Retrouvaille (Jin) Spring Day Series

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(n.) the joy of meeting or finding someone again after a long separation

 

People often asked why he couldn't keep his feet glued to the ground. 

Why he couldn't keep still, why he was always on the move—daring on another adventure. 

He had wings, you see. Unclipped, wide and meant to soar through the clouds. Most people never really understood; called him a lone wanderer—lost in his own vain and pointless dreams. 

At least that’s what his parents always told him. But little did they know Jin’s travels were more than just a lust for distant places…

It was a way of escape. A way of prolonging that little freedom he has left before his responsibilities begin to dictate his life.

"Flight SK 450 bound for Tokyo is now boarding. Repeating the announcement—“

Jin looked up from his reading and his lower lip before sliding in his bookmark through the last page he had read. He grunted as he pushed himself off the metal chair then dusted off his jeans.

Grabbing his backpack, he placed his earphones on both ears and let the music take over before walking towards the boarding gate where a group of people were starting to queue, the upbeat melody blasting through his earphones. 

Jin smiled tightly as he handed over his boarding ticket to the gate attendant. 

"Thank you, sir." She said right after scanning the ticket's barcode. "Enjoy your flight."

Ring!

Jin groaned inwardly at that, knowing it was probably his father or mother calling for him to come home. He had received several text messages from them last night; all of which he left unanswered. He wasn’t ready to deal with all that drama. Their disappointment he could handle, but the drama…the “you’re our only son, you’re supposed to take over the family business” speech he wouldn’t be able to take hearing for the thousandth time. 

It wasn’t that he didn’t want to take over. Jin had graduated college with a degree in business. He was top of his class and has always been a good—obedient—son. But he always felt like things were always full speed ahead of him; his choices already made before he even began to recognize them.

This caused him to be confused most of the time, making him unsure of what he really wanted for himself. And so he did the one thing he thought would help: he left. Travelling helped him think—helped slow things down even for just a moment.

That moment being: a couple of years. That was all he asked and yet his parents couldn’t even give him that. And that’s the reason why he was upset with them. 

So Jin was glad that when he raised his phone to see who was calling, it was neither of the two.

“Noona,” Jin answered, the smile evident in his tone. If there was one family member he didn’t dislike at the moment, it was his cousin, Jisu. “Hey, what’s—” 

"Yah. You're flying again?"

Jin chuckled at her harsh tone, knowing it was her way of saying “How are you?”

"Ah noona, it's like you don't know me at all."

"You just came back from Peru like two days ago!" Jisu exclaimed, making Jin smile as he walked ahead right through the boarding gate. 

"Hmm. So?"

"So?" Jisu scoffed, and Jin could almost imagine her crossing her arms at that moment. "So isn't it a little too early to be flying off to some place again? I didn’t even see you yet!”

“Aww, did you miss me?” 

“Where are you going anyway?" She asked instead, making Jin grin. He looked to his right and saw the sky through the huge glass window. It was a pretty shade of blue and Jin felt a sense of nostalgia come over him at the sight.

"It's spring." He sighed.

"I didn't ask what season it is. I asked where—“Jisu paused and Jin chuckled slightly as his cousin finally realized what he meant. Jisu was only a couple of years older and the person Jin trusted the most. In fact, he trusted her enough that she was the only one who knew about his biggest secret... 

"You're heading for Tokyo."

"Yup."

"You know, you're crazy for assuming she'd be there." She said but her voice was quieter—sweeter than her harsh words.

"I know." Jin could only answer.

"Look Jin,” She started and Jin braced himself for her words. She said them almost every year for the last five years after all. “This is all very romantic and all but don't you think it's time to..."

"You're starting to sound like mom..." He grumbled.

"I wasn't going to say to stop and take over the family business already because that's a choice I want you to make for yourself." She defended and Jin smiled. He wished his parents were more understanding. 

"I just... you've met her years ago, Jin. And it was like, what? A day? And you never saw her again. Don't you think it's a little silly to be chasing after someone who's not really there?” 

Jin's steps faltered as her words sunk, his form just a few meters away from the main gateway that would lead him right into the plane. 

It's been years. Five years to be exact since he met the girl with the flowers in her hair in Tokyo. That girl who made him laugh until his stomach hurt, who made his heart drum against his chest when she smiled at him; and the girl who looked into his eyes and told him he could be whoever he wanted to be.

She was Jin’s biggest secret: the girl he spent a day with in Tokyo and yet never really gotten over. He was nineteen then when he took that trip to Japan; a spontaneous travel right after he got the news from his parents that from now on, he would be participating in all their business matters—meaning attending meetings and even facing their clients, investors, and employees.

He supposed he saw it coming but Jin was terrified when it finally did. He was so young, barely an adult, and yet here he was being given the weight of a whole enterprise on his shoulders with the future and livelihood of thousands of employees in his hands. Jin felt the weight suffocating him and so he did the one thing he could think of at that moment:

He ran.

Or flew rather. Booked a flight and just got on the plane without a second glance.

At his destination, he met her. And he supposed it was the first time someone treated him like a normal person. Not Kim Seokjin, future CEO of Kim Enterprises.

He supposed it was silly and the thought made him smile. Right now, silly was just what he needed to get away from the reality that’s threatening to catch him in a vice grip.

"You've been going there every spring for the last how many years..."

"I know."

"And she never shows up."

Jin sighed, looking out at the huge glass windows, gaze settling on the plane parked by the runway. 

"I know," His voice going a bit quieter. 

"Oh you know?" Jisu teased. "Good to know you know how you're being a complete idiot."

"Is that your way of saying you love me?” 

"No. This is my way of saying maybe... just maybe, it's time to give up Jinie.” She said and he frowned. He wasn’t really sure why had had clung to that particular event in his life. He wasn’t in love—infatuated maybe, but he knew you couldn’t just fall for someone in a day. He was a realist and knew for a fact love was something developed and felt through experiences.  

But why does it feel different with her?

Jin chuckled to himself, amused by his teenage dreams. He was so engrossed with the idea of her: a girl whom he just met on a whim. A girl whose name he didn’t even know. It was ridiculous! It was crazy… and yet it felt good to be that way.

“Jin—“ Jisu started. “You have to come home sometime…”

And there’s it was. Jin knew he was clinging onto a memory; another excuse for escape—for prolonging his freedom. He guessed he liked the thought of being with someone because they genuinely liked each other. Not because their families needed a merger, which was exactly what was going to happen once he took over the company.

“I know.” Jin sighed almost sadly. “Just give me this day. When I get back, I’ll do it. I won’t run away anymore.” 

“Jin—“

“I promise.” Jin added as he stood a bit straighter. “Tell umma and appa I’ll see them in a few days at the meeting.”

Before Jisu could reply, Jin hung up then resumed walking towards the plane that would take him to Tokyo.

~~~

Spring was Jin’s favorite season. He liked the weather a lot; the way the breeze felt too cool but not piercing like in the winter days. How the skies were an expanse of blue in the horizon, and how all the flowers were in bloom wherever his foot set on dirt.

He liked spending spring particularly in Japan because the season seemed to be heightened here. Perhaps it was because of the cherry blossom trees lining the streets, flocked by tourists and young people capturing their moments through camera lenses as the flowers flail gently against the wind. They had cherry blossoms in Korea, but it didn’t feel the same.

And perhaps that was Jin’s biggest bias.

It wasn’t the same because they didn’t meet in Korea.

They met here.

~~~

The girl came into Jin’s life quite unceremoniously when she literally threw herself at him in an embrace.

“Put your arms around me, hurry!” She hissed at him and Jin was startled and frozen in place, which made the girl reach out for his arms and placed them around her waist herself. He wondered if he was being punked—wondered if girls just throw themselves at random guys around here these days. 

Jin remained quiet as they stood there motionlessly in some sort of slow dance position. He was a head taller than her and her hair was braided with tiny white flowers. 

Cute, he thought just as he got a whiff of her scent. She smelled sweet…and it made him dizzy.

Vanilla, he finally declared just as she removed her arms around him. Jin couldn’t help a feeling of disappointment. The moment he realized that, he blinked and shook himself awake.

The girl looked around and Jin wondered who she was hiding from. Before he could raise his head to search and ask, she turned to him and smiled. 

He felt his heart drum at the sight. She was very pretty, with full lips and warm brown eyes.

“Sorry about that.” She smiled sheepishly. “But thanks! You totally helped me out there. They wouldn’t leave me alone.” 

Jin titled his head in question, “Who?”

She waved her hand at him, not answering his question. “Sorry for scaring you. Anyway I’ll—“ Her eyes drifted down to his chest and Jin observed her face turn from smiling to some sort of ecstatic surprise.

“Oh my god! You like them too?!”

Jin’s eyes widened slightly at her excitement and when he follower her gaze, he realized she was staring at his shirt. 

“You know… The Symphony Soldiers?” Jin asked in mild surprise. The Symphony Soldiers were his favorite band. They weren’t main stream and pretty much inexistent in the minds of most people. He didn’t even realize that he was actually wearing the band shirt he had gotten from a friend last Christmas.

The girl looked up at him with another bright smile, nodding enthusiastically. At that moment, Jin knew he was done for.

~~~

Jin sighed as he walked along the gravelled path of Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden. It was his favorite park in Tokyo with its beautiful expanse of grassland and a stunning lake view. He often took long walks around the area when he visited, or jogs when he was feeling diligent for exercise.

He smiled as he walked pass a little boy holding onto his mother’s hand. His head was tilted upwards with his right arm raised, a finger pointing at the trees lining the path—his face with an expression of amazement. Once they passed, Jin looked up as well and sighed. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom and it looked magnificent. He couldn’t blame the kid—or anyone really, for staring at it in awe.

The place was crowded than usual with families having picnics on the grass, children running around, and couples walking hand in hand along the pathways. Jin couldn’t help but feel a sense of loneliness for having to walk through this fine spring day alone, but he knew it was better than being back home right now.

Upon that thought, he frowned, sitting down on a vacant bench overlooking a small lake. He knew he was being selfish for coming here but he needed time to think. He promised them anyway that once he returned, it was going to be for good. He was going to accept his responsibilities in the company and make his parents happy.

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?”

Jin was already shaking his head when he turned, and then stopped as his gaze settled on the source. He felt his eyes widening as recognition dawned on him so hard it felt like a slap in the face.

“Y—you!” He stood up from his seat abruptly, causing the girl to jump back in surprise. She was wearing washed out jean jacket over a flimsy peach dress. Her hair didn’t have flowers in it like before and was shorter, now falling just shy of her shoulders. 

She stared at him for a while and Jin was worried she might not remember him. He wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t considering it has been years and they had only spent a few hours in each other’s presence that day.

An apology was already at the tip of his tongue for barking at her like that when she suddenly smiled, recognition sparkling in her beautiful eyes which caused Jin’s chest to tighten in a weird—but pleasurable way; like he could hardly contain his happiness that breathing became an effort.

“You.” She echoed and Jin wasn’t sure if the shivers he felt were from the gentle breeze that suddenly whipped by or from hearing her voice after so long…

He couldn’t believe his luck. After five long years, he final found her again. And she remembered! She remembered him like he did her and he felt a pleasurable warmth spreading against his chest that made his smile look like it would split his face in half.

“Your soldier boy.” She said and Jin realized they never really introduced themselves properly before. 

“Jin.” He nodded with a chuckle as he reached out his hand for a shake.

The girl seemed surprise, probably realizing that they never really knew each other’s names before. 

She gave him a small smile and took his hand. Her grip was firm and her skin was warm and soft.  Jin felt stupid for noticing such small details but he couldn’t help it.

“Erina.” She said and Jin let it float in his thoughts; tattooing it to memory. “It’s nice to meet you—again, Jin.”

~~~

Jin and Erina spent the whole day together just like they did that very first day. They laughed and chatted about random things; talking like old friends—like the five-year gap never existed.

Jin wondered how he could feel so comfortable with someone he barely knew. But that’s exactly how he felt right now. With Erina, he didn’t feel like running away. He didn’t feel so afraid and he wanted to stay in that moment forever.

But much like the seasons, Jin knew it couldn't last for long.  

Erina sighed the moment they reached the train station. It was late—time slipping quickly from their grasps that Jin barely had time to digest the entirety of the situation: how he met the girl he had been thinking about for years again; how she was standing in front of him as of that moment, looking so beautiful against the street lights…

His heart began beating wildly against his chest and all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter