Midnight Scares & Good Surprises (Jungkook, You)

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Requested by Tumblr anon. 

 

Jungkook fell with a loud thud; his form splayed on the wooden floor like a starfish as he stared at the ceiling with half lidded eyes. His shirt had stuck to his chest from sweat, and his breathing was shallow after that dance routine. Jungkook placed a hand over his eyes and counted to ten until his breathing returned to its normal pace.

8... 9... 10...

Turning his head to the side, he saw the wall clock ticking half past 2 A.M. and let out a deep sigh before pulling himself up.

It's time to call it a night.

Being an idol was hard. But being an idol who was both a perfectionist and so-called "golden maknae" was even harder. Jungkook wanted everything done right with 100% accuracy and precision from hitting high notes to moving his body to the beat. BTS has come a long way since they debuted and the least Jungkook could do was give their fans, who have put them where they are now, a fantastic and memorable performance every single show.

And that means practicing his off to perfect everything.

He grabbed a towel and headed for the shower rooms, determined to go home. After a quick bath, he headed back to the dance room to gather his belongings then checked his phone. It was already 3 A.M. and there was an onslaught of messages in his inbox. Mostly from his hyungs, telling him to go home already and rest. Taehyung was currently on a solo schedule for his drama and it made him smile how even when they were far away, his hyung still reminds him to get his home and actually sleep. Even Yoongi and Namjoon who were probably still up working in the studio, had made time to send him a text.

Jungkook scrolled through the messages then stopped at one particular text, his blood running cold.

911. Call me.

 

Jungkook was already moving; shrugging his jacket on, and grabbing the keys to his car (the company's car, technically) as his fingers moved quickly to tap the call button.

Please be okay, he thought; knowing his girlfriend would never send a 911 text if it wasn't an emergency.  And clipped with a "call me?", Jungkook was sure something was wrong (probably life-threatning) and it scared him so much the sleepiness he felt just a few moments ago disappeared.

She answered on the second ring and Jungkook let out a relieved sigh. "Y/N?? Hey—"

"Jungkook? I'm sorry—"

"Where are you?" Jungkook asked in a rush as he put his phone on speaker then switched the gear shift into reverse; preparing move out of the car space.  "I got your text? What's wrong?"

"I… in the library and—"

"What the hell are you doing there so late?!" Jungkook exclaimed just as he moved out of the basement garage. He made a right turn and started towards the route to the university.

"I'm studying for finals." Y/N explained and Jungkook struggled to hear her voice; soft and uncertain on the other line.  Okay, sure she was in the library but she was literally whispering. "It's next week, remember?"

"Why are you whispering? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay..."

"Then what's the 911?" Jungkook paused, stopping by the side of the road. The hum of the heater circulating in his car the only sound being heard.

"Okay don't laugh. I'm not sure, but I think I saw something..."

"Something..." Jungkook repeated, still confused.

"It's 3 A.M. and I'm basically alone here on the 2nd floor. Call me crazy and I'm probably am," she laughed and Jungkook's eyebrows furrowed worriedly. "Oh god, Jungkook I'm losing my mind here and I think I'm just—"

"Hey hey..." Jungkook interrupted as she ranted. "Babe. Calm down. Take deep breaths and slow down. What exactly did you see?"

"A ghost!" She finally said and Jungkook had to stop and let that process.

It's official. College was making her nuts.

“Okay, babe. I think it's time for you to go home and get some rest."

"You don't believe me." She sounded betrayed and Jungkook rubbed his forehead, exhaustion tugging at him slightly.

"A ghost, Y/N. You call me at 3 A.M. and you tell me that you saw a ghost. What am I supposed to think?" He snapped. "What do you want me to say?"

Y/N was silent on the other end and Jungkook thought he might've sounded too harsh. But he was too tired to put up with this right now even though he felt like a jerk for snapping at her like that.

"You know what? Forget it." She said and Jungkook sighed, knowing she was using her irritated and ‘I’m-upset-with-you-Jeon-Jungkook’ tone.  "Sorry for being such a bother." She emphasized and Jungkook sighed heavily, his lips already opening for an apology.

“Y/N—“

"Goodbye Jung—“ There was a sudden crash and the line went dead, causing Jungkook to jump slightly in his seat.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Y/N?" He sat up straighter before looking at his phone and seeing that the call has indeed ended. He bit his lip and called her again, only to be met by continuous beeping.

What the hell? Jungkook thought, half worried and confused. Sighing through his nose, he placed his phone down and switched the gearshift to drive and returned to the road; hoping Y/N wasn't too mad at him right now.

Even though Jungkook knew he himself would be a little ticked off at his own behavior.

Nice going, Jungkook. Nice going.

~~~

 

Being a college student was hard. Y/N doesn't know how she survives all her courses; each having different sets of requirements she has to meet with deadlines that loom dangerously close with each other.

It was the week before finals and it was what the students at the university considered as "Hell Week". Yup, hell week begins a week before the actual finals itself, because it's the time where most students are cramming to finish their requirements, while binging on junk food to keep their brain cells fed and drinking coffee like their lives depended on it.

Y/N was already on her 3rd serving of tea (not coffee because caffeine actually makes her sleepy) when she heard it.

Click. Click. Click.

She turned but saw no one there and she wondered if her exhaustion was beginning to get to her; causing hallucinations. She went back to her reading but the numbers on her mathematics textbook are already floating in her vision, totally incoherent.

"This is hopeless." She mumbled just as she heard a faint sound of breathing coming from behind her. She turned sharply again and this time, caught a glimpse of a shadow turning at one of the shelves; disappearing from sight almost instantly.

"Sh*t." She squeaked as she blindly searched for her phone on the desk with shaky hands then texted the first person she knew would calm her down.

In a matter of minutes, she received a call back.

"Y/N? Hey—"

"Jungkook?" She huffed, unconscious of how her heart was beating rapidly against her chest. "I'm sorry—"

"Where are you? I got your text? What's wrong? Are you ok??"

"In the library..." Y/N kept glancing at the shelves, almost like she was waiting for something to jump out of there. "I saw something.."

"Something..."

"A ghost!"

There was a pause before Jungkook answered. “Okay, babe. I think it's time for you to go home and get some rest."

"You don't believe me."

"A ghost Y/N? You call me at 3 A.M. and you tell me that you saw a ghost. What am I supposed to think?" He snapped. "What do you want me to say?"

Something in his tone cut right through and Y/N felt incredibly hurt by it. Maybe it was the exhaustion or the lack of food considering she skipped dinner for more study time that made her so sensitive but she was hoping for a different reaction. She guessed... she was hoping Jungkook would at least be a little comforting.

Not sounding overly irritated like he was right now.

"You know what? Forget it. Sorry for being such a bother." She snapped and she knew she was being petty but she also knew she had a right to be upset after Jungkook snapped at her when she was in distress. "Goodbye, Jung—"

The line went dead and Y/N’s mouth hung open; aghast that Jungkook had hung up on her.

"Screw you, Jeon." She muttered as she glared at her phone and slammed it down the desk. She huffed and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter