50

Lost Demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOUNGMIN'S POV

    The room was unbearably still. Ravi hadn't moved in hours, curled up around Leo as tightly as possible. I could tell by the occasional whimpers that escaped his throat that he wasn't asleep, but he was still as stone. The book lay silently on the floor where Ravi had dropped it many minutes ago, the fanned out pages frozen in time. Even the air felt motionless and stale, suffocating me slowly.
    But I wouldn't leave Ravi alone. I refused to disturb this sacred, miserable silence, so I stayed quietly in my chair and didn't move a muscle. The shadows on the wall dimmed and then lengthened, and my back soon grew stiff. My eyelids drooped and I blinked away the gritty feeling of my burning eyes, shifting ever so slightly in the chair. 
    As though my movement had woken the world again, Magnus came in silently to beckon me out of the pitch black room. 
    "Let's leave them." Magnus suggested quietly, closing the door softly and leading me to the kitchen. I nodded numbly, letting him guide me into an overstuffed armchair and drape a blanket across my lap. 
    "Are you okay?" Magnus asked. I nodded mechanically and he sighed deeply, resting his hand on my shoulder before stepping away. 
    "Get some sleep." Magnus murmured gently, padding away to walk quietly into the room I had just left. The door swung shut behind him with a soft thump and I sighed, curling up and closing my eyes. 

RAVI'S POV

    I tightened my hold on Leo when I heard the door close, keeping my eyes shut tightly. Magnus settled himself easily onto the chair by the bed, and opened a large tome he had brought with him. His presence was comforting in a way, from the soft rustling of the pages to the scent of ink and old paper that wound through the room. He didn't say a word, leaving me alone but not alone. 
    Finally, I opened my eyes and looked up at Leo's face. He was relaxed, his eyes closed peacefully, the dark lines of his lashes fanning along his cheekbones. The only movement in his face came from the soft flickering of lamplight shimmering over the slender ring in his lip. I reached up slowly, my chest hollow as I carefully unclasped the ring and returned my hand to my side, curling my fingers tightly around the delicate silver object. 
    I didn't feel sad like I had when Yongguk died. I wasn't angry. I was...nothing. Empty. Hollowed out. Void. 
    I was sure the grief would come later, but I could wait. So instead I curled my arms tighter around Leo, squeezed him once in a gentle hug, and then kissed his forehead. I stood, untangling myself from the bed and taking a moment to sigh. 
    "I'm going out. Don't move him." I murmured to Magnus. Magnus nodded once, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a wallet.
    "Here. Don't stay out all night." Magnus encouraged, pulling me forward to clip the wallet's chain to my front belt loop and tuck the wallet into my back pocket. 
    "Thanks." I murmured. Magnus nodded, waving me on, and I trudged out to the living room. 
    I hovered over Youngmin sleeping in an armchair, smoothing her hair out of her face and kissing her once softly. I slid on my converse and a jacket, closing the front door behind me quietly. The night air caressed my face and I checked my phone, reading the time. 
    1:45 am. I could stay out all night, nothing was stopping me, but I didn't want to be away from Youngmin when she woke up. 
    I set an alarm on my phone for 4:30 am and then stuffed it into my pocket, wandering around town. My feet carried me back to the park but I turned away from it sharply, instead finding myself standing in front of the orchid I had left on the ground so long ago. Had it really been just a day? Half a day? It felt like forever.
    I kneeled down, picking up the delicate flower and tracing the petals with my fingertips. A faint dusting of golden pollen coated my fingers and I wiped my hands on my jeans, tucking the orchid under my arm. 
    I began to walk again, keeping Leo's ring clasped firmly in my hand so I didn't lose it. The only places open at this hour were bars and tattoo parlors, and I wandering aimlessly towards the Devil's Den. Maybe the pack would be there. 
    Before I reached the Den, its bright sign winking a couple yards away, I stopped in front of a tattoo parlor. Advertisements for piercings lined the windows, and I leaned in to inspect the types they offered. Straightening up, I ran my fingertips over the ring in my pocket thoughtfully, then reached out and opened the door. 
    The bell above the door jangled dully, and a muscled tattooed man behind the counter looked up at me. I nodded to him and walked over to the counter, my hands in my pockets as I looked around. 
    "What can I do ya for?" He asked gruffly, a small smile tracing his lips despite his tone. His name tag said Joe, and I reached out to shake his hand. 
    "Can I get a spider bite?" I asked quietly. He nodded, reaching below to grab a clipboard, pen, and a sheet of paper. 
    "Sure you can. Just need you to fill out this paper and we can get started." Joe said, sliding the clipboard over to me. I nodded, clicking the pen and hurriedly scribbling answers to the questions. 
    "Can I get one hole pierced with a ring I already have?" I asked as I scooted the clipboard over. Joe nodded, and then beckoned me towards a small case of loops. 
    "Yup. Just pick out what you want the other one to be, and we can get started." Joe said, waving one large hand over the case. I nodded and he started pulling tools out of the back, cleaning them thoroughly. 
    I lingered over the loops, finally pulling out a slim black one to go with the silver loop in my pocket. I pointed it out to Joe and he nodded, getting one from the back and then beckoning me through a small door. 
    I found myself in a clean, tidy room not unlike a doctor's exam room. There was a padded chair stuck permanently in a reclined position in the center of the room, and Joe instructed me to sit in it. 
    "Now, show me where you want them done." Joe said, holding up a mirror and a sharpie for me.
    I pointed to the left side of my mouth and Joe nodded, drawing two quick dots in sharpie and then double-checking the location. I nodded and he positioned my head back, instructing me to close my eyes. 
    I obeyed, waiting patiently until I felt a small pinch in my lip. A second one soon followed, and I was surprised when Joe patted my shoulder and helped me up. 
    "All done." Joe announced cheerfully. I had expected it to hurt more or at least take longer, but when I looked in the mirror, I saw two loops pierced easily through my bottom lip. 
    "Thanks." I said, making my way back over to the counter. I paid for the piercing and Joe pulled out two large bottles and set them on the counter. 
    "Now, lip piercings are a when they start to heal. Starting in about eight hours, it's gonna swell up and get kinda nasty for a few days, but then the swelling should be down and you'll be all good. Clean around them with this stuff on a cotton ball every day, twice a day." Joe instructed, patting a bottle next to him. He placed his hand on the second bottle, pushing it towards me. 
    "Rinse your mouth out with this twice a day too, it's mouthwash. Try not to touch the loops, and for god's sake, don't bite them while you're eating. In about six months, you can change the loops and everything." Joe said. I nodded, taking the two bottles and juggling them around with my orchid.
    "Thanks." I said. Joe nodded, pulling out a plastic bag to put my bottles in and then handing them back to me. 
    "Be sure to come back any time." Joe smiled. I nodded, turning to walk back outside. The b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter