The Kids Love Him

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You opened your eyes that Sunday morning to remember that you had never replied to Jun. After a long debate, you decided not to message him. If you did, you would feel guilty turning down his plan.

That evening Jun checked his phone one last time to see if he had received a message or miss call from you. At the sight of no notifications, he figured your response to hanging out was a no. Either way, he was planning to go to Lake Myeong.

Every year during this specific Sunday, he would join young elementary kids at their baby lantern festival. He would chaperone and help the kids light their lanterns when the night fell into place. He always volunteered and had become friends with a few of the teachers who ran the event. This was something he never missed. Last year, the guys had gone to help him volunteer as well but this year, they were busy.

By 4:30pm that Sunday, Jun packed a few of his things into his book bag and headed out to the event. When he got there, numerous kids ran to him like ducks to their mother. He got down on one knee to remove his book bag from his back as the kids lined up to give him hugs.

 

“Have you all decided on your new wishes this year?” he asked while sitting in a circle with ten kids. A few others were playing off to the side of the lake while some rolled around in the half-dying grass.

“YEA!” the kids shouted in unison and he smiled in response.

“They’ve been asking for you since this morning,” one of the teachers announced from a few feet away.

“What about you brother Jun?” a little girl asked, “Did you think of a wish?”

“Me?” he nodded, “of course I thought of one,”

“What is it?” she questioned and the rest of the kids chanted together, cheering, encouraging him to reveal his wish.

“It’s not a wish if I tell you,” Jun replied and the kids moaned with disappointment. “I’m just kidding,” he stated, “I wish to spend more years like this with you all.”

“Older brother,” a young boy stated from beside him.

Jun looked at him with raised eyebrows to let him know he had all of his attention.

The little boy pointed to the girl beside him. “Nana told me she wished to marry you when she grows up,” he revealed before showing Jun a gummy smile. The boy had lost his two front teeth and Jun could see his left incisor growing in.

“No I didn’t!” the little girl defended and Jun looked over to her.

“By the time you grow up, I’ll be too old,” he replied with a laugh.

“No you won’t,” she answered completely forgetting that she had just denied the statement.

Jun smiled, “Be good. Listen to your teacher and study hard. When you grow up, I’ll marry you,”

Jun’s comment sent the little girl into a shy laugh and all the little boys found it to be ghastly as they all wailed a disgusting noise.

As the night fell and the children’s parents began to show up to join the event, Jun began to pass out the miniature lanterns. Although he was pretty much an adult, there was something about this event that made him feel like a child again.

 

“Excuse me…is this the stop for Lake Myeong?” you questioned while staring at the back of the bus driver’s head.

His eyes darted to the rearview mirror to take a look at you, “Yes it is.”

“Oh, ok, thanks,” you answered as you hurried off the bus that was already in motion.

After the bus drove away and the crosswalk sign flashed, you hurried over towards the lake. Underneath a large tree that had lost its leaves, you reached into your pocket to call Jun. Why hadn’t Jun picked up his phone? You had called him at least 50 times by now.

Before the ringing sent you to voicemail you noticed Jun in a squat talking to a little girl that held an open round lantern in her hand. Without realizing it, you made your way over to them. When the girl looked at you causing Jun to look as well, you quickly pretended to be occupied by the dead winter scenery around you. The little girl ran off and Jun stood up to approach you, his walk slow and his steps small.

“So you decided to come?” Jun asked making you look up at him. His question didn’t make you feel any better as it only fired a horrible guilt in your chest.

Instead of apologizing you scolded, “Why didn’t you pick up for phone?? I was worried. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter