Consider Us Even

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That next day you stood in front of the school like you had done a long time back when you used to attend Sejong University. You stared at the glass doors and the smooth brown handles that once were inviting and soft. Unlike before, Pledis no longer had an appeal of magic and talent.

Why was it that now you only saw horrible memories of Emjae?

“Do you need a map to get inside?” Woozi teased as he watched you use your sleeve to swiftly catch the tear that dripped from your eye. When your red eyes finally focused on Woozi’s face you noticed his hair. It was no longer the familiar blonde but a dark shiny black. It was so different; you almost didn’t recognize him.

As if he read your mind, he asked, “Do you like it?”

“Um…”

He sniffled out a half laugh, “I guess you do,”

With a slightly discombobulated mind, you watched him head over to the doors. Woozi pulled open one side and held it open with his feet. When he looked back at you, he complained, “How long do you plan to stand out here in the cold? I don’t want to get sick you know?”

At his remark, you thanked him on the way in.

“Why do you look so unhappy? It’s not because of what happened this weekend is it?” Woozi asked as he let go of the door behind him.

“Of course not,” you lied.

“Wow, you are a strong person,” Woozi stated sounding more sarcastic than thoughtful. But who could blame him? He had never had his own relationship before. Truthfully, he could only try to sympathize with you. He didn’t know how it felt to actually be heartbroken.

At the sound of his words you ignored him and headed over towards the janitor closet. You dug the stash of keys out from your satchel and without thinking jabbed the correct key into the lock. Before you could turn the key and open the door, Woozi placed his hand on top of yours.

“Why are you acting so strong when you’re hurting inside?” Woozi asked. The sound of Woozi assuming you were hurt bothered you. Although it was true; did he have to announce it?

Your eyes wondered over to him but you couldn’t look him in the eyes. Instead you found yourself staring at the chest of his uniform and his ed collar shirt underneath.

You let out a breath of strength and replied, “I’m not hurting,”

“You can only act like you are ok for so long, you know?”

“I’m not acting. And who told you to care about what is going on with me. I can handle my own issues,”

“You know I was there right?” Woozi asked to remind you that he had witnessed your situation on Saturday.

“So what if you were there? What do you want me to do? Pat you on the back for witnessing it?”

“Why are you so upset?”

“I’m not upset!”

“Then why are you yelling?” Woozi whined a bit confused. Did he happen to offend you in the process of trying to be caring? He swore, his words sounded better in his head.

You yanked your hand and the keys away from the doorknob to free your hand from Woozi’s. You inhaled to calm the stirred and upsetting emotions in your chest. You were experiencing waves of random emotions, and poor Woozi had to experience your unexplainable anger.

Why were you so upset anyway?

It was because of Woozi. Woozi was bothering you.

No…it was because Woozi was right. You were only pretending to be ok. But why did he have to rub it in your face??

“I’m sorry,” you stated calmingly. Woozi watched you turn to face him as your eyes fixated onto his. “I’m not in the mood today, let’s pretend we don’t know each other. Can we do that?”

“Is that really what you want?” Woozi asked.

“Yes,”

“Ok,” Woozi shifted his feet below him, “that’s even better. At least then, I don’t have you call you by name.”

Confused by his words, you watched him walk off down the hall. After distancing himself a few yards away from you he turned around to look at you. To test his own suspicions, while pacing backwards, Woozi placed both hands at the sides of his mouth and shouted from down the hall, “FriendGirl! When you want to be friends, I’ll be ready!”

“Hey! Don’t call me that, I feel horri…” your words ended leaving nothing but air to escape your throat. You caught yourself with wide eyes from shock while your body froze, solidifying into an unmovable statue. The only thing able to move were your eyeballs that watched Woozi smirk a side smile before he exited through the doors that led to the courtyard.

 

Your breathing slowly came back to you as the keys in your hands slipped causing a loud clash in the quiet hallway.

He knew. Woozi knew. But how?? You quickly picked up the keys and scrambled your way into the janitor closet to hide yourself. From the inside, you locked the door and curled up into a ball in the dusty corner.

Your mind no longer had a trace of Emjae, instead it was filled with Woozi and all the excuses you would tell him when you saw him again.

You picked at your bottom lip with one hand while your other hugged your knees to your chest. You contemplated a full conversation to yourself and your teeth out of disappointment every time you rehearsed your excuses.

Nothing seemed to sound persuasive enough. Not even your honesty. What if Joshua found out? What if Joshua knew that you weren’t as honest as he thought you were. You had to go tell Joshua. You had to let him know first.

You shot up from where you sat only to remember Joshua had left to his music academy. You reached into your satchel that still hung around your shoulder and pulled out your phone.

As soon as you pulled Joshua’s name up, you hesitated. What if you told Joshua and he no longer saw you the same? The thought of disappointing him turned your stomach sour.

You began to think about the relationship between your afterschool friends. Did Woozi know Joshua? Have you seen them together? Did Joshua know Woozi? Did they ever associate? What about Woozi and Seungcheol? What about….

In the moment of anxiety, you decided you had to speak to Woozi. Maybe you could bribe him. Maybe you could beg him to not reveal the truth. Maybe you could plead for forgiveness and apologize for everything. The last thing you wanted was for Mr. Kwon to find out and tell your Grandfather. Or…was it your relationship with Joshua that worried you?

You flung your arms around to dismiss your thoughts and swung the closet door open. With your phone in hand you dialed Woozi’s number and headed out towards the courtyard.

 

Dokyeom noticed you from down the hall and watched you oddly march your way outside. You appeared completely preoccupied with something and he curiously followed you out to the courtyard.

“Hey, where are you?” you asked impatiently into the phone.

“Who is this?”

You frowned at Woozi’s nonchalant reply. How dare he act like he didn’t know who it was?? While ski

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter