covered his very being. He moved the seat back again to lay his head down. "I might as well take a nap," he was secured in comfort with tinted windows. No one will notice him. As he won't notice his girlfriend leaving. 

"Gomowoyo ahjummah!" Shinhye thanked her former boss for the clothes. 

"Yah! I'm not that old yet! Call me unnie or I'll strip you of those," she crossed her arms. 

"Mianhe," she muttered as she jumped for glee. The ends of her brownie hair were curled, light makeup applied, and her eyeshadow covered by her tacky sunglasses. A sky blue skirt hugged her hips as a cowboy style belt secured her floral top right over it. She even wore gladiator styled high heels. "I don't even recognize myself," she blushed looking at a full body mirror. 

"You look beautiful in all of your interviews honey! You gotta dress and act the part for his mom too," her former boss placed her hair neatly in front of her shoulders. 

"Shouldn't I be myself?" Shinhye asked while spinning around in her skirt. 

"Of course but at the same time you want to make a good impression. This is his mother now," that sent chills down her spine. 

"Omo maybe I should cancel then," Shinhye rubbed her arms and vibrated like a massage chair. 

"Babo you can't cancel! Now what would that say about yourself?" BEEP BEEP! A car horn stole the two's attention. 

"Anyonghaseyo I'm here for Park Shinhye," a man in a suit bowed right after he entered.

"There's no one by that name," Shinhye tried to back away but her friend pushed her forward.

"Be yourself," she gave one final push.