Better Late than Never (Kai, You)

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Expereincing some writer's block on the Hereafter series but :(... don't worry, I'm trying to get it done. :D In the meantime, enjoy this new scenario requested by an anon on Tumblr! :D

 

Clothes... check!
Food... check!
Kai's gift... check!
Shower...check!

You stood in your kitchen checking the baked lasagna, which was currently heating up in your oven. You smiled when you saw that it was going well, the cheese giving that vibrant golden color on top of the pasta. Just a few more minutes, you thought.

It was a special night because today was your 1st anniversary with your boyfriend, Jongin. You had waited for this day, never expecting it to come so soon. To be quite frank, you never expected to come this far too. Not because you didn't love him or he didn't love you, but because of his work; being an idol and all, you thought you couldn’t handle it… The rumors, the haters, even the jam-packed schedules, which hindered you from spending time with him 98% of the time. 

But you did it. You got through one whole year and this definitely caused for a celebration!

A couple of hours later, it was already 9 PM and Jongin usually came home at this hour, considering that his schedule wasn't as hectic as it usually is. You had called him earlier this morning and told him to come over to the apartment you shared, since he usually stayed at EXO's dorm.

He replied with a simple "Okay" and you were a bit disappointed since you were expecting an anniversary greeting to come with it. Nonetheless, you kept your chin up with a smile, thinking maybe he had something planned for you later on. 

Two hours passed and you wondered what was taking him so long. You were seated on the couch; trying not to rumple the new dress you had put yourself into. Your eyes scanned the room before landing on a familiar sight by the desk. You sighed with a smile as you approached it. 

It was picture of you and Jongin taken a few weeks ago during their first solo concert. He had his arms around you while you leaned your head close to the crook of his neck, a wide smile plastered on both of your faces. You held the frame towards your face, smiling as you ran your thumb over his beautiful face; thinking how lucky you were to be his. And how before, he was only a dream out of reach. 

You sighed, telling yourself that he probably got caught up at practice and he couldn’t find the time to send a text though he really wanted to, before placing the frame back on the desk and making your way to your room to retouch your make-up. 

He'll be here soon, you told yourself.

~~~

After another two hours of waiting, you were officially pissed. You couldn't believe that your boyfriend stood you up... on your anniversary! You looked at yourself in the mirror of your bedroom, sighing heavily at the hard work that has gone to waste. You had bought a new dress, even put effort into fixing your hair and putting make up on...only to be stood up?

You were in the middle of muttering curses at Jongin and removing your earrings when you heard the familiar sound of the door opening and closing. Your eyes lit up and you immediately put on your shoes and went towards the living room. 

You caught sight of Jongin, looking tired and unhappy as he removed his jacket and hanging it by the rack while he removed his shoes, leaving it by the door.

Once he looked up and met your eyes, you gave him the sweetest smile you could muster, despite the fact that he had you waiting for hours. "Yeobo."

"Hey." He said giving you a weak smile before moving straight to the couch, not even bothering to give you a kiss or a hug. You watch him sink into the sofa, sighing loudly and you knew something was wrong. "Jongin-ah?" You asked, moving closer to him. "Are you okay?"

"Hmm." He hummed, his arm covering his eyes as he lay back on the headrest. 

"I cooked lasagna and your favorite," You cooed. "Fried chicken~" 

"Why does everyone assume that I love chicken?"

You frowned, quite taken aback by his reply and you didn't know whether you should laugh or take it seriously. "But you do—“

"No, Y/N. I don't always like it." He snapped. "And I'm not in the mood for it right now."

"Jongin—“ you said as you touched his arm but he pulled away almost instantly. You suddenly felt angry at his behavior and you snapped. "Well sorry for doing something nice for you."

Jongin huffed, rolling his eyes as he stood from the couch and going straight to the bedroom.

"Yah, Jongin." You called as you followed him. "Why were you so late?"

"I was at practice." He sighed, the annoyance evident in his tone. "Don't you know that?"

"I do," you huffed. "But you promised you'd come home early today—“

"Well I can't really help it if hyung didn't want to let me go and ask me to do the choreo over and over again." He said darkly as he half turned to face you. "I had a rough day, Y/N. I don't need this right now from you."

You tried to swallow your anger at his harsh reply but it was getting more difficult by the second. "You could have at least call—“

"I didn't have my phone with me." He answered flatly. "Plus, they don't really let us text during rehearsals."

"But—“

"Look, Y/N." He snapped. "Can we talk about this some other time?" He turned away from you, obviously irritated. 

You huffed exaggeratedly as you followed him, your heels clicking on the floor as you stomped angrily towards him. "But you kept me waiting for—“

"Y/N!" He whirled at you, exasperated. "Can you just shut up for a minute?" He ran a hand across his face, cursing under his breath. "Look I'm sorry if I came home late, but you have to understand how busy I am with my career. I'm working Y/N, and it's tiring. So please, I don't need this right now, especially from you! I don't need you nagging at me for not coming home on time. I'm not a little boy!"

The words came out of his mouth like a river, each word drowning you, choking you. Did he really not remember?

 

"But Jongin," you whispered the tears threatened to come. "Today was supposed to be—“

"There's 365 days in a year, Y/N." He said, brusquely. "Don't expect me to remember every single occasion in every single day." He spat.

 

As he turned to leave, you felt something inside of you snap. "Yah! Kim Jongin!" You pulled on him and you felt the muscles on his arm tighten as he shoved his arm forcefully from your grip, causing you to stumble and hit the desk beside you; your body staggering over it.

A glass shattering sounded, caused by a vase to fall to the ground, followed by Jongin's heavy footsteps as he moved towards the bedroom, slamming the door shut. 

You gasped as the sound echoed through the room, your chest heaving from the heat of the argument. You stood up and winced as you felt pain in your right hand. You looked down and gasped when you saw blood staining your palm. Your eyes switched to the table and saw the frame containing the picture of you and Jongin, broken and shattered, blood dripping from its edges. You didn't move and watched the blood run down the glass covering Jongin's smiling face. You blinked and your eyes switched towards the digital clock sitting beside the frame, blinking 11:59 PM.

Happy anniversary Kim Jongin, you thought as tears consumed you. 

~~~

Jongin woke up early the next day, his arm reaching out to your side of the bed. His hand roamed the mattress finding it cold and he opened his eyes only to find the other side of the bed empty. He sat up, looking around as he called groggily, "Y/N?"

No answer.

He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. You never woke up earlier than him. "Y/N?" He called a little louder.

Still no answer.

He grunted as he stood up from the bed, scratching his disheveled hair as he made his way out of the bedroom. Walking down the hall and into the living room, he found he place awfully quiet. There were no sounds of pots clanking in the kitchen, the sound of food sizzling on the pan, or even the hum of the radio which you often listened to in the morning. 

Where is she?, he thought as he turned back to the bedroom. But before he did, his eyes landed on the desk by the hall, his blood suddenly running cold at the sight.

The vase was in shatters on the floor and the table was slightly out of place from its usual position, like it’s been pushed off. Jongin's eyes widened when he neared the table, finding the picture frame broken and shattered. 

But the sight of blood on its edges was what made him flip. He gasped, staggering backwards. "Y/N…" He whispered before his eyes darted around the room. "Y/N?!" He called

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter