Bangtan and the Cleanup

Adventures of Bangtan toddlers

Im not sure if ive done a spring cleaning chapter before i definitely cleaned my boarding room before i went back home for cny!

oh, and 新年快乐, 大鸡大利 (kudos to anyone who gets this) to everyone celebrating Chinese New Year!

****************************************************************

"So dusty," Yoongi grumbles, eyes peeking out from behind his fringe and a face mask. Feather duster in hand, he swipes at the wall behind the bookshelf. Out of the corner of his eye, he manages to catch sight of Seokjin arranging all his cooking utensils and dusting each one of them thoughtfully and carefully.

Behind him, he can clearly hear the maknaes playing with the pail of water that Namjoon supposedly took out to mop the floor with (by orders of Seokjin, of course. He'd never take the initiative).

Hoseok, meanwhile, is in charge of clearing out all the books from their bookshelves. But then again, Yoongi should have known better when he asked Hoseok to do it, since he's basically throwing everything out. He'd go back to an empty bookshelf by the end of the day.

He sighs, continuing to do battle with spiders and cockroaches who have made their home behind the shelf. Once, the spider leaped at him, and Yoongi had to drag Namjoon there from his floor-mopping duties to clear that disgusting thing out. Since when have such insects infested their house?

"Really, hyung, you're such a scaredy-cat," Namjoon jokes as he brings the spider outside by its leg. Yoongi can still feel a shiver as he watches Namjoon clear out the dead thing, its body dangling from the leg. Jungkook had bombarded Namjoon with questions about how to become the best kungfu master to deal with spiders.

Yoongi nearly screams when something cold hits his back. Actually, it's a lot of somethings. Water. He turns around, knownig exactly who is behind him. 

Jimin and Taehyung shriek and laugh and run upstairs, to the safety of their room. Yoongi hisses and abandons his eviction duty, running upstairs towards the maknae's bedroom and slamming on their door, yelling, "Open up!"

"What's the password?" comes from the other end.

"What?" Yoongi snarls.

"Password!"

"Come out now, you little twats!"

"Language!" Seokjin's voice floats from the kitchen.

"Password!"

Suddenly, someone walks up to the door and yells out a "parapapapa" (that song from the MacDonald's advertisement) and the door opens. Jungkook slips in and Yoongi hasn't any time to register anything before the door closes again.

"What's the password!" comes the voice on the other end and Yoongi plants his face against the door.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKK!" Yoongi hears his hyung's voice from the ground level. He rushes down the stairs, going two steps at a time, before finding Seokjin screaming at a cockroach and a family of cockroaches scuttling about on the ground. 

"Whoa!" Namjoon lands flat on his rear end as he tries to avoid a running cockroach. He turns towards his hyung, a questioning look on his face as he merely watches the cockroach take cover under the couch before returning to his mopping (Namjoon still has six other rooms to mop so he won't be done anytime soon). 

"G-Get rid of those!" Seokjin points to the cockroaches taking their living room by storm.

Arming himself with a broom, Yoongi proceeds to chase the creepy crawlies from their sacred abode. Yoongi nearly shrieks everytime he almost steps on one of them.

"Done!" Hoseok says from the top of the stairs, and promptly decides to push the whole box down step by step, and just nice, when he got to the last step, the box bursts open and all the books fall out. Fate is cruel to two cockroach nymphs, and books fell on the two insects, much to Hoseok's horror.

With a shrill scream of a frequency that Yoongi is sure no one can reach, Hoseok rushes back to the hyungs' room and slams the door. Yoongi didn't catch any of the words that had come out of his mouth. Yoongi shakes his head and continues his job, using his broom to whack a cockroach that had been at the wrong place and time.

********************************************************

"When did the house get this dirty?" Jungkook asks Seokjin, pointing at the corpses of the cockroaches and spiders that Yoongi had bribed Namjoon into killing ("I'll give you my whole week's worth cookies if you'd do it." because Yoongi would rather not eat cookies for the whole week than deal with another ten of those cockroach babies.).

"It's not dirty, its just--" Seokjin looks around, hoping that a more fitting word would enter his brain. "Full of dead insects."

"Oh," Jungkook says. He finds Yoongi-hyung sleeping on the couch, while Jimin and Taehyung make their way from the staircase to the middle of the living room, following Jungkook, careful not to step on any of the dead roaches.

"Hyung, I'm hungry. When's lunch?"

"Soon," Seokjin says automatically, but truth to be told, it's only 10am. "Or probably in another two hours."

"Two hours?" Jungkook whines.

"Yes, two hours," Seokjin says. "You can have a Kit Kat bar first." He heads on over to the kitchen and fetches a bar of chocolate each for the three of them. Yelling a thanks to their hyung, Jungkook, Jimin and Taehyung are prepared to run back to their room when Seokjin stops them.

"Why don't you help your Yoongi-hyung get rid of the insects?" Seokjin asks, vaguely hearing the humming of some song from the bathroom (which is next to the kitchen). 

"But they're disgusting," Taehyung says, pouting and making a disgusted face.

"But they're not going to clear themselves," Seokjin says. "Come on, grab a broom everyone and sweep it out the door!"

"We're not three, hyung," Jimin whines, stuffing the Kit Kat in his pocket and taking Yoongi's broom. Yoongi doesn't even stir, let alone show signs of awakening.

"Come on, get those legs moving!" Seokjin still has to do laundry, replenish their stack of cookies and chocolate (and everything fattening) and wash the toilets (he should put Namjoon and Jimin up to the job). That's it. After lunch he's going to enlist the help of his brothers.

*************************************************

After a lunch of kimbap, Seokjin sets to work grouping them and giving them jobs. Namjoon and Jimin to clean the toilets (Because I don't want to deal with whatever's in there, Seokjin thinks, but no one will ever know that), Yoongi, Taehyung and Jungkook are to do the laundry, while Seokjin and Hoseok are to head on over to the grocery store to grab some things they'd need for the year ahead (or at least the first month).

Grudgingly, Namjoon and Jimin trudge over to the toilets after getting the cleaning supplies. Yoongi, Taehyung and Jungkook set about picking up all the clothes thrown on the ground and each piece of underwear from their beds. Taehyung screeches when he sees a spider jumping out from a plain white shirt he sees on the ground. The spider scuttles away into a crack in the wall, where they'll probably never see it again.

Seokjin and Hoseok put on their coats and all and head out. It was still pretty chilly outside even though it isn't snowing.

"What are we going to buy, hyung?" Hoseok asks, chewing on his nails. The bad habit is back.

"Chocolate, cookies, yoghurt...hmm...just about everything," Seokjin says as they turn the corner to the grocery store just down the road. They enter the store and Seokjin picks up a basket. He starts going down all the shelves, picking out the butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, mint chocolate cookies, M&M cookies...

"Hyung, I want ice cream," Hoseok says, pointing to the freezer behind them containing all the different types of ice cream that Seokjin has ever dreamed of. He knows that Yoongi and Namjoon prefer bingsu, but Hoseok plus the maknaes love ice-cream. Seokjin himself doesn't have any preference.

"Later," Seokjin says. "If we take it out now it's going to melt."

"We can just put it in the freezer again at home," Hoseok continues pleading.

In the end, they do buy ice cream. And a whole ton of cookies and, well, stuff to last them the new year.

**********************************************************

"Kai...bai..."

"BO!" Taehyung screams out of nowhere, and Jimin and Namjoon put out their hands. Namjoon yelps in happiness as he jumps around ecstatically, while Jimin stares at his hand in disbelief, wondering if Namjoon had somehow twisted fate in his favour.

Jimin stares at his fist. How does a fist lose to an open palm?

"Here you go!" Namjoon holds the plunger out to Jimin, who takes it. Jimin just stares at the plunger. What prompted this scissors-paper-stone competion is the fact that neither Jimin nor Namjoon knows how to use it. Namjoon decides that you probably just have to stick the rubber part of the plunger into the toilet and, well, clear it.

The other reason for this game is the fact that Jimin and Namjoon both know what's in the toilet and both do not, under any circumstances, want to deal with it. Jimin, however, has somehow been betrayed by all stones in the world and is to wash the toilet, while Namjoon deals with the entire bathroom that's not, well, the toilet.

Namjoon gets to work using cloths and detergent to work on the bathroom walls, and Jimin is still trying his luck with the toilet. Namjoon has teasingly helped him strap a mask over his face, but it does little to help the...aroma.

It's not that Jimin hates his Namjoon-hyung. It's quite the opposite, in fact, but right now, his six-year-old self cannot stand the seven-year-old hyung humming a melodious little tune to himself while little Park Jimin is busying himself with the toilet. Jimin will forever remember this day.

It doesn't take as long as Jimin had expected. In fact, he was done even before Namjoon was. Namjoon had just gotten started on the bathtub when Jimin was washing his hands with the bar of soap carefully placed on the ledge above the sink. After he's done, he skips out to enjoy his time on the television.

Meanwhile, Namjoon's suddenly questioning his life decisions.

************************************************************

You can barely see Jungkook's face from the pile of clothes he's carrying as he, Yoongi and Taehyung make their way from various parts of the house to the kitchen, where the washing machine is whirring away. Jungkook dumps the pile of underwear, shirts and shorts in front of the washing machine. Yoongi had just sent the first batch of clothes for washing. Although, Jungkook isn't sure he's supposed to see bubbles coming out of the washing mahcine, and the whole thing looks like it's going to explode.

He was sure that Yoongi-hyung had put too much detergent or something, but well, hyung should know best.

Taehyung appears a moment later, with his own pile in his hands. How is it possible that seven boys can generate so much laundry in...what? A week? But of course, to Jungkook and Taehyung, the pieces of fabric in front of them right now has only one fate, and that is to be thrown into the washing machine. 

"It's like bathing the clothes," Yoongi explains. "Except you don't bathe it like a person."

So therefore, Jungkook concludes that that explains why clothes don't have to be to bathe. After whirring for a while longer, the washing machine beeps and soap stops seeping out from the washing machine. There's another small figure running into the kitchen with another heap of clothes. Those are probably the last ones.

Yoongi plops the clothes down on the floor and proceeds to open the washing machine, screeching a little when water gushes out and he's about to scream for Seokjin-hyung (that they might need a new washing machine), but decides against it (since the other mature one in this building right now is Namjoon and who knows what Namjoon is dealing with in the toilets).

Water stops after awhile, thank goodness, and Yoongi is able to bring the damp clothes out to dry outside. He gets Jungkook to toss all the clothes into the washing machine (even though it looks like a pile to Jungkook and Taehyung, all three piles can fit into the washing machine) and Taehyung to follow him outside to hang the clothes on the washing line.

With great effort, they manage to get the clothes pinned up on the washing line, and are now drying at an alarming rate (considering it's cold and the humidity of the air is so low). Taehyung follows Yoongi back into the house because they don't want to stay out any longer than necessary.

When Yoongi returns, however, he finds the washing machine working perfectly, unlike the attempt before. He finds Jungkook humming a little tune to himself as he uses the paper towels that Jin-hyung must have stored somewhere to wipe the floor dry.

"All dry!" Jungkook cheers and disposes of the trash.

Yoongi stares, awed as the maknae is the one who does the laundry the right way.

*************************************************************

Seokjin and Hoseok find themselves back at the house a long while later, arms filled with bags and bags of food. Hoseok is dragging them through the snow, while Seokjin has already moved into the house and has dumped the bags onto the table.

"Jin-hyung! We're done!" Jimin cries. He's sitting with Jungkook and Yoongi on the couch, watching Music Bank, while Seokjin can vaguely hear the sound of rap music played upstairs.

"That's fast," Seokjin mumbles to himself as he nods, smiling, and heads over to the kitchen to place the things into the fridge. The washing machine isn't whirring, and there are some clothes hung outside to dry. He finds the washed-and-dried clothes stacked in neat piles beside the fridge, on the counter.

"Okay, I've got to bring these up," Seokjin says, realizing the piles have been organized into whose clothes those are. That makes his job easier by a ton.

Once the ice-cream, meat, vegetables and fish are safely in the fridge, he proceeds to refill the cookie jar with cookies, before heading out of the kitchen to get them started on cleaning out the rest of the house.

******************************************************

"A-Achoo!" Taehyung sneezes, snot flying out of his nose and landing on Namjoon's sweater. Namjoon gives a high-pitched shriek that Yoongi never thought would have been possible and jumps about frantically. As if that helped, so Yoongi, being the good hyung, stepped in to order Namjoon to change out into a clean sweater.

"It's too dusty, hyung," Jungkook says, holding the cloth with two hands and trying to wipe down the door.

"I've cleaned places dustier than this," Seokjin mutters, continuing on with the mopping of the floor, occassionally removing his mask to breathe some fresher air.

"What's the dustiest place you've cleaned, hyung?" Jimin asks, interested, water dripping from the saturated cloth to the ground, wetting the wood.

"Dustiest place? The basement," Seokjin says, remembering the last time he went there, he sneezed his lungs out and had to get Yoongi to sort out the stuff downstairs (considering none of the other boys dared to even step a foot into the basement all thanks to Namjoon who scared himself silly too). 

"You're so brave, Jin-hyung! You went down to the basement?"

From Taehyung's question onwards, spring cleaning becomse a thing of the past as they bombard an unwilling Seokjin with questions and Seokjin has to answer all of them before they'd even give him a chance to continue mopping the floor.

********************************************************************

Deciding to start a new initiative about sitting down and reflecting about the day, Seokjin asks, "What did you all learn today?"

There's a barrage of answers, and Seokjin has to enlist Yoongi's help to quiet them all down (his glare does wonders) before he can start pointing to one of them.

"You start first, Jimin-ah."

"I learned that the toilets are stinky and filled with poop."

There are sounds of disgust at that, and Seokjin definitely did not need to hear that on the eve of the Lunar New Year.

"Namjoon?"

"I learned that Jiminnie is very savage and would ditch you for television."

Seokjin rolls his eyes at that and Jimin had looked a little appalled although he probably doesn't understand what "ditch" meant, or "savage" for that matter.

"Yoongi."

"Cockroaches are things that shouldn't exist on this earth, and that you should group me with Jungkookie more often."

At the mention of his name, Jungkook who obviously isn't listening lifts his head up, "What?"

"Taetae?" 

"I learned that Yoongi-hyung doesn't know how to do the laundry."

"Hey!" Yoongi's voice is muffled from across the room and Seokjin chuckles to himself. 

"Jungkookie."

"I learned that...I'm good at the laundry?" Jungkook flashes a mischievous smile, and Yoongi splutters while Namjoon coughs.

"Hoseokkie."

"I learned that Jin-hyung likes buying four tins of cookies at once," Hoseok helpfully offers, and Seokjin has to turn away so as not to face the five pairs of eyes suddenly on him, greed evident in them.

"Okay! Let's go brush our teeth and sleep!" Seokjin announces suddenly, standing up, almost immediately pursued by six other boys.

And that is how Bangtan spent the day before the Lunar New Year.