Wait…Is It a Girl?

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You sat in a new Janitor closet and looked around. This new closet was much larger. You could literally fit a bed and sleep in there if you wanted to. You glanced at your watch that read 5pm as you stood up and hung your maroon bag on a silver hook.

“Sweeping again it is.”

Instead of the elevator, you walked up the stairs to the third floor in the building that you met Jeonghan. On the way up the stairs, you swept each step. When you got closer to the third floor you could hear the sound of music echoing through the halls. The third floor was definitely occupied that evening.

When you entered the hallway from the stairs, you began to bob your head to the music. Wherever it was coming from, whoever sang it; it was likeable. You were soon singing to it with your own twist, wrong words and all, while you swept the hall.

You swept five rooms on that floor in total and was proud of your work. After closing the door to the fifth room you locked it back up and continued to sweep the hall. A new song played and the beat that echoed was so catchy you began to dance, swinging the broom left and right. At one point, you used the broom handle as a microphone stand, tilting it back and forth as you performed in the empty hall.

When the sound of a door opened, the music boomed loudly into the halls. As if the music was trapped inside, the hall was now filled with the loud beat. You quickly composed yourself stopping midway in your dance and returned to sweeping properly. 

“I’m gonna go look for a new clock, I’ll be back.”

“Ok.”

A young man popped out of the room a few yards ahead of you. When he closed the door, the music became trapped again. You looked to see his dark hair plastered against his forehead while he tried to fix it, brushing it with his fingers. In response, you turned around to avoid him.

“Excuse me, are you the custodian here?” Hoshi asked assuming you would agree from your outfit. He stopped beside you making you look up at him. His hair was wet from sweat. He wore a dark blue tank that was loose around his body revealing his fit arms. His white shorts came to his knees matching two white sweat bands that were snugly fit around his wrists.  

“Um..did you need something?” you asked ignoring his question.

“Well…the clock in the dance room is dead. If you’re the janitor…I was just wondering if you knew where to get extra batteries.”

His voice was nice, but hoarse. Probably from a lack of water. Perhaps he was dancing with all that loud music coming from that room. You tried to think of how you could explain to him that you had no idea where extra batteries were. When nothing came out he spoke again.

“It’s ok if you can’t…I was just wondering…”

“I’ll find some.” You managed to say and turned around wondering where to get batteries. You tried to figure out what to do on your way back down to the janitor’s room. There had to be extra batteries in the closet, right? When you fumbled through the drawers and didn’t find anything you began to contemplate what to say to the guy. Or maybe…you could just never go back to the third floor?

The thought of being reported irked you. You couldn’t have your Grandpa getting bad reports and complaints about you. That’ll only extend your punishment and you knew your Grandfather too well. Searching through a pile of folded clear trash bags you saw a clock lying there still ticking and working. Picking it up you smiled and flipped it around only to realize that the batteries were screwed into the clock.

When you got back to the third floor he was standing there outside the room. The music was now on low as he leaned against the wall tapping his foot against the floor. His hands were in the pockets of his white shorts while his hair draped in front of his eyes. You had to admit to yourself, he looked kind of cool, just waiting there deep in his own thoughts.

Hoshi looked up when he noticed movement from the corner of his eyes. He observed your big suit and smiled when he noted how your hands disappeared underneath your sleeves every time your arms swung from your walk. He tried to remember if he had seen you before but there was nothing in his memory that made you familiar to him. He pushed himself away from the wall and stood straight as you approached him.

You placed the clock in his hand and explained, “the batteries are screwed in…”

“Ah…it’s ok. Thank you so much.” Before you could say anything back, he added, “Isn’t that the outfit at Hansol’s play this summer?” When you didn’t respond he continued, “It’s cute on a girl. Are you a student here?”

“Soonyoung hurry, we have one more verse to practice,” a voice called from inside the room and then he appeared at the door. He noticed you and quickly nodded giving you a small greeting along with a smile.

Aw…she’s cute Chan thought to himself. He admired your long hair that was dark against your fair skin. Your brown eyes caught his attention m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter