Bangtan at new year's

Adventures of Bangtan toddlers

A/N: First of all, I'd like to thank kpopsavedme for all the requests! Thanks! A New Year's one wouldn't have crossed my mind >u<. Second, I tried to follow a chronological order but well, I didn't see the request early enough...sorry!! XoX But let's just say that this chapter happened after Yoongi went to elementary school. (Sorry it's so confusing ><). Thirdly, sorry if this doesn't sound like the New Year you guys celebrate (because I live in Singapore and I think we celebrate New Year a little differently from Westerners?) So there's going to be a countdown and fireworks as BTS does spring cleaning and New Year treats shopping. Hope you enjoy!

********************************************************

"JIMIN STOP THROWING THE WATER ABOUT YOU GOT THE FLOOR WET! JUNGKOOK, DON'T EAT THE BROOM! TAEHYUNG THAT'S A BEE GET AWAY FROM IT!"

Seokjin grabs the broom from Jungkook and chases the bee out. The bee buzzes out of the house.

"B-But...Mr. Buzz..." Taehyung looks out of the window, trying to spot the bee.

"Mr. Buzz will be in the garden," says Seokjin, closing the window. "And you won't get to go out and see him until you finish spring cleaning." 

"Okay!" Taehyung grabs Seokjin's broom and starts sweeping diligently. He sweeps all the dust out of the house.

Seokjin sinks back into a chair, swiping at his forehead. It's only the morning and he's drenched in sweat. Besides, why are only the maknaes cleaning? Or at least...attempting to clean. 

"Yoongi! Namjoon! Hoseok!" 

Three boys emerge sleepily from the room still rubbing their eyes as they stand in front of their hyung.

"Go get cloths to wipe the window, Yoongi, Namjoon and Hoseok go clean the bathroom." 

Yoongi smirks at his dongsaengs as Namjoon and Hoseok's jaws drop.

"C-Clean the bathroom?" Hoseok looks like he's been cursed for life. "But, hyung, the bathroom is dirty. Jimin should do it." 

"Yeah, you're right," Seokjin realizes he should probably teach that dongsaeng a lesson. "JIMIN!" 

Jimin walks over, bucket of water in hand, the water sloshing in the bucket and splashing all over the floor. He dumps the bucket on the ground carelessly, and even more water spills out. Seokjin makes a mental note never to let Jimin handle the water bucket ever again.

"Go clean the toilet with Namjoon," Seokjin says, pointing towards the bathroom. 

"N-NO!" Jimin screams, and runs behind Yoongi. 

"Don't come to me!" Yoongi cries. "Your hands are dirty! Get away from me!" 

"Jimin, go with Namjoon to clean the toilet," Seokjin's voice has a note of finality in it. Jimin pouts, and realizes Seokjin's not going to let up, no matter how much aegyo he does. Jimin and Namjoon walk towards the bathroom after Seokjin gives them instructions on how to clean.

"I'll check up on you later," Seokjin calls. He turns to Yoongi, who is already standing on a chair to clean the windows. 

"Seokjin-hyung, the dirt isn't coming off." Hoseok has pulled up another chair and is wiping the windows with Yoongi.

"Wipe harder then," Seokjin says, soaking the cloth in the water bucket and trying to wipe the dirt off...but it's not coming off. 

"That was from when Jungkook puked all over the window the other time," Yoongi points to the dirt.

How did Jungkook's puke even get on the window? Seokjin wants to cry. He gets detergent out from the kitchen closet and begins to spray a bit at the puke stain before wiping it--the stain coming off almost immediately. 

"Cool, hyung! How'd you do that?" Yoongi's eyes are wide.

"If you need it, just ask," Seokjin says as he goes to check on Jimin and Namjoon.

***********************************************

"Jimin, clean the toilet bowl." 

"No!" 

"Jimin, your hyung's asking--"

"No! I. DON'T. WANNA!" Jimin screams, flailing about as he continues using the scrub to wipe at the bathroom walls and the sponge to clean the inside of the bathtub. He jumps into the bathtub and begins cleaning the walls, ignoring Namjoon's enraged yells. 

"Yah, Jimin--!" 

"I hear a lot of noise," Seokjin pokes his head into the bathroom.

"Hyung, Jimin doesn't wanna clean the bathroom." 

"Then you clean it," Seokjin says. 

"But I don't wanna." 

"Then why do you think Jimin would clean it?" 

"Because I'm his hyung." 

"Fine, I'll do it," Seokjin mutters, walking into the bathroom and taking the detergent and cloth from Namjoon. He flips the toilet bowl cover up and...

"WHO DIDN'T FLUSH THE TOILET?!"

****************************************************

There's a smashing sound from the outside, and Seokjin has barely finished cleaning the toilet when he tears off his face mask and runs outside, finding Taehyung and Jungkook staring at a broken vase. The pieces of the vase are everywhere. Jungkook sits down and holds up his foot, "Hyung, see, red." 

Seokjin's eyes bulge when he sees blood on Jungkook's foot. He carries the three-year old onto his shoulder as he heads over to the kitchen, yelling, "Taehyung, stay there!" Seokjin takes out the first aid kit and rubs some ointment on Jungkook's foot, making him squeal and scream in pain as the iodine is spread on the dabbed cut. Seokjin bandages Jungkook's foot. 

"There, you sit here, okay? Hyung will clean the mess outside. Jungkook, teary-eyed, nods.

"Tae, go get Hoseok and clean the bedrooms." 

"Okay," Taehyung nods, going over to Hoseok and Yoongi.

Seokjin only starts cleaning up the broken vase after he makes sure that Hoseok and Taehyung are safe in the bedrooms. He sweeps up the mess and makes sure that there is no more broken glass on the ground. 

"Done!" Jimin and Namjoon run out of the bathroom, cloths in their hands and face masks still on their faces.

"Alright, now you can go help clean in the Homework Room." 

"There's nothing much there to clean, hyung," Namjoon says.

"If you go and clean now I'll bring you out to buy New Year treats." 

"OKAY!" Jimin and Namjoon rush excitedly to the little study where the boys do homework every night...no matter how simple it is.

Seokjin breathes a sigh of relief.

**********************************************

"Yoongi, take care of the kids! Especially Taehyung and Jungkook!" 

Yoongi gives a silent nod as Seokjin helps Jimin put his shoes on and Namjoon to tie his laces. Seokjin holds onto the two's hands as they walk the familiar direction towards Chinatown, not too far from their house.

The whole place is buzzing with activity, and Seokjin and the two have to squeeze past a lot of Chinese as they browse through the shops, occassionally stopping whenever Jimin finds something interesting like a keychain in the shape of a snake or something. Many times, Seokjin has to profusely apologize to many people whom Namjoon accidentally bumped into or knocked. 

"Well, we have 30000 won," says Seokjin. "Bang Sihyuk-hyung said to buy anything we wanted...as long as it's food." 

"That looks cool!" Jimin pulls on Seokjin's arm and leads his hyungs to a decoration shop, where there is a decoration that caught his eye. It's a funny one indeed. A dog, a pig, two mice, two oxen and a bunny. 

"That's strange," Seokjin picks up the decoration. "Why are there only a few animals there? Aren't there supposed to be twelve? And there are some same animals." 

"Yeah, and it looks special, like it's meant for us!" Jimin grins.

Seokjin finds it very hard to resist when both Taehyung and Namjoon do aegyo, albeit subconsciously. 

"Okay, we'll buy this," Seokjin mutters, defeated. He hands it over to the shopkeeper and pays for it. Seokjin hangs it off his arm as the trio continues their shopping spree for treats.

"Hyung, what are these?" Namjoon points towards a jar filled with a weird food.

"That's pineapple tarts," Seokjin remembers the first time he tried pineapple tarts, and it was at Taehyung's age. "It's really nice." 

"Can I twy?" Jimin grabs the jar.

"Yeah, but I need to pay for it first," Seokjin says. He hands the money over to the lady at the counter, and he buys a jar of prawn rolls while he's at it. He remembers Namjoon loving prawn rolls when they bought it for New Year's last year. By the time Seokjin turns around to take the jar of pineapple tarts from Jimin, he's already wolfed down five.

"That's enough," Seokjin says, snatching the jar of pineapple tarts away from Jimin and twisting the cover of the jar tight. He puts the two into a plastic bag as they continue looking out for treats they might like.

There's a loud sound of drums and cymbals.

"Hyung, I wanna see what's that!" Jimin pulls on Seokjin's hand as they look around and discover a lion dance performance. The "lion" is standing on unsteady poles high up in the air and they're just leaping from one pole to another. The three boys stare in awe.

"Hyung, I wanna do that too!" Jimin grins, running towards the pole.

"No, Jimin," Seokjin pulls Jimin back by the back of his shirt and keeps his dongsaeng close to him. After a while, the lion dance performers ended their performance and they hop down from the poles. The poles wobble a little, then it becomes steady again. The crowd disperses as the lion dancers take a bow. The lion dancers take off their costumes and prepare to head back to the truck, laughing a little.

Seokjin looks down, opening his mouth to tell them that they are going to hunt for a few more snacks then go home, his mouth falls agape as he realizes his dongsaengs are gone! Heart beating in frenzied worry, Seokjin jostles past the throngs of people, yelling his dongsaengs' names. It isn't long before he finds Namjoon and Jimin talking to one of the lion dance performers.

"I wanna dance like you," Jimin grins up at the lion dance performer, a burly male of about...twenty? 

"Then you'd better work hard," says the performer. "Then maybe we'll take you in and you can dance like us." He ruffles Jimin's hair. "Chase your dreams, okay?" 

"But..aren't dreams the...dreams we have at night? How do we chase dreams?" Namjoon asks.

"Well, if you can't chase your dreams, you need to work hard to be what you want to be, okay? If you want to dance, then you'd better work hard at dancing," says the performer, smiling at the two of them. 

"Yay! Okay!" 

"I've been meaning to give this away to some lucky draw thing later, but here," the performer picks something up from the ground near where their phones and backpacks are. It's a small "lion" toy made of paper and it looks exactly like their costumes. Namjoon and Jimin's faces light up in delight as they take the toy. "Thank you so much!" 

"You're welcome, " says the performer. "I'm Tao, by the way. Hope to see you again." 

"Hope to see you again too!" Namjoon bows. They look around and see Seokjin standing a distance from them. 

"Hyung! Look what we got!" Jimin holds up the lion toy. He puts the head over his own and does a roaring sound. "Wwwwwoawwww!" 

Seokjin smiles, "Let's go hunting for some more food then we show it to the rest of your brothers, okay?" 

"Okay!" 

**********************************************

"Yoongi, take care of the kids, okay?"

Yoongi rolls his eyes, something his friend Hakyeon had taught him when he doesn't feel like doing something or when he feels like what the other person is saying is ridiculous. He finishes wiping the windows and puts down the cloth. He cleans up everything while Taehyung finishes sweeping the dust in the bedroom. 

"Hyung! Taehyung, come here!" 

At the sound of Hoseok's voice, Yoongi has no choice but to go up, but of course, he can't really leave Jungkook in the kitchen all by himself, so he goes over, picks up Jungkook in his arms, and finds Hoseok climbing up a hidden ladder he never knew was there. He climbs up the ladder with an excited Taehyung and the four of them enter an attic of sorts. 

There are random dusty boxes everywhere, and there are labels all over them.

"This one says New Year!" Taehyung grabs a box and places it in the middle of the attic, before opening it. The four boys peer into the box. It's full of New Year decorations and...firecrackers.

"Hyung, what is this?" Taehyung asks, holding up the firecrackers.

"I dunno," Yoongi says, shrugging, another nuance he picked up at school...from Taekwoon this time. But there's a small string at the bottom of the thing, so Yoongi thinks that maybe it needs fire? 

"There's a fire-maker in the kitchen," says Hoseok. "Me going to go get it." 

"Let's do it in the backyard," Yoongi says, snatching the firecrackers from Taehyung and walking downstairs. He puts Jungkook down on the ground and let Taehyung lead the maknae down to the backyard.

**************************************

"Here's the fire-maker," Hoseok holds up the lighter. Yoongi fiddles with it and finds the metal part that Bang Sihyuk-hyung always presses to make fire. He makes the fire. It's so hot...Yoongi looks at the flame in fascination. 

"Hyung, you wanna put fire there?" Taehyung looks down at the firecracker. 

Yoongi nods, and places the flame at the string.

The firecracker immediately makes a popping sound as the firecracker pops one by one. Jungkook starts crying and Yoongi brings hims somewhere further away, pressing the lighter and the fire goes out again. Hoseok and Taehyung scream as they hug onto each other. There's no stopping the fire now.

"C-Call the firemen!" yells Yoongi. Their backyard is in flames!

Hoseok starts crying as he and Taehyung run into the house. Hoseok cries harder as he sees the fire spreading quickly. 

"Yes, may I hel--"

"T-THEWE'S A FIRE! A FIRE! IN THE BACKYARD!" Hoseok screams into the phone. 

"Where's your house at? We'll be there immediately." 

Yoongi shouts an address. Hoseok relates it to the woman at the phone.

"We will be there immediately." 

Yoongi's the only one not crying now, and even then, he feels like he wants to. 

But he's the hyung and he needs to be brave if he ever wants to be in the basketball club. Yoongi rubs circles on Jungkook's back as the younger cries nonstop. He looks back at the backyard and can only see the backyard becoming brighter and brighter as flames dance in the sky...

Relief washes over him as he hears the sound of the sirens. Yoongi keeps his gaze fixed onto the backyard as water is sprayed onto the fire from a hose from the fire engine parked outside. Yoongi, in relief, sinks onto the ground, still holding Jungkook. Taehyung and Hoseok are still hugging each other, crying into each other's shoulders.

A fireman walks into the house, dressed in gear. 

"Are you kids alright?" he asks. 

"Y-Yeah, we're alright," Yoongi nods. 

"YOONGI-HYUNG WE ARE NOT ALWIGHT! THE HOUSE ALMOST DIED!" Hoseok cries, hugging Yoongi now.

"Where's your parent?" the fireman asks.

"He's not here," says Yoongi. "Seokjin-hyung went to buy New Year's treats and Bang Sihyuk-hyung isn't coming back until countdown."

"I see. What brave kids you must be," says the fireman, ruffling Yoongi's hair. At the sound of "brave", Yoongi grins.

"Yeah, am I brave?"

"Of course you are." 

***************************************

"YOONGI WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BACKYARD?" 

"Nothin'," Yoongi says, shrugging.

"T-THERE WAS A FIRECWACKER! IT WAS BUWERNING!" Hoseok cries, grabbing onto Seokjin's waist and refusing to let go. "But Yoongi-hyung was so brave he asked me to call the fireman!" 

"Firecracker?" Seokjin looks at Yoongi, frustration written across his face. "Did you go up into the attic?" 

"Hoseok found it," Yoongi says, pointing at his dongsaeng.

Seokjin sighs, "We didn't tell you because we didn't want you to go up there. It's dangerous. So now you know--there are dangerous stuff in there, so don't go up there, okay?" 

The four children nod.

"Well, we came back with treats--" Seokjin raises the bag of treats.

"WWWWWWOAWWWWW!" 

Hoseok screams and hides behind Yoongi as Yoongi taps the lion toy's head. "Is it plastic?" 

Jimin takes off the head, "You're so boring, hyung." 

"No I'm not," Yoongi says. 

"You weren't scwared." 

"But it's plastic. I'm not supposed to be scared," Yoongi folds his arms and pouts.

"Let's eat?" Seokjin waves an opened jar of prawn rolls in front of the bickering boys.

"Yeah!" Taehyung runs to the bag that Seokjin has brought back and finds...five jars of pineapple tarts, two more jars of prawn rolls, a bag of pork slices and even more. He grabs at least five jars and run off towards the couch, jumping on it and opening all the jars, stuffing his mouth full of the treats.

"Yah, don't be selfish! I want some too!" Hoseok jumps onto the couch next to Taehyung and they start eating the food.

By tomorrow all the treats will be gone...into his dongsaeng's stomachs, Seokjin thinks as he sits on the couch also and eat his food.

*********************************************

"What's firewowks, hyung?" Jungkook asks, clinging onto his hyung's stomach as Seokjin lies down on a mat they pulled out in the burned down backyard. Well, other than the grass smelling a little burned, the backyard isn't that much affected by the fire. The rest of the boys have gotten mats too.

"Well, fireworks are pretty things that shine in the night sky. Do you wanna shine too?"

"Yeah, but I don't see fireworks every night. Are they lost stars?"

Lost stars, huh, Seokjin thinks to himself. "Yup, like lost starts you see only once a year." 

"Oh, that's good!" Jungkook looks up at the sky. "I wanna see firewowks."

"Yeah, just wait for it." Bang Sihyuk-hyung has managed to take out the television and placed it in the middle of the backyard. The boys are crowding around the television on their mats. Hoseok, Taehyung and Jimin are playing 'catch' and Namjoon and Yoongi are writing something in their notepad again, discussing something and looking up at the night sky.

"Guys, are you ready for the countdown?"

"Yeah!" Jungkook cries, using Seokjin as a launch pad, the hyung giving an "oof" as Jungkook leaps onto the ground, sitting expectantly in front of the television. The rest of the boys gather around the television.

"Well, let's countdown!" The emcee points to a large timer on the stage. There are fifteen seconds left.

At the ten-second mark, the emcee yells, "Ten!" And the crowd follows...so do the boys.

"Nine!"

"Eight!"

"Seven!"

Jungkook looks up at the sky.

"Six!"

"Five!"

Hoseok, Taehyung and Jimin also raise their heads.

"Four!"

"Three!"

"Two!"

Namjoon and Yoongi follow the rest of the boys.

"One!"

Seokjin looks up and sees a magnificent burst of colors. They have a very good view from their backyard. The colours of red, yellow, blue, green and pink spread out in the night sky.

"Cool!" Yoongi takes out the camera he's been hiding and he points it at the sky, catching every firework he can. Jungkook, Taehyung, Jimin and Hoseok's faces are masks of shock, excitement and happiness at the same time. Namjoon has edged closer to Seokjin, "Hyung, are those fireworks?" 

"Yup," Seokjin nods. "Aren't they pretty?" 

Namjoon gives an "umm!" as a reply and looks back at the fireworks.

This is one New Year the boys will never forget.