Better In Dark Hair

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoshi sat at the lunch table that Monday in silence while staring out of the window beside him. His friends chattered loudly but he didn’t say a word. Since Saturday he had been thinking to himself and wondering what had gotten into him. The more he contemplated what he did the more embarrassed he felt. Thank goodness, Vernon didn’t know. If he did, Hoshi would have been even more embarrassed.

The memory of how your eyes looked at him and the way you clung so tightly to him made his heart pound with anticipation. Hoshi hated that he felt that way. He hated that he actually enjoyed every moment under the spotlight with you.

“Hoshi, what’s wrong?” Minghao asked while feeding Hoshi some chicken. Hoshi looked at the piece of white meat and took it into his mouth.

“Nothing,” he replied and shared Minghao a smile.

“You’ve been so quiet. You’re usually not this way,”

“I’m a bit tired,” Hoshi replied. Yeah right. He wasn’t tired at all. His body felt fine. It was his mind that was exhausted from thinking way too much.

A loud laughter arose from their friends and both Minghao and Hoshi turned to see what the ruckus was all about. Whatever it was, it didn’t faze Hoshi. He just looked back out towards the windows and continued to mind his own business.

 

After lunch, Vernon saw Hoshi standing out in the courtyard. It wasn’t normal for Hoshi to be out there. If anything, it should have been Seungkwan out there. Everyone knew how much Seungkwan loved that courtyard.

“You ok Hosh?” Vernon asked while slipping his hands into his rose quartz pants.

“I’m ok,” Hoshi replied.

“I’m still trying to get over the whole ordeal from Saturday,” Vernon admitted.

“Me too,”

“You know what Hoshi? I think I understand what you mean now,”

“About what?” Hoshi questioned.

“Genuine crying,”

Vernon’s comment brought the memory of Hoshi kissing you back into his head.

“She cried?” Hoshi asked.

Vernon nodded in reply before he answered, “I think she felt very bad…”

“As long as Director Jeon didn’t scold her, then that’s all that matters,” Hoshi replied while he stared at the treble cleft figurine that was drizzled with water in the center of the courtyard, “I just find it so odd that she ended up there…and her hair. She just looked…she looked so different,”

“I think she looked very pretty. But I like her better in dark hair,” Vernon replied and Hoshi looked over to Vernon. Was his friend captivated by you too? Everyone knew you were Jeonghan’s best friend, but no one ever said anything about liking you.

Hoshi’s eyes darted back over to the treble cleft before he replied, “Acting is too hard for me,”

 

It was 3pm while you headed over to Pledis University. Another call from Principal Mr. Kwon had you walking over there full of concern. Saturday was definitely the reason why.

You entered the school and unlike you had ever experienced before, students crowded the hallways. Their uniforms were beautiful and gleaming of talent. The girl uniforms were so pretty and sophisticated that you couldn’t help but frown in response. In contrast to their elegance, you wore a pair of jeans with a scrappy sweatshirt. You tugged on your maroon satchel and wished you would turn invincible. However, when your unfeasible wish didn’t occur, you anxiously walked your way to the principal’s office.

A handsome and tall man slowed you down when he asked, “Oh! Aren’t you Mingyu’s girlfriend?”

You didn’t even bother to look at who it was. The question that came from his mouth was enough to cause a scene in the hallway. You reached up to let loose some strands of hair from behind your ear in hopes to conceal your face as you hurried away.

“Isn’t she his girlfriend?” the tall student asked again while he looked over to his basketball mate.

“It looks like her,”

“Why isn’t she wearing her uniform?”

They stared at each other and shrugged in unison.

“What did you say?” Miya asked while walking over to Mingyu’s teammates. Miya was an athlete herself. She was ranked #2 in her conference during her tennis match last semester. She and Mingyu shared a lot of time together being that they were both skilled at sports. She had been rumored to be Mingyu’s girlfriend all last year until he made it known that they were nothing more than colleagues.

Mingyu’s teammates looked at each other and did not reply. They knew better than to get Miya involved.

 

You knocked on the door to Mr. Kwon’s office. When you heard him invite you in, you turned the doorknob and entered. Inside the grand office, Vernon and Director Jeon were sitting across from Mr. Kwon. Your eyes darted to the ground while you waited to be told what to do.

Mr. Kwon directed for Vernon and Director Jeon to leave and you scooted away from the doorway.

When Vernon passed you, he wished time would stop still. He wanted to talk to you. He wanted to tell you everything that just occurred before you arrived. If only that was possible. Your eyes followed Vernon out of the room until he closed the door behind him.

“I’m sure you know why you are here,” Mr. Kwon stated and you looked at him. “Please sit,” he suggested as he directed you to sit in the seat Vernon was recently in. Upon your touch, the seat felt warm and cozy, reminding you of the way Vernon comforted you on Saturday.

“Because it wasn’t your fault, I will not contact your Grandfather. However, I ask that you be more careful next time.”

“Yes sir, I’m sorry,” you replied unwilling to look at Mr. Kwon.

“I was told that the performance was very bad. But, good thing, Iseul was scouted and recently signed a contract. The reporters somehow had great reviews for your performance so I thank you for not making a big deal out of this,”

You looked up to meet Mr. Kwon’s eyes while he leaned back in his chair. You had gotten Iseul a contract? How? It had to have been Hoshi and Vernon’s doing; not yours.

“I am aware that you’re not dressed properly because I called you here early but if you could help clean the theatre auditorium tonight I would appreciate it. We have a mini concert coming up in some weeks and I would like the place to look presentable after this Saturdays’ event,”

 

 

You shut the door behind you and was greeted with a less crowded hallway. On your way back to the front of the school you peered through the glass windows and into the courtyard. You saw Dino sitting at a bench; completely focused on some papers in his lap. You reached in your maroon satchel for your phone.

A ding from Dino’s phone made him look over to his electronic.

Dino unlocked his phone and at the site of your message he grinned.

“How cute. Took you long enough…” Dino stated as he looked up to search around. When he caught you standing inside and looking at him through the window he waved at you.

You gave him a little wave back, however Jun approached Dino and the moment ended as quickly as it began.

“Dino, why are you out here alone?” Jun asked.

“I was trying to finish this schematic for my commerce class,” Dino replied. He t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter