Two Ibuprofens

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That weekend a knock at your door on Saturday evening caught you by surprise. You hurried over to it thinking it was probably your Grandfather. As you yanked the door open, a man dressed in a dark brown uniform greeted you before handing you a box that smelled of freshly cooked food.

“Delivery from Yumae Luncheon,” he announced.

“Who is it from?” you asked while you signed away the delivered tab that was handed to you.

“It was preordered,” he replied, completely disregarding your question.

Once he drove away, you speculated who had ordered food for you as you retreated into your apartment.

You set the box down in your kitchen and proceeded to open it. A bowl with warm soup covered by a plastic top was full of condensation. A small juice sat beside it and the main bowl appeared to be of some porridge made with chicken.

You frowned and stared at the food until you realized a paper that was stuck to the side of the main bowl. You pulled it free to realize the name on the receipt belonged to your one and only neighbor: Dokyeom.

 

With the box in one arm, you knocked on Dokyeom’s door. You waited and waited and then afterwards knocked again however, no one came to answer. Of course! You could call him. You felt your pockets to locate your phone, only to realize you had left it on your kitchen table.

“Seokmin!” you yelled from outside, “open the door!”

When you were greeted with nothing but silence you reached over to the doorknob and fiddled. To your surprise it was unlocked.

As you slowly opened his front door you called out to him, “Seokmin…?”

Again, there was dead silence.

You stuck your head in to peer around his empty living room, “Seokmin?? Where are you?? Why is your door unlocked?”

You jumped at the sound of him . You glanced around but did not see him anywhere. When a bare foot poked out from behind his couch you slowly entered into his place, leaving the door ajar.

On the ground, wrapped in two blankets, Dokyeom laid drowsily. His hair was frazzled and his eyes closed.

“Seokmin…what are you doing? Are you ok?” When he didn’t respond you added, “This food…is it yours? If it is then I think they delivered it to the wrong place. I’ll place it in your kitchen for you, ok?”

On your way towards the kitchen you heard him cough a painful sound. Was he sick? You quickly placed the box down onto his kitchen table and made your way back over to him who was now lying on his back. From the daylight that was blocked by his blinds you could see a shimmer of sweat on Dokyeom’s face.

You kneeled down beside him and placed your hand on his forehead. A gasp escaped your throat, “You have a fever…”

You then shot up to glance around his place. Where could his medicine cabinet be?

You hurried over to the kitchen and while yanking all the drawers to look for medicine, a slight breeze blew Dokyeom’s door open. You ran over to shut his door and locked it into place before returning to the kitchen to search for meds.

“Two ibuprofens should help for now,” you stated before lifting Dokyeom’s head off the floor to place onto your lap. “Here…take these,” you directed and he opened his mouth. You fed him the medicine and then followed it with water.

“Thanks…” he managed to mumble before sighing and resting on your lap. The sweet smell of your laundry detergent filled his nose with spring. Your comfort made him want to reach both arms out to hold you.

“Um…why are you laying here?...Shouldn’t you be laying in your bed?”

“I’m too sick to move…” he replied, his voice quiet and exhausted.

“Here…I’ll help you,” you suggested and proceeded to gather him into your arms. But who were you kidding?? You didn’t have enough strength to help a man who was 5’10.

At the feel of you tugging on Dokyeom he opened his eyes to look at you, “I’m so hungry.”

“Let’s get you to the bed first…” you replied and proceeded to fix his blanket. “How did you get so sick?”

“I don’t know…I woke up this morning not feeling well…”

“Come on…let’s get up and go to your bed…I’ll give you the food after,” you stated and with that Dokyeom proceeded to pull himself up off the ground while you guided him.

You were concerned. You had never seen Dokyeom so sick before. It was a good thing that the food was delivered to the wrong place. Otherwise…you would have never known.

You entered into his bed with him and realized, his place was grand for a reason. The space in his room was enormous, triple the amount you had. His low setting bed was f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter