For The 10th Time

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hours passed and your face was dried with streaks of tears. You sat in the waiting room of the emergency suite with sweaty palms clasped together. The untouched cup of cold water that the nurse had brought out to you sat beside you on a brown wooden lamp table.

They couldn’t tell you much but that your Grandfather had suffered an injury and they suspected it to be related to his heart. The thought of him not coming back made your eyes leak tears again and again.

Your Grandfather’s chauffeur sat beside you and couldn’t even figure out what to say to you as he was extremely worried himself. Finally, he swallowed and mumbled, “he was brought over by a helicopter as fast as possible, let’s hope for the best,”

“What if he doesn’t wake up?” you questioned, your vision blurring from your tears again.

And just like that, the conversation was cut short.

 

You awoke from a shake from the nurse. You must have cried yourself to sleep in the waiting room. Your eyes felt stiff and puffy. You glanced to see that your Grandfather’s chauffer was no longer sitting beside you. You quickly looked around, searching anxiously for a clock. When the nurse spoke, you fixated your gaze onto her.

“Your Grandfather is being moved to the intensive care unit. In about 30 minutes we will let you go see him,” the nurse clarified. You blinked to her words and after a few seconds of slow comprehension you nodded to show her that you understood.

“Here,” she stated and picked up the cup of water, “drink water to help yourself.” She placed the cup of water that was now room temperature into your hands, and you took a sip. It was only then that you realized how dry your throat had become. The cool water trickled down your esophagus waking your insides as you handed the cup back to the nurse.  A slight move of your leg jingled the janitor keys in your pocket before you felt your phone vibrate. You slowly pulled it out and at the site of Woozi’s name you shut your phone off completely.

 

 

Looking from outside of your Grandfather’s room, you observed the statistics to his heart beat jump with waves. The oxygen mask on his face fogged every time he exhaled, and you tried to hold back your tears. Suddenly, the thought of spending Christmas without him made you begin to sob uncontrollably. How could you have been so selfish to not realize that he could be gone tomorrow. You cried so much that another nurse stopped to comfort you. You dropped to the ground and covered your face with your hands. Pools of tears collected within your palms before rolling down your wrists and soaking into your janitor suit.

When you were finally able to pull yourself together you clasped the handle to the door and pushed it open. The sound of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter