Stargazing Scheme

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stood there in the middle of the field late that evening while picking up trash. The grass was dying, half green and half brown. Scraps of confetti draped over the grass reminding you of rivers from a birdseye view. Tall LED flood lights, one in each corner of the track beamed brightly down at you lighting up the soccer field. You thought about Iseul for a few minutes before Vernon occupied your mind.

“Aren’t you cold?”

You swung and pointed your trash picker like a rifle at the stranger a few yards away. Woozi pulled free his white hoodie from his head and you sighed with relief.

“Don’t worry I have no interest in you, let alone have time to harm you,” Woozi assured and bent over to tie his shoe laces.

When he finished tying his laces he got up and looked at you. His eyes were small, yet puppy like. His skin was clean, and his blond hair was beautiful. Maybe it was the LED lights or some secret shampoo he was using. Whatever it was, the texture looked silky smooth.

“Is that material even thick?” Woozi asked while nodding at your janitor suit.

You studied your outfit, “Mmm yeah why?”

He shrugged, “Ok, as long as you say so,”

After yanking his hoodie back onto his head, he began to jog away towards the track that lined the field.

 

Woozi ran around the field once while minding his own business. He had been working hard on composing new works for the Seventeen Carat Club all the while trying to figure out who the secret student, FriendGirl, was. Exercise helped ease his stress and tonight was a night for exercise. In the midst of his second lap, the LED lights shut off completely and he continued running. It was typical for the lights to go off. He had exercised in the dark a dozen times that it had become normal to him.

“Woozi!” you yelled from where you stood. At the sound of you calling for him, he glanced over to your silhouette in the dark. “Woozi!?” you yelled again, this time louder than before and he slowed in his run while wondering what was wrong with you.

When your eyes finally adjusted, you scanned the track to see if you could see Woozi’s blond hair somewhere. By the time you could make him out he was jogging over to you. As soon as he got close enough, you threw the trash picker aside and hurried over to him.

The way you seized Woozi’s arm forcefully puzzled him. Like a leech, you were unwilling to let go even when he tried moving away.

“Uh…are you ok?” Woozi asked looking down at you confused. You didn’t respond. All you could think of was Seokmin. Where was he in a moment like this?? “Are you ok? What’s wrong?” Woozi asked again. Originally, he wasn’t worried, but now he was.

“Umm…can we go back to the main building?” you begged.

“Uhhhh…sure…did something happen?”

A buzz from Woozi’s phone made you jerk with fear.

“That’s just my phone…” Woozi assured as his phone vibrated a few more times between your thigh and his. From your reaction Woozi asked, “Are you scared of the dark or something?”

“No…” you replied unwilling to tell the truth.

“Um…you’re holding on too tight…my arm is going numb...can you,”

“OK! Yes! I’m scared!”

You held Woozi’s arm plastered against your chest. You waited, you listened; feeling embarrassed the way you felt with Seokmin all over again.

“You’re not kidding right?” Woozi questioned hesitantly.

You thought for a bit. You still had a chance to hide your secret. Maybe it was best you didn’t agree this time around. You loosened your grip around Woozi’s arm but before you let go, Woozi touched your hand. His skin was warm against yours, comforting you from your anxious heart.

“Hey, don’t be scared ok? If you didn’t know, these lights just go off because there’s not enough motion to keep them on. Campus is pretty safe. I run here in the dark all the time,”

Suddenly both you and Woozi gasped when a shooting star shot across the sky. The cold air hung silently around you and him for two completely different reasons.

Woozi felt strange. Somehow, he felt utterly uncomfortable. Truth is, he had never had a girlfriend before. Nor has he ever even shared a moment like this with a girl. You on the other hand, was taken aback from the shooting star. It reminded you of Seungkwan and the airplanes you watched with him a while back.

 

“Hey, did you make a wish?” you asked while staring at the empty space the shooting star once occupied.

“No…why?” Woozi questioned.

“You should’ve. That was your chance,” you replied enthusiastically.

Woozi made a face. Weren’t you scared not too long ago? Now you were a completely different person. Even though Woozi wasn’t really into all that unrealistic star-wishing stuff, when you asked, he unexpectedly felt pathetic inside.

“That was magical,” you announced and looked over at Woozi. Your eyes met for a quick second before you looked away. You slowly pulled away your hands, “Woozi, sorry. I didn’t mean to hold your arm…”

Although he wasn’t sure why he felt slightly affected, Woozi answered, “It’s ok. If you’re scared it’s understandable. Come on let’s go,” He reached to drag the trash can while you stood there dumbfounded. Should you thank him for being considerate?

You walked beside Woozi up the trail back to the school while he dragged the trash can behind him. The breezeway was comforting. All the night lamps were on and lining each side, allowing you to see every piece of dirt and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter