Bangtan in the kitchen

Adventures of Bangtan toddlers

In response to haninur32's request: Bangtan at a cooking class

People who can cook: Jin, Suga, Jungkook 

People who can't cook: V, Jimin (a little bit, probably?), J-Hope

People who burn the frying pan instead of the food: Rap Monster

I'm totally not Jin. I'm probably more like J-Hope, trying to cook and failing miserably. :D BTW not sure if you know, there's actually a cooking competition in Rookie King ep 2 to cook for Rap Monster's birthday, and part of J-Hope's cooking ability was demonstrated in AHL (American Hustle Life). Jin cooked seaweed soup and some octopus dish which Rapmon helped (in BTS 1st birthday episode), and Rapmon's onion-cutting skills shown in ep 229 of Weekly Idol (omg Joonie i'm so proud of you). 

Quick Question: Self-praise time! If you cook, which dish (that you made yourself--nope, not with help) do you make that taste the best in your opinion? And who can't cook (like yours truly)? 

Enjoy!

*************************************************************

"Right, you're gonna learn how to cook, so that you don't go hungry when I fall sick," Seokjin says, waving a spatula.  "And you can't always eat out." 

"Why? Hyung, you almost never fall sick," Namjoon complains, as Seokjin helps Jungkook tie an apron around his tiny body. The apron is so long that it reaches the ground, and Jungkook has to hold it up like a dress so that he doesn't trip over it when he walks.

"Remember that one time when I did? I had to still cook when I was sick," Seokjin says. "Since that's not a very good option, you all have to learn to cook." 

"Nooooo! Hyung makes the best food!" Jimin sticks out his tongue.

"Why isn't Yoongi-hyung learning too?" Hoseok whines, pointing at Yoongi.

"Because he knows how to make kimchi fried rice, and if all of you can make at least one type of food, that'll be good enough," Seokjin says. "Right, so I'm going to teach you kimbap today." 

"Kimbap's great!" Taehyung pumps his tiny fists in the air, before running over to the kitchen counter and looking over the ingredients-- some kinds of vegetables, rice, seaweed, crabstick and ham. Taehyung reaches out for the crabstick before Seokjin slaps his hand away.

"No! Wash your hands first and put on your apron!" 

Taehyung pouts at Seokjin and goes to wash his hands, singing Loser at an unimaginably loud voice while he's at it. Jimin and Jungkook sing with him. Seokjin has to yell to be heard over all the voices. He moves over to Taehyung to help him put on the apron after he's done with Jimin's. Meanwhile, Namjoon and Hoseok are standing at one side, watching the mess of kids running about the kitchen, belting out Loser and dancing along to their own voices.

This is going to be a looooong day.

***************************************************

When Seokjin finally got the kids to stop singing and actually got them excited at the prospect of making their own kimbap, Seokjin heaves a sigh of relief.

"Okay, first, you put one piece of seaweed on the mat," Seokjin says, putting one on his own, while each of the boys do so quietly, without much talking.

"You see that bowl of vinegar in front of you?" Seokjin points to the bowls in front of the boys with brown liquid. "Dip your fingers into that then take some rice." The boys nod and take the rice with curious faces after coating their fingers with vinegar, making the rice grains stick to each other. Sometime during the course of the rice-kneading, Taehyung and Jungkook started a rice-throwing battle and Seokjin had to pry them apart before Hosfeok manages to get a rice ball in Namjoon's hair, in which Namjoon doesn't even notice and is just concentrating on making sure his own rice ball isn't falling apart.

"Why're you standing like that, Namjoon-hyung?" Jimin tries not to laugh, watching his hyung with a bent knee, body shifted to the side, bent elbow (much like how Namjoon tried to cut onions the last time before Seokjin confiscated the broken knife) and a rice ball on his head which Seokjin can't be bothered to clean up for his dongsaeng at the moment.

"Uhhh...it's my cooking pose!" Namjoon stands straight, trying to clear his throat like those cartoons the maknae line watches.

"Whoa! I want a cooking pose too!" Jimin cries.

"Later," Seokjin says, bopping Jimin's head. After making sure that everyone's rice was spread out evenly on their seaweed, Seokjin proceeds on with the next step, to add other stuffl like crabstick and cucumber. 

"This is probably the easiest part in the entire kimbap making," Seokjin says, looking at Jimin and Taehyung who seem to be trying to eat the rice already. He slaps Taehyung's hand away from the rice bowl when the younger tries to make a tiny rice ball to eat. 

It's an understatement to say that there is a fight to the death for the food as the kids scramble to get as much crabstick and ham as possible, Seokjin shaking his head and sighing while he watches his dongsaengs scratch and claw at the others just to get that bit more of crabstick onto their kimbap. If Seokjin didn't know better, he'd think they haven't eaten for days on end (which is technically not true. Jungkookie just had a big cone of ice-cream from that parlour down the road).

"I got the most!" Hoseok declares, showing off his kimbap, which Namjoon finds is a bad move, seeing as Taehyung's inching his hand towards his hyung's unfinished kimbap without Hoseok noticing.

"No way! I did!" Jungkook points to his own. There's clearly a big difference in the amount of ingredients in Jungkook's and Hoseok's kimbap, and obviously, in Jungkook's favour. Jungkook quickly moves to roll up his kimbap, and Seokjin slaps his forehead. Trust his brothers to compete with this kinds of things.

Anyway, Seokjin moves on to the next step, which is to roll up the kimbap. Now, this is the hardest part in the entire process of making kimbap. Seokjin first demonstrates how to make it ("Nothing happened. Nope, the seaweed didn't slip. Not at all!") and then allows time for his brothers to make it. 

"Hyung! I did it!" Jungkook cries, Jimin and Namjoon following his success. 

"How'd I lose to you?" Namjoon stares and Jimin, and the younger grins, sticking out his tongue.

"I'm not letting you eat my kimbap!" Jimin almost flops onto his kimbap (covered by the bamboo mat) and pouts at Namjoon. Namjoon groans and Seokjin laughs. He has to help Hoseok and Taehyung with theirs though, because they just can't get it right, but all in all, everyone got it in the end. After which, Seokjin shows them how to press down the seaweeds so that the roll stays in place, before removing the bamboo mat, and the children's eyes widen at the sight of food before them.

"Yaaaaah! Food!" Jimin and Taehyung gape at the food, preparing to chow down before Seokjin slaps their heads.

"Eat after you wash up," the eldest hyung says. "Oh, and that's your lunch." 

"Really? Yay!" Hoseok cheers.

"You mean each person gets one kimbap?!" Namjoon stares at Seokjin, slack-jawed. "You only ever allowed us five pieces!" 

"Five pieces is a lot for a kid, Namjoon. Yoongi ever only takes three," Seokjin says. "You and Tae just eat mountains!" 

"I'm a growing child, hyung!" Namjoon grins, running to wash his hands.

"Yoongi! Lunch is ready!" Seokjin cuts his kimbap into eight pieces--that's how long it is--and places three on a plate for Yoongi. He watches as his dongsaengs come back from the sink (after a ton of screaming and shoving) and begin shovelling kimbap into their mouths. This will probably be the last and final time Seokjin lets them eat so much for one meal.

Nope, Seokjin doesn't eat more than one kimbap (8 pieces) in one sitting ever in his life. Nope, definitely not one and a half.

But then again, watching his dongsaengs eat the food they made...the feeling isn't half bad...maybe he'll teach them again.

******************************************************

"STOP PLAYING WITH THE BLACK BEAN PASTE JUNGKOOK! HOSEOK STOP BOTHERING JIMIN! YOONGI GIVE ME A HAND HERE!" Seokjin yells, running around the kitchen and trying to stop trouble everywhere. "NAMJOON DON'T BURN THE FRYING PAN!"

In the end, all's well ends well.

***************************************************** 

Omg i'm so sorry guys i'm dead tired and this chapter is so short...>M< I'll try to give u guys a longer chapter next time!!