Save You (Jungkook, OC) Part 2

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Forgive me for taking so long in updating this... My mind was preoccupied with other things lol. Anyway, enjoy! 

PART 1

Jungkook was now eighteen and he never thought he would ever go through something what most people would call a “crush”.

Having become distant and detached from everyone for a long time could affect you in ways that alters your very being. Jungkook has been so used to avoiding contact with anyone that he had forgotten how it felt like to look at someone…

And not want to look away.

Jungkook tried to forget about her: Olivia Kim, the new girl in his Math class. He didn’t mean to but he found himself stealing glances at her more often than he should; subtly staring and looking away instantly when she turns. It was a good thing he was already an expert at blending into the background and avoiding eye-contact.

He wouldn’t say it was a crush, exactly… more like a fleeting fascination. It's not that he liked her that way (Though she was not at all bad looking, Jungkook thought. With her warm brown eyes and long dark hair… Completely not my ideal type at all.) but he was more curious as to why there were no numbers hovering over her head.

 

At first Jungkook thought it may have been delayed and that it would eventually show up in a day or two. That happened once a couple of years ago with a little girl he accidentally locked eyes with at a convenience store. Jungkook could remember being thrilled when there were numbers on her, thinking his curse has somehow been miraculously lifted. But a couple of days later, he caught sight of the same girl on his way home from school. She was just about to ride a car and when Jungkook locked eyes with her, he saw it. He deflated; shoulder sagging at the discovery that he could still see those awful numbers. Although he was a bit relieved upon discovering the little girl still had long years to live.

But it's been a week and Olivia’s numbers have yet to come up. Jungkook liked to think he couldn't see them at all now but he knew that was a lie. He could still sense it coming off from everyone…like a stain you can’t really remove.

This was the first time that he has met (well the correct term being "seen" considering they haven't once spoken with each other. Not that Jungkook was planning on it either) someone without it and it's weird considering being human means… we all die.

Unless she isn't human, a voice suggested in his head which he snorted at because this was no time for crazy talk. But Jungkook couldn’t keep wondering about it. When everyone’s numbers seem to be working just fine, here was Olivia just sitting on her chair—numberless.

The only other person whose numbers Jungkook couldn’t see was his, and even he himself wasn’t completely sure why. But he figured it was better that way and opted not to dig deeper into the topic since knowing everyone else’s time of death was enough of a burden. He wasn’t exactly keen on the idea of knowing the exact day that he was going to die either.

"Jungkook, you should help out Olivia."

Jungkook snapped up at the sound of his name, eyes wide like a deer caught in the headlights. He immediately caught sight of the numbers hovering over Mrs. Chan's head and tried to ignore the sinking feeling in his chest when he saw that the woman only had five years left to live.

"Sorry?" He asked stupidly as he looked around and saw his classmates already standing up from their seats, preparing to leave. Jungkook tried to recall when the dismissal bell sounded but couldn't. He figured he was too distracted.

"You and Olivia." She pointed out. "I need you to help her in Math. I thought I'd turn to you since you're the Math genius of the class." She chuckled and before Jungkook could protest, the woman held up her hand. "Not without incentives, of course. Don't worry, Jungkook. This is extra credit work and I'm sure it would look good on your college recommendation letters."

And there it was. Jungkook hated it when his teachers throw in the "college card”, like he couldn't see right through their intentions. They all wanted the same thing: for him to socialise more, to join a club, to make friends...

And other specific things Jungkook can't do.

"I'm sorry. But I... I can't—“

"It's only for this semester, Jungkook." Mrs. Chan said, smiling sweetly. "I'm sure you can sacrifice a bit of your time to help a classmate out."

It's not that, he huffed internally, wanting to tear his hair out in frustration because he couldn’t explain the true reason behind his reluctance to accept.

It's not that I don't want to help..., he thought.

It's just too risky.

"Please, Mrs. Chan. Thank you but I think we can tell when someone doesn't really want to do something."

Jungkook was surprised at the voice that spoke up, unaware of another presence in the room. He turned slowly and saw the last (and maybe first, but he won't ever admit it) person he wanted to see.

Olivia was biting her lip, looking a little embarrassed. It didn't occur to him that she was standing behind him all this time while Mrs. Chan pleaded for him to help her out in Math.

Jungkook gave her a one-over, surveying her green blouse and jeans. He thought he looked exceptionally pretty today...

Wait, what?

"Ahem." Jungkook looked up to the sound of someone clearing their throat and was surprised to see Olivia staring daggers at him.

"I—“ Jungkook stammered, wanting to apologize for staring so rudely but ended up looking away and clearing his throat instead, feeling his ears warm up from embarrassment.

Olivia stared at him for a second longer before moving her gaze back to the teacher. "And besides, I'm sure there are others who would be willing to help me out. Maybe someone smarter."

Jungkook's head snapped towards her so fast he thought he would've gotten a whiplash.

Excuse me, he wanted to say.

“I mean, if he was really the best…he wouldn’t be so scared to help someone out considering it’s his subject of expertise.”

Jungkook scoffed unknowingly at that and was instantly embarrassed when Mrs. Chan gave him a look.

Is she actually taunting me? He thought incredulously as he clenched his right hand.

"Isn't that right... Jungkook?"  

Jungkook's breath seemed to hitch at the sound of his name coming out of . He looked at her then and their eyes met in a challenging gaze.

Wow she totally is, Jungkook thought as nobody budged. It was almost pathetic: their little staring game. As if that gesture would make him change his mind.  

Well it did.

Jungkook was actually taking the bait. He was the smartest guy in class and there's no way he was going to let her get away with what she just said.

Right then he decided he wasn't going to let her trample over his pride.

"Just for the whole semester, right?" He asked and Mrs. Chan's face lit up like a Christmas tree. He turned towards Olivia who had a mildly surprised look on her face, not expecting him to agree and take her bait.

"Yes, just for this term Jungkook." And just like that he agreed with a curt nod. He glanced at Olivia shortly, and then smirked when he saw the surprise still present on her face.

He glanced up slightly, seeing her numbers still absent no matter how hard he willed them to show.  

Very odd, he thought before walking away and leaving the room; secretly wishing it stays that way and that her numbers don't ever show up.  

~~~

Olivia was seventeen and wished she didn't have to move to a new place.

It would've been okay but she was in the middle of high school for god’s sake and having to move just before her senior year really especially when she had to leave so much behind. She should’ve been preparing for prom with her friends, not getting used to a new house, a new school, a new life.

She was having a crisis and she couldn’t do anything about.

Her father got a new job in this city and she couldn’t be more proud and happy for him for getting promoted. She could still recall how happy he was when he told her the news; how his face lit up like stars the way it used to…

But her happiness was only short lived for right after, he told her about their plans of moving away. Olivia couldn’t say anything considering A: she was only seventeen and she can’t exactly live on her own yet. And B: she’s the only family his father got left after her mother passed away a couple of years ago.

“I know you’re in the middle of high school, but this could be a good start for us.” His father explained and Olivia could hear the hidden message behind his statement:

This could help us move on.

And who was she to say no if this was going to help her father? Her father who had dark circles under his eyes from lack of sleep and doing too much overtime at work; whom she had heard crying a few times at night when he thought she was already sleeping.

They needed this and Olivia would be supportive no matter what.

She just wished it had been easier.

She just wished school didn’t have Math and that she didn’t at it enough for her teacher to assign her a tutor.

I just wish my tutor wasn’t so cold, she had thought the moment Mrs. Chan called in the boy who always sat at the very back of the classroom. The one who seemed to be sleeping half the time and never participated in class discussions yet still managed to get the highest grade.

The boy her teacher called Jungkook. And currently, the boy who just walked away after agreeing to tutor her in Math.

“Well to be honest? I wasn’t expecting him to say yes.” Mrs. Chan chuckled before giving her a small smile. “He’s a sweet boy, Olivia. Don’t worry.”

Olivia bit her lip to keep from saying that she could only see bitterness clouding over the guy. She supposed she had been a little harsh when she taunted him. And she didn’t mean to be mean, but she needed the help and if she wanted to pass this class, she needed help from the smartest kid in class. And it seemed that Jungkook was the guy and he already had “no” written all over his face before Mrs. Chan could even fight for her case.

“He’s very… reserved.” Mrs. Chan explained. “As I’m sure you’ve noticed. So it would be best if you’re the one who approached him first regarding your tutoring schedules."

Olivia nodded and thanked her before sprinting out the door to catch up with Jungkook. Luckily, she was able to catch him by his locker down the hall. She watched him for a while, finally getting a good look at him.

First thing she noticed was that he was tall; with long legs and broad shoulders. A good physique but unfortunately wasted with the way he’s always hunched over and slouching.

The next was: Jungkook was actually good-looking; cute with big doe-eyes. Olivia thought he would’ve been school crush material if he had given a bit of his time in dressing well or maybe combing his hair once in a while… or making an effort to actually smile.  

“Uh. Hi.” Olivia started as she approached him. Jungkook glanced at her briefly then returned his gaze to his locker. Olivia bit her lip and decided not to take it the wrong way. “O—kay. So I’m—“

"We can work after class. Monday's through Wednesday's at the library, 5 P.M. sharp.” Jungkook said before shutting his locker close and giving her a curt glance. Olivia’s mouth was slightly open, surprised by his straightforwardness. Jungkook, on the other hand, merely stared her down with a levelled gaze before continuing. “If you're late, don't expect me to wait for you.”

Olivia closed and cleared . She looked at him and saw that he was still staring, realizing too late that he was waiting for a reply.

“Oh! Um. Yeah, okay. I mean 5 P.M. sounds good. At the library…”

Jungkook nodded. "We can start next week.”

“Why not tomorrow? It’s Wednesday…”

Jungkook gave her a look before shrugging. "If you want.”

“I want to.” She nodded and Jungkook blinked once before nodding as well.

“Okay. See you tomorrow, then.” He turned to leave but Olivia reached out and tugged at his sleeve; stopping him.

She frowned when he saw the way he flinched. She figured he didn't like being touched so she let go immediately.  "Sorry, I—“

Jungkook looked down at his sleeve then at her, raising his eyebrows questioningly.

“I just wanted… to say thank you,” she let out, feeling a little breathless for no apparent reason. “For doing this and for helping me out when you didn't really have to."

Jungkook just stared, his lips pressed in a thin line as she continued. "And I guess I also wanted to apologize a while ago," she said. "I didn't mean to be rude. I just, I really needed the help and—“

“It’s fine.” He interrupted, already turning away. “Bye, Olivia.”

“Wait!”

“What?” He snapped as he half turned in annoyance. Olivia felt a little guilty for keeping him.

“I'm sorry. You can just call me Liv. And uh...—“ she bit her lip. “Can I get your number? I mean, for tutoring purposes. You know... if one of us has an emergency and can’t make it—“

Jungkook looked like he was contemplating real hard before answering, "Like I said, 5 P.M. sharp. We can have a fifteen-minute grace period, if you like. After that, if any of us is not there yet, consider the session cancelled.”

Olivia tried not to linger on the fact that he just pretty much declined her request for his number but decided that maybe he just doesn’t trust strangers with his personal contact. “Oh okay. Cool. Thanks. I’ll…see you tomorrow, I guess?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter