Glamour

Lost Demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

RAVI'S POV

    I was running and there was smoke behind me and smoke in front of me, snaking into my mouth and nose, burning my eyes and muffling my hearing. I could still hear the raging crackling of flames, knew it was burning up behind me, trapping me. My heart beat wildly in my chest, thumping against my ribs painfully, and I struggled to see ahead of me. I could feel my fingertips scraping along damp stone walls on either side of me, feeling like the tunnel walls were closing in on me. 
    My feet were bare and they pounded against an uneven stone floor, scraping the soles of my feet. The fire was closing in and I cast a look behind me, trying to see past the consuming darkness that was all around me. Panic drummed my pulse up and made my breaths ragged, drawing in long lungfuls of smoke and making me cough over and over. 
    My legs burned and every time I thought about stopping, I could feel hot sparks on my back and searing heat on my neck. There were sudden footsteps behind me, crashing after me, and I knew instinctively I was being hunted. 
    I slipped to the side and cried out when I felt my feet swept out from underneath me, sending me tumbling along the rough stone. It dug into my arms and side, tearing through my shirt and making the rich scent of blood hit the air. I rolled several feet and then abruptly found myself sailing through emptiness. 
    I crashed down several moments later with a splash, my knees scraping over the rough bottom and dirty water filling my mouth. I coughed and spluttered, icy liquid closing over my back while I struggled to crawl through it on my stomach. My fingertips scrambled over the stone and I could feel the sensitive skin at the tips tearing and then healing itself even as I moved along. 
    There was a thick layer of sludge at the bottom of this underground aqueduct, and it at my knees and elbows, stirred up whenever I moved. Dirty water splashed into my mouth again, coating my tongue and gagging me.
    Sparks rained down over me and I could hear the footsteps running alongside of me, light filtering through the choking smoke to illuminate a figure next to me. I shrank back from the creature, taking in its wide fanged mouth and dancing eyes.
    The demon noticed me looking and smiled widely, showing off its double row of teeth with a hiss that made my skin crawl. The fire didn't bother it, but I could feel sweat gathering at my temples even though the water washed over me. 
    The bottom suddenly dropped out from under me and my face was forced under the water, my body swept along by the current. I was already short on air from the smoke and now my lungs were screaming for air, the taunting laughs of the demon cutting through the water and filling my ears. 
    My chin rose above the water and I gulped a breath that was half sludge, my feet tangling over my head and the water churning me over my side. I wrapped my arms over my head, water jetting up my nose and trickling down my throat. My back slammed into the bottom, the force knocking my arms back, and my head cracked into the stone next. 
    Dizziness spread through me and I stilled, floating passively just under the surface, letting myself be tossed back and forth. Blackness filtered through my brain and I gave in, sinking down deeper. 

    I awoke with a gasp, throwing my head up and struggling to breathe through my searing throat. There was congealed blood on the skin of my neck and I could feel it crack when I moved my head, trying to look around. My shoulders ached, my eyes looking to the right and finding my wrist wrapped in a thick chain. 
    The chain was sunk deeply into the wall next to me and there was a matching chain on my other wrist, supporting my hanging body like an animal strung up to gut. I struggled to heave my arm free, only succeeding in making my legs swing back and forth wildly. Agony flashed down my back, the muscles of my chest and shoulders pulled taut and to the point of tearing. 
    I grimaced, trying to get my bearings. I was in a simple room, rough stone on the walls, floor, and ceiling. There was a small table in front of me, shiny metal pieces lined up and gleaming up at me. There was a sconce burning next to the table, the fire reminding me of my desperate run through the tunnels. 
    There was a rusted metal door blocking the tunnel out of the room, a door that looked like an old-fashioned cell door. 
    "Hey!" I yelled, my voice rasping and cracking. "Is anybody there?!"
    The effort made my body swing and the chains pulled on my muscles, the weight of my own body dragging me down and making it hard for me to breathe. I gasped quietly in pain, my breath sobbing through my open mouth. 
    There was no answer and I hung there for what felt like centuries, each breath getting more and more difficult as my muscles contracted. My head lolled forward on my neck, the muscles along my spine being pulled the wrong way and then spreading numbing pain through my body until I was forced to lift my head back up. 
    Finally, the door swung open with a screech like a cat being strangled, and my eyes slowly opened. Magnus and Luc strode through the doors and I would have collapsed with relief if I could move. 
    "Magnus!" I gasped, tears gliding down my cheeks from pain and relief. He gave me a toothy smile, walking over to the small table and sliding one slender hand lovingly along the hilt of a dagger. 
    "Can you get me out of here?" I asked, watching him curl his fingers around the end of a length of barbed wire, lifting it up and considering it without looking at me. 
    "Magnus?" I said, quieter now and much softer. He finally looked up and his eyes were wrong, a burning red instead of gentle gold-green. 
    "Hush." Magnus crooned, stepping forward and wrapping the wire around my bare waist like a belt. He looked up and met my eyes when he pulled it taut, a sadistic smile curling his lips when it bit into my flesh. 
    I cried out, trying to look down and seeing the gleam of dark grey wire against my paler skin. Drops of red streamed towards the hem of my damp jeans, turning them black. Magnus giggled and the sound was sick, his fingertips hot on my ribs when he reached out and gave me a gentle push. The action lit my muscles on fire and I bit my lip before I could cry out again, feeling a long rivulet of blood cascade down my chin. 
    There was a soft flapping of wings and Luc rose up in the air, plucking a thin knife from the table and drifting up behind me. I could feel his arm around my neck, his body hovering just behind mine, his fingers sliding against the skin of my chin and rubbing blood between the tips wonderingly. 
    Luc's palm wrapped around my forehead and he yanked my head back, exposing my neck. The knife drew a quick line against the juncture of my shoulder and I jerked ever so slightly, feeling blood run warmly down my skin. 
    I shuddered when I felt something hot and wet lapping at my skin, trying to yank away from Luc's tongue as he gathered up my blood. He held me tightly, the point of the knife held tightly to the top of my windpipe, keeping me in place as he led at the gash. 
    "Enough, Drake." Magnus' voice broke in and I opened my eyes, looking down at him. Luc or Drake obediently released me, my skin beginning to seal itself as he took his place next to Magnus. 
    I looked hard at Magnus, focusing on the slight shimmer of incongruity around his face and body, clinging to him like poorly wrapped paper. My eyes sparked red and I looked with wolf's eyes, seeing someone completely different standing before me. 
    "You're not Magnus." I gasped through gritted teeth, trying to flex my shaking biceps to haul myself up high enough to take a decent breath. 
    "Very good." 'Magnus' said, his voice deepening to grating stones and punishing my ears with its volume. 
    "Who are you? Both of you?" I hissed. Drake's wings faded from Luc's feathered ones to the great wings of a black bat, his face becoming much narrower and his teeth elongating. 
    "I am Pyro." The man pretending to be Magnus smiled, dropping his glamour and taking a grand bow. I recoiled from him, already scenting the rotting smell of a vampire rolling off of Drake.
    "What are you doing with me?" I growled, my breath panting hars

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter