Bangtan at a circus

Adventures of Bangtan toddlers

Hi guys! Sorry it's so late! Yesterday was Chinese New Year's Eve and I was eating reunion dinner with abalone (yesh, get jealous!). Haha but I typed whenever I could so...this is in response to ChulliePetalss request: What if Bangtan when to the circus? 

This week's Quick Question (I'm pretty sure this is becoming a thing): Who are your biases in BTS? Hehe, mine's our little ball of sunshine, dancer-line, loves the Touch My Body dance haha! 

Anyway, 新年快乐 ! Happy Chinese New Year! Put on some pounds, okay? CNY's a celebration for you to gorge on pineapple tarts, love letters, shrimp rolls, etc. 

***************************************************************

"I don't wanna go!" Yoongi buries his head in a pillow. "It's for kids!" 

"You're a kid," Namjoon grins, striding into the room after bundling up for the cold weather outside (it was February but it was still cold), now he's wearing his favourite fur hat with a scarf and a giant coat with a Puma logo on it. Seokjin has almost given up pleading with Yoongi to go. To the circus, that is. The three maknaes had seen the advertisement on the television, and quickly taken in by the commercials. They pleaded Seokjin to go, and, being interested in it also, decided to just it up to the maknaes. Hoseok hears the commotion (he was making a rocket (out of paper and ice cream sticks and glue--yes you can guess what happened) with Namjoon in the hyung's bedroom) and ran out, demanding to know what was happening. Seokjin told him, and now both Hoseok and Namjoon are way past excited.

"Kid or not, I don't wanna go!" Yoongi clutches onto his bedsheets.

"Or you'll have to stay with Jjangu at home." 

Yoongi looks down from his spot on his top bunk and sees the dog sleeping on the ground, on the carpet that Seokjin just bought the other day. Shivers run up his spine, "Fine, I'll go." 

*****************************************************************

"The tent is red, the ballons are blue, the one who belongs in a circus, is none other than you!" Namjoon grins, congratulating himself at the poem he just came up with. He just happened to point in Jimin's direction, and of course it was a pure coincidence that Jimin grabs Seokjin's arm and yells, "HYUNG! JOONIE-HYUNG BULLIED ME!" 

"Don't bully your dongsaeng, Namjoon," Seokjin mutters, not really focused on scolding his dongsaeng. There are so many tents here, with things ranging from Fortune Tellers to the House of Mirrors.

"There's a show going on in an hour," Hoseok grins, pointing to a sign outside the main tent. "It's got clowns and everything! And lions!" 

"We have a lot of time, then," Seokjin says. 

"But time flies when you're having fun!" Namjoon grins, looking very proud of himself, and Seokjin finds Yoongi rolling his eyes ("Yah! Stop doing that!") and the three maknaes plus Hoseok staring at Namjoon blankly. 

"Time can't fly. It doesn't have wings," Jungkook protests.

"Balloons don't have wings either. They can fly," Yoongi points out.

"Balloons don't fly, hyung, they float," Jimin stands on tip-toes, to illustrate his point.

"But when you float, you float on water..." 

"Yah, all of you let's go somewhere else before the show starts, alright?" Seokjin shouts over the noise his dongsaengs are making. 

"What's House of Mirrors, hyung?" Taehyung asks, pointing to a sign outside a tent. 

"A house with a lot of mirrors inside," Yoongi says, but he's walking over to it with Taehyung, and soon, they were joined by Hoseok, Jimin and Jungkook. Namjoon and Seokjin follow them after the dongsaengs enter the tent. 

************************************************

"Hi there," Taehyung waves at his reflection in the mirror. "I'm Taehyung. Where do you come from?" He turns towards Seokjin. "Hyung, he looks just like me!" 

"Of course he looks like you," Namjoon butts in. "It's all in the matter of the angle of reflection and inflection of light, when light bounces off from you onto the mirror..." 

"That all doesn't matter right now," Seokjin quickly explains to Taehyung that mirrors are simply pieces of material that show whatever's standing in front of it.

"Oh, that's better than Joonie-hyung's explanation..." Taehyung nods. 

Namjoon is still rattling off to Yoongi about how mirrors work, when Seokjin realizes something. There's no one else in the House of Mirrors, and when he looks around, there's Namjoon, Yoongi, Taehyung and himself...where are Jungkook, Jimin and Hoseok? He looks towards the end of the corridor of mirrors and he sees a bend (and his own what-he-calls handsome reflection). 

Did they go down there? 

"There's more mirrors, hyung! Let's go!" Taehyung pulls on Seokjin's arm.

Of course they must be there, Seokjin thinks to himself. Where else could they be? 

"Namjoon! Yoongi! We're going further down," Seokjin calls, dragging his dongsaengs with him (Namjoon explaining something about light rays and Yoongi grumbling). 

**********************************************

"There's cotton candy, hyung!" Jungkook cries, running over to a cotton candy stall. Hoseok and Jimin hadn't found the House of Mirrors as interesting as the others (mainly because they were scared of the fact that perhaps, a ghost would be reflected in the mirror when they look into it), so they slipped out without their hyung noticing, and right after exiting, they find a cotton candy stall pointed out by Jungkook, of course.

"I got enough money," Hoseok says, fishing out a few crumpled notes of won. 

He hands a few of the notes to the stallholder, and she gives them each a stick of cotton candy. 

"It's sticky," Jimin tries to take a bite but now has cotton candy all over his mouth.

"Let's go there, hyung!" Jungkook pulls on Hoseok's arm, grinning ear to ear as the group of three make their way over to the Fortune Teller's tent.

"Fortune Teller Sunny and Fortune Teller Yuri at your service?" Hoseok reads the sign, scrunching up his face. "What does 'at your service' mean?" 

"Doesn't matter, hyung, let's go!" Jimin grins, pulling on Jungkook's arm and running into the tent. Having no choice, Hoseok follows them. Inside, the tent is dark, and there are fluorescent stars and moons stuck all over the tent's interior walls, illuminating the place with a dull glow. 

"I-I'm gonna wait here," says Hoseok, fidgeting already. 

"There are three of us, and two Fortune Tellers, right?" Jimin takes another bite of his cotton candy, furrowing his eyebrows in annoyance as he gets more cotton candy on the side of his mouth. "Then I can go to one with Jungkookie and hyung can go to the other one." 

Hoseok bites his lip, "B-But..." It looks scary! 

But Jimin is already off, entering one of the flaps of the tent, and leaving Hoseok to the other Fortune Teller. With literally no choice at all now, Hoseok enters the other flap.

***************************************************

Seokjin pants as he reaches the end of the House of Mirrors, yet not finding Hoseok, Jimin and Jungkook at all. Taehyung is starting to question where they are, and Namjoon and Yoongi have noticed the disappearance of the three of them.

"Where can they be?" Seokjin grasps his knees, leaving Yoongi to take care of Taehyung while he looks around the circus grounds. 

"Maybe they ran off without us knowing, hyung," Namjoon says, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world, though Seokjin had to admit, it was the most obvious thing in the world. 

"Hyung, let's go there!" Taehyung cries, pointing to a tent in the distance. Actually, no. Not the tent. 

It's the elephant beside the tent. The elephant is of the Asian breed, and definitely not for riding, from the way it just...looks. Taehyung pulls his hyung's arm as they weave through crowds of people. Seokjin looks back to make sure his dongsaengs are following while keeping an eye out for Hoseok, Jimin and Jungkook.

"Elephant!" Taehyung cries. He pinches his arm, and shows Seokjing, with his two moles on each side of the pinched part of his arm. "See, hyung, elephant!" 

Seokjin has to resist slapping his forehead as he watches the animal tamer pet the elephant's trunk and dress the elephant up--probably for the show. Come to think about it...Seokjin looks at the watch on his wrist. It's another forty-five minutes to the show. He has to find his dongsaengs quickly.

"Come on, Tae. There are more...fun things to see," Seokjin says, desperately looking around for sight of either his dongsaengs or something interesting to divert Taehyung's attention to so that they won't get stuck here for long. Well, Namjoon and Yoongi are already starting to look bored, despite laughing whenever the elephant swung its trunk in their general direction. 

"There's a dart game over there, hyung! I wanna go try!" Yoongi points towards a tent, with a sign outside it saying: Games and more! Dart games, ball games! Win big prizes! 

"Alright, let's go," Seokjin sighs. It's probably the most likely place they'd be anyway. 

******************************************************

Jimin and Jungkook came out laughing and Hoseok just came out...a little weirded out.

"She said that we're gonna live long lives, hyung," Jimin grasps Hoseok's arm, grinning widely. "And that we're gonna be singers and Jungkookie's gonna be a great singer and I'm gonna be a great dancer!" 

Hoseok nods, remembering that the Fortune Teller had said that he was going to be the best dancer in his whole family. Best dancer...sure he likes dancing, but probably not as much as Jimin (who practices girl group dances everyday with himself). 

"Hey, hyung, you alright?" Jungkook asks, taking Hoseok's other arm. "Hyung looks a little...shaken up." 

Hoseok doesn't really know what "shaken up" means, but he thinks it's probably just a word Namjoon taught Jungkook, just like how Namjoon's trying to get Jungkook to say "Pardon" whenever someone asks the maknae a question just to see the other person's reaction, and trying to explain why "July" is the seventh month in the year by bringing in July Ceesa or someone like that--Hoseok doesn't know (Namjoon's weird for reading books with names like July Ceesa).  

"There's a Puppet show there, hyung!" Jimin pulls on his hyung's arm, leading the trio over to a tent.

"But puppets are scary!" Hoseok whines, but Jimin and Jungkook are having none of that. With combined effort, they manage to pull their hyung over to the tent, just in time for the next show.

Already, there are a lot of little kids gathered there, and Jimin notices his friend, Hwa, and her sister, Ailee. 

"Hi, Jimin!" Hwa bounds over to him, grabbing his arm. "You'e here for the puppet show too?" 

"U-Uh, yeah!" Jimin nods, and he glances back to his two brothers, who are staring at the stage for the puppet show, one in slight fear and panic and the other in awe. 

"This is Ailee, my unnie!" Hwa smiles. "This is Jimin, unnie!" Hwa whispers in Jimin's ear. "Unnie's in the same year as Seokjin-oppa!"  

"Ah, have you been treating my Hwa well?" Ailee strides over, petting Hwa's head. "If you don't..." Ailee does a slash across her own neck. "Get it?" 

"Unnie! Don't scare my friend!" Hwa cries, and she pulls on Jimin's arm. "There's still a seat left! Amber came too!" 

"Amber? From our class?" Jimin asks, and his suspicions are confirmed when he sees his classmate waving to him a seat away from Hwa (since the seat between Hwa and Amber is taken by Ailee) also. Jungkook sits next to Jimin and Hoseok next to Jungkook, biting his lip as the host exclaims into the loudspeaker, "Let the puppet show begin!" 

************************************************************

"Almost!" Yoongi cheers on his dongsaeng, as Namjoon shuts one eye and tries to get the bottle cap into the bottles placed at equal distance from each other. Namjoon aims his next shot, throws, and misses again. The man manning the stall is starting to look a little bored. "Give it up, kiddo. No one's ever wo--" 

"There!" Namjoon cries. Instead of aiming towards the bottle, he aims the cap up high.

There is a moment of tension as the bottle cap falls down onto the bottle's neck, perfectly ringing itself around the neck of the bottle. And even better is that...

"The big prize!" Namjoon and Yoongi are hugging each other and jumping about. 

Grumbling something or other to himself, the stallholder hands a giant caterpillar stuffed toy to the two of them. Draping it over their shoulders, the two of them run off to show their hyung. 

"How'd you do that, Joonie?" Yoongi asks as they make their way over to their hyung, who's standing by the fishing game with Taehyung holding a fishing rod with a magnet instead of a hook at the end.

"Easy, hyung," Namjoon grins. "You just need to measure the angle in which the bottle cap flies..." 

"Okay, never mind your angles," Yoongi mutters, as they reach their hyung. "Hyung! Namjoon won an impossible game!" 

"It wasn't impossible!" Namjoon pouts. "You just wouldn't listen to me..." 

"That's a giant caterpillar you've got there," Seokjin helps Namjoon wrap the caterpillar tighter around his shoulders.

"Hyung, look!" Taehyung tries to pull out his fishing rod like those cartoons he always see on television but... The thing he was fishing out is just too heavy and pulls Taehyung into the pool instead.

Namjoon and Yoongi burst into laughter, hugging their stomachs and letting the caterpillar toy fall to the floor. Seokjin has to rescue Taehyung from the water pool just as one of the stallholders rush over, another one grabbing a towel and wrapping it around Taehyung, apologizing to Seokjin profusely and...

Promising the big prize, which, technically, was the prize Taehyung was supposed to get had he pulled out that thing. Already, most kids are either staring in amusement, bewilderment or envy as he hugs a giant elephant stuffed toy and Seokjin is beginning to wonder how they're going to fit seven kids, one driver and two giant stuffed toys into the car. 

Seokjin glances at his watch: twenty minutes to the show. He's got to get going to find his dongsaengs.

"Y'all have to carry your own prizes," Seokjin says, leading his dongsaengs out into the cold winter air. 

*****************************************************

"That was fun!" Jimin jumps into the air, whooping with Jungkook when the show was over. Hwa grins, "I'm gonna go watch that big show now, with unnie and Amber. Are you gonna come, Jiminnie?" 

At the nickname, Jimin can see Ailee furrowing her brows, "U-Uh, yeah, sure." 

Come to think of it, his hyungs (aside from Hobi-hyung) and Taehyung are lost. Funny, and Jin-hyung was always telling them not to get lost and to stick to each other in crowded places.

Well, Taehyung wanted to watch the show too, so maybe they'll meet them there? Jimin, with his brothers, walk out of the tent with Hwa, Ailee and Amber and...

"Ow!" 

Jimin bumps into somebody and falls to the ground hard on his behind. Rubbing his rear, Jimin gets up, intending to look around for that careless person who bumped into him but he sees...

"HYUNG!" Jimin cries, hugging Yoongi's neck.

"Yah! Geroff me!" Yoongi tries pushing Jimin off him but to no avail.

"We couldn't find you, hyung, and then...and then...hyung, I thought you got lost..." 

"You were the one who's lost!" Yoongi mumbles, rolling his eyes. "Are Kookie and Hobi..." 

"HYUNG!" two shouts come from behind Jimin, and Yoongi is tackled to the ground by three of his dongsaengs. Namjoon, Seokjin and Taehyung walk up; Namjoon immediately begins laughing, Taehyung decides to join in the 'pile-atop-Yoongi-hyung' game and Seokjin is just staring at his dongsaengs, questioning his life decisions.

"Fifteen minutes..." Seokjin mutters, before raising his head and catching sight of who he recognizes as Hwa, Jimin's friend from his year and Ailee, from Seokjin's own year and in the class next to his. "Ah, hi, Ailee." To be honest, Ailee does way better in her work than Seokjin ever does. He notices a little figure talking to Hwa also (after they've recovered from ther initial shock of the Bangtan family's craziness, of course), and who he reognizes as Amber, also from Jimin and Taehyung's year. He waves a 'hello' to both Hwa and Amber, making the latter flush. Seokjin can't help it. He does that to people around him.

"You wanna grab something to eat?" Ailee asks. "I saw a hot dog stand and kimbap stand just about there and I'm getting hungry." 

"Sure, let's go." 

***************************************************

"We're gonna be late!" Hwa grabs Jimin's arm, pulling him along as the group of kids of no more than eight years old rush through the crowd and burst through the tent flap. The show hasn't started, thankfully, and Ailee leads them down to the third row, where there are, just nice, ten free seats. Ailee sits down first, followed by Amber, Hwa, Jimin, Jungkook, Taehyung, Hoseok, Yoongi, Namjoon then Seokjin. 

The lights of the tent begin to dim, until Seokjin can barely see anything in the darkness. He can practically hear Hoseok's fear anyway (his dongsaeng was scared of everything).

"What'cha think is gonna come out?" Taehyung asks in a loud voice, facing Hoseok and causing many people from both the rows behind and in front of them to stare at them with annoyed faces.

"I-I dunno," Hoseok says in a small voice, the darkness getting to him, and the silence wasn't helping either.

Though Seokjin knows exactly what Taehyung's doing--distracting his hyung from his fear. 

"Y'know, it's probably gonna be clowns and horses and...elephants!" Taehyung grins. "You can't see it, but I have an elephant on my arm, hyung!" 

"An elephant...on your arm?" 

"Yeah!" Taehyung grins. "I'll show it to you later!" 

And just at that moment, the curtain opens, the spotlights flicker on and it wasn't that dark anymore. Taehyung watches as the ringmaster walks out to the center stage and bows low, classy cane in one hand and top hat in the other.

"You've alllllll come for the BIG SHOW, haven't you?!" the ringmaster shouts into the loudspeaker. There's a loud whooping from the crowds as they yell and scream, until the noise dies down. "Come one, come all! And enjoy the SHOW!" 

***************************************************

Clowns appeared first. Namjoon doesn't know why, but he doesn't really like clowns. He finds them quite scary, with their overdone makeup and big red lips that look like they can swallow you up, and those eyes with that amazing amount of eyeliner around them, and the amount of powder put onto their faces, making the clowns themselves look so pale like ghosts.

"You're so quiet, Namjoonie," Yoongi pokes his dongsaeng's temple. "What's wrong?" To be honest, Yoongi doesn't really like clowns either. He thinks they're stupid and ugly, but of course, he'd never say that to Seokjin's face...ever.

"I don't like clowns," Namjoon shakes his head, pouting as he tries to divert his attention away from the clowns, who are spraying each other (and the front row) with water as they grin and laugh, squeezing each other's red nose...the usual tricks.

"I heard they're gonna have acrobats and people who ride on horses." 

"Y-Yeah," Namjoon nods. Funny thing is that he can't seem to take his eyes of the something he fears most. 

"And they're gonna come out next!" 

"Really?" Namjoon looks interested now. 

"But they'll only come out if you don't look at the clowns now." 

Namjoon shuts his eyes, and pictures the people on horses with flashy costumes and acrobats flinging themselves into the air, doing acrobatic stunts that will amaze them all. 

"It's starting, Namjoon! Open your eyes!" Yoongi grins, tapping his dongsaeng lightly on the shoulder. Namjoon opens one eye, scared of what he was going to see, but he hears screaming and cheering as two acrobats fly through the air, dangling from their legs on the swings hung from the top of the stage. Acrobat number 1 catches Acrobat number 2 as number 2 soars through the air, doing a backflip as she lands in the arms of number 1. 

"Whoa!" Namjoon can only gasp as the acrobats do death-defying stunt after stunt. This circus has high standards for their performers. 

Suddenly, acrobat number 2 falls from the grip of acrobat number 1 and the crowd literally screams, Yoongi and Namjoon being two of them.

But acrobat number 2 lands perfectly on the back of an elephant as the large mammal trumpets and runs out from the backstage. There is a round of applause as number 2 take a bow, smiling and waving at the crowd. 

"Whoa! Hyung! Are you ever gonna do tricks like those people?!" Hoseok hugs onto Yoongi's arm, staring up at the older with expectant eyes, but Yoongi only has one answer, and a very good one at that, if he does say so himself.

"Never." 

**********************************************************

"Hyung! I want to go to a circus again!" Jungkook cries, hugging Seokjin's arm as they exit the circus grounds and say goodbye to Hwa, Amber and Ailee, Jimin waving the longest, grinning that eye-smile that he's so famous for amongst the preschool kids.

"Next time," Seokjin says, though he's positive there'll almost never be a next time. Circuses don't come around often.

"It's fun!" Taehyung throws his hands into the air, his stuffed elephant almost flying out of his grip. Jungkook and Jimin chime in with a "Yeah! Fun!" 

"We're gonna come again, right?" Now Hoseok, Namjoon and Yoongi are looking at Seokjin with what looks like pleading eyes. 

Seokjin sighs as he climbs into the car, managing to stuff both the elephant and the caterpillar into the boot of the car. How can he possibly say no to his dongsaengs?