Wedding Bells (Jimin, You)

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"No, I don't wanna love if it's not you. I don't wanna hear the wedding bells prove. That we can't try, one last time. I don't wanna hear the wedding bells." - Wedding Bells by The Jonas Brothers

*originally posted on Love is Like a Love Song series. Check it out on my list of works! :)

 

"We're just good friends now."

Jimin's own words echoed through his skull as he sat there by the bar, edging on the border between barely sober and utterly wasted.

The air around him felt too hot and he had already undone the first few buttons of his dress shirt, as well as pulled up his sleeves to his elbows to lessen the feeling of suffocation, but it didn't lessen the weight that seemed to be pushing down on his chest. It didn't help that the room smelled of alcohol and sweat, a pungent odor that made him want to puke his guts out.

But Jimin knew it was more than that. It was more than just the aroma of the room or the massive migraine pounding in his head from drinking too much. If he was being honest, the little muscle on his left chest hurt a lot more.

The night had started out so well. It was his free day after a month of jam-packed schedules, long rehearsals for their comeback and world tour. It was his much-needed rest day; to just re-charge and maybe read some comic books he had been putting off for a while now. But then there was that call alter in the day... and the voice that held his heart in a vice grip, controlling his lips to say "yes" without delay the moment it raised the question: "can we meet up later?"

Jimin had always deemed himself as a strong-willed person, but that all seemed to be a joke when it came to one, particular girl...

Y/N. Jimin's best friend, and also his former high school sweetheart. Yes, his best friend was also his ex-girlfriend.

Jimin and Y/N knew each other for a very a long time, having lived next door to each other at his hometown in Busan. Y/N was this girl with the sparkly eyes and a smile that lit up the whole room like she was the sun personified. She was the girl who told corny jokes but never failed to make Jimin laugh; the girl with the passionate loathing for Math and would always ask Jimin for help—who in turn almost never said no. She was the girl who made Jimin's heart race with a mere smile and made him want to do anything just to keep her happy. She was that girl...the very first girl he ever loved.

It was no surprise to their families and friends when they became an item in high school. In fact, when they announced it, everyone cheered like they had been watching the two of them in a K-Drama all along, waiting for that big reveal. Jimin thought those years were one of the best in his life. It was already great with Y/N being his best friend, but having her as a girlfriend—being able to call her his own was complete bliss. He thought they were unbreakable. Perfect.

But that was what love did to you: it made you blind to reality; made you forget that perfection was something you could never really achieve and that some things in life, no matter how unbreakable they may seem, eventually fall apart.


And that was exactly what happened to them.

The break up was mutual, but was mainly caused by Jimin's dreams. He wanted to go to Seoul, to become a singer and live out his dream of becoming an idol people looked up to. He eventually moved to the big city to train, but every choice had a consequence. And with him choosing his dreams, he was also jeopardizing his relationship with Y/N. The more he trained and reached his goal, the more hours spent together dwindled, phone calls and text messages ignored, and visits to and fro to Busan decreased at an alarming rate. It didn't take long for the fights to get tiring and Y/N finally brought up that it was probably best to let go of what they had. 

Jimin could still remember that day: the crisp autumn air against their faces as they stood by the railing on one of the viewing decks at Namsan park.

"I think we should break up." She said and Jimin would be lying if he said he didn't see it coming. It was pretty obvious already with their current situation and Y/N could barely look him in the eye since they met up earlier that day. He could read her like a book and he knew the plot before it unfolded.

"If that's what makes you happy." Jimin had answered and Y/N gave him a small smile, one which pinched at his heart as it looked not happy, not sad, but almost relieved.

"Thank you."

After that, Jimin drove her to the train station where they hugged goodbye before she boarded. Jimin stood back and just watched her get into queue with a sad look in his eyes, wondering if it would be the last time they would see each other for a while. He knew about break-ups and though it was mutual, he also knew that they would need time to heal. They were both hurt by this... at least he was.

"Jimin." Y/N suddenly called and Jimin hated himself for feeling suddenly hopeful—hopeful that she would take it back, that she would say she would wait for him on the other side no matter how long it took him. But he knew that was only wishful thinking.

"I know break-ups don't work like this but before anything, you're my best friend. And I don't want to lose you." She said and something in her words was so honest and sincere that it was like a comforting pat on Jimin's aching heart. She was right. Just because they didn't work out as lovers, doesn't mean it was the end.

"You won't." He said and Y/N gave him a smile, one that looked more familiar—happier. Jimin decided then that he would do anything for her to stay happy. So, they picked up where they left off—as friends. Although they didn't contact each other much with being busy with their own lives, it lessened that feeling of responsibility as they were no longer in a committed relationship. It worked well for the both of them and Jimin could feel that she was happier with how they were now. He could see it in her eyes whenever they met up to catch up. And that was enough for him.

Little did he know that was his big mistake: continuing to let her hold his heart...continuing to hold on to that spark of hope that they could try again. After five years, he realized that too late. And everything fell apart (for a second time) earlier that cold night in April...

Flashback (earlier that night)

"So why did you call me out here?" Jimin smiled cheekily as he leaned over her. "Missed me?"

Y/N took a sip of her margarita, smiling back. Jimin wished he could kiss her then, taste her lips and feel her body fitting against his, the way it did before. But of course, he willed himself not to because even though he was still in love with his ex, he was also her best friend. And friends don't kiss each other the way he wanted to kiss her at that moment.

"You're drunk." She replied, but it was playful and joking. If they weren't "just friends", it would probably count as flirting.

Jimin snorted as he took a swig from his Soju bottle. He made an "aah" sound as he placed it back down on the table. "You know my tolerance is higher than that. And you just avoided the question."

"I always miss you, Jiminie." She cooed and Jimin ignored the fact that her answer made him feel all warm inside. She suddenly turned sideways on the stool she was sitting on so she could face him. "I called you because I have something important to tell you."

Jimin nodded, turning a little as well to show that she had his attention.

"Can you keep a secret?" She asked, leaning closer to him and reaching out to take one of his hands.

"Did you commit a crime?"

She slapped his chest and rolled her eyes. "No."

"Kidding. What is it?"

Y/N paused for a while and when she finally spoke, Jimin swore he felt the ground shaking beneath his feet, the room suddenly spinning around him like they had been hit by an earthquake.

"I'm getting married!"

"Jimin?" Y/N called, looking concerned. "Hey, did you hear what I said?"

"W—what?" Jimin asked, hating the way his voice cracked.

Y/N huffed. "I said, I'm getting married! To Jongin. I started seeing him like a while ago. He's my colleague at the company I'm working for. I told you about him on the phone before."

Oh... that Jongin, Jimin thought bitterly but swallowed it down.

"I... you... married?"

"Yes! Are you okay? I've said it over three times already!"

He wanted to tell her that he heard her loud and clear. He just couldn't quite believe it.

"I can't wait for you to meet him, Jimin. He's..." she sighed and Jimin couldn't deny the pain in his chest at the dreamy look in her eyes. "He's just perfect and when we started dating last October I just knew! Now we're getting married in June—"

Time seemed to stop at the mention of the months and Jimin did the math quickly in his head. That meant Y/N and Jongin had only been dating for more or less 6 months. And now they were getting married...in 2 months?!

We dated for four years before calling it quits, he thought, feeling suddenly betrayed.

"Whoa, hang on. Are you saying you just met this guy and started dating him half a year ago...and now you're engaged to him? And getting married in two months?!"

Jimin knew he sounded harsh, but he didn't seem to care. He wanted her to see his discomfort on the news. He wanted her to see that he was displeased.

"Yeah, so? People get engaged after dating for like a couple of months. It doesn't matter how long we were together." She explained and a part of him believed her. After all, he already loved her the first day they met. "I love him, Jimin. And he loves me too."

At her statement, Jimin became more than just displeased... he went livid. And he let his feelings speak for the next few seconds, which he knew he would probably regret later.

"Y/N...this is crazy! You barely know the guy and you want to settle down and marry him?" This is crazy. I'm the one who knows you well.

"Yes, because that's what you do when you love someone." She said matter-of-factly, her smile fading and her words feeling like sharp bullets shot through Jimin's heart. "Jongin is a nice guy—"

"I don't care if he is. That's not the problem here, Y/N. The problem is you're diving into this too fast." I loved you first. I loved you longer.

"Why are you being like this? I thought you would be happy for me?! You're my best friend, Chim."

"It's not that I'm not happy for you." I am unhappy. "I just think he's wrong for you..." I'm right for you.

"Oh!" She chuckled but there was no humor in it. "And you know that, how?! You haven't even met him and you decided to just judge him like that?!" Y/N seemed to have heard enough, putting her drink down with a bang on the table and causing some people on the bar to give them looks. "I don't understand why you're acting this way. What did Jongin ever do to you?!"

Steal you from me. "I just think this is a mistake."

There was a pause and Y/N stared at him for a while before finally standing up from her seat and collecting her things. She slapped a bill on the table, paying for her drink before facing him again.

"I don't know what's wrong with you right now, but I can't talk to you when you're being like this."

"I'm completely fine!" Jimin argued as he stood up as well, staring her down. "You're the one who's not thinking straight."

"I am thinking straight! I love him!"

"It doesn't matter!" He shouted back. "The point is: you don't know each other well enough! Don't come crying to me when your marriage ends as quickly as you said yes. Because it sure as hell will."

The moment the words were out of his mouth, he wanted to take them back, badly. He knew they were too harsh and he didn't mean it. The look of hurt that passed over Y/N's face was like a punch in the gut.

"Fine." She muttered as she wiped a single tear that fell from her cheek hastily. Jimin closed his fists till they had turned white, preventing himself from cupping her face to wipe her tears. He knew he was being unreasonable. He knew he went too far.

Y/N turned to leave but looked over her shoulder all of a sudden to add, "And don't worry. You won't have to say 'I told you so' if it ends as quickly as you assume. Because I won't even come to you anymore. Goodbye, Jimin. Have a nice life."

All of a sudden, he was catapulted to their break up five years ago. Only this time, Jimin felt like it was truly the end. He knew it probably was. Y/N was getting married in two months. He was losing the love of his life forever. And what's worst?

Because of his stupid mouth and because he was unable to hold in his stupid feelings, he also lost his best friend for good.

Sh*t.

~~~

Jimin's manager drove him home after being contacted by the owner of the bar at 2 AM, saying Jimin was punch drunk by the bar, almost unconscious. His manager had to half carry him to the car, all the while putting a hat over his head to keep people from taking pictures. Jimin was sure pictures of him would be all over the news tomorrow.

At the dorm building, Jimin was being difficult and insisted on coming up alone. His manager was too tired to argue but didn't leave

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter