Plates

Lost Demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4
    Later that night, the rain had started pouring down in earnest. Ravi and I were eating a pot roast dinner together at the dining table, watching the rain shoot down like bullets through the big picture window. After a particularly loud crack of thunder, Ravi whimpered and placed his hands over his ears. 
    At that moment, loud knocking sounded at the front door. I looked up, Ravi following me as I stood and walked to the front door. I started to open it, but Ravi stepped in front of me, pushing me behind him protectively. 
    "Noona! Can you help us with—whoa." The boy at the door stopped, his voice trailing off as he looked Ravi up and down. 
    "Hello." Zelo said, bowing hastily towards Ravi. "Is Youngmin-noona here?"
    "Hurry up, Zelo! This box is heavy~" another boy complained from behind Zelo. 
    "Shut up, Hyuk!" Zelo hissed, trying to look around Ravi. I tapped Ravi's shoulder, letting him know it was okay, and stepped in front of him. 
    "Come on in, boys. It's cold outside." I smiled, stepping back. Zelo smiled at me, ducking inside carrying a box. Hyuk followed, also carrying a box, and Jongup followed with car keys. 
    "What have you got there?" I asked, watching the soaking wet boys remove their shoes and carry the boxes to the kitchen. Ravi hung back uncertainly, peering at the boxes curiously. I admit he looked adorable, with his tousled hair and his hands stuffed in the pockets of his baggy black pants.
    "We found them by the side of the road." Jongup said softly. Zelo lifted the blanket covering one of the boxes, revealing a wriggling black puppy. 
    "Omo!" I exclaimed, looking at the cute little puppy. It was tiny, it's eyes barely open, snuffling and whimpering. Hyuk had an identical puppy in his box, cuddled in along with a blanket. 
    "Noona, can you take care of them for the night?" Hyuk asked, blinking up at me with his cutest expression. 
    "Alright, Hyukkie." I smiled, patting his head. He smiled at me, looking down at the puppies.  
    "Thank you, noona!" Hyuk smiled, giving me a hug before turning around to rejoin the other boys. 
    "We better get home or umma will be mad." Zelo said. Hyuk and Jongup nodded, all of them filing out the door with more hugs. 
    Jongup was back a minute later to collect his shoes, his socks now soaked through from walking out in the rain, and I rolled my eyes. 
    "And he's the one driving." I sighed to myself after I closed the door, turning to the boxes.  I was then met with the cutest thing I have perhaps ever seen. 
    Ravi had wrapped both puppies in a blanket and now he sat on the kitchen floor, his back leaning against one of the cabinets, snuggling the puppies to his chest. Every now and then one of the puppies would whimper or squeal and Ravi would make clicking noises with his mouth while gently rocking them until they were quiet again. His cheeks were flushed and his eyes sparkled over excitement at having new friends to play with, and he focused on the puppies much like a mother bear watches her cubs. 
    "They're cute, aren't they?" I smiled, kneeling by Ravi and petting one of the puppies gently. Ravi looked up at me for a second, his wide child-like eyes watching me, and he nodded. 
    "Cute." Ravi rasped, smiling down at the puppies. I grasped his shoulders, pulling him carefully to his feet, and led him to the couch. 
    "Relax here, I'll get them some food." I said, walking out to the pantry. Luckily, I had some powder mix the vet clinic used to make food for newborn puppies, and I prepared the formula quickly. 
    Walking back out, I handed one bottle to Ravi and took one of the puppies for myself. Wrapping it up in a second blanket and holding it to my chest, I put the bottle by the puppy's mouth. The puppy started immediately, and Ravi caught on, doing the same with his puppy. 
    We stayed like this in silence for a few minutes, before I asked a question that I had been wondering about. 
    "Ravi, would you like to go to school with me?" I asked. Ravi looked over at me in surprise, and tilted his head to the side. 
    "What do you mean?" Ravi asked. I shrugged, shifting the puppy so it was more comfortable. 
    "Well, you'd be able to get more used to being around people. I'd be right there if you needed me, and you wouldn't have to stay here alone all day. Besides, you're a genius with math." I said. Ravi nodded slowly, finally allowing a small smile to creep onto his face. 
    "Okay. I'll go to school with you tomorrow." Ravi said. I smiled, pointing out that we didn't have school tomorrow because it was Sunday, but he was welcome to come on Monday. 
    "Sounds good." I said. Ravi nodded, snuggling up with his puppy and dozing off quickly. 
    I looked over at his flushed face, with his mouth hanging open slightly, and at the puppy asleep on him. I smiled softly, wondering how he would react to the real world. 


     "What about Wonseok?" I said out loud, looking over at Ravi. He shook his head, holding the puppy tightly to his chest. We were sitting in my living room the next afternoon, flipping through baby name books. Ravi needed an official name to register at school, and we had already picked out Kim for the family name and Won for the first syllable, but we were having trouble finding an ending to agree on. 
    "Wonbin?" I asked, looking over. Ravi shook his head, paging through his own book of names. 
    "Wonsoo?" I said. Ravi shook his head. 
    "Wonyoung?" Ravi shook his head. 
     "Wonsung?" Ravi shook his head.
    "Wonwon?" I finally exclaimed, running out of names. Ravi snickered next to me quietly, then slid his book over in front of me. 
    "Wonshik." Ravi said quietly, pointing to the name. I smiled, saying it out loud to test it. 
    "Kim Wonshik." I tried. I smiled, liking the way it felt in my mouth, and nodded. 
    "Kim Wonshik it is! Congratulations! What do you want me to call you?" I asked, expecting him to say Wonshik now that we finally had another name for him. 
    "You can call me Ravi." Ravi said shyly, looking at me from under his lashes. I tilted my head to the side, confused, and he cleared his throat. 
    "Before, when someone called for Ravi, it meant I was going to be beaten." Ravi said,  speaking slowly to not irritate his throat. 
    "I grew to hate the name, and everything it meant. But ever since I came here, to you, you've only said my name with kindness. I've learned it's not the name I hated, it's the person who said it, and that I definitely don't hate you." Ravi said, his low voice sounding much better in the past few days. 
    "So...you can call me Ravi." Ravi finished, looking at the floor timidly. I smiled at him, leaning forward to hug him tightly. 
    "That is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me." I whispered in his ear, pulling back. He gave me a look that said he was judging me, and he said the next few words in a joking tone. 
    "The guy you basically adopted told you that you don't remind him of the person who used to beat him, and that is the sweetest thing you've ever heard? You really need to get out more." Ravi said, giving me a smirk. I gaped at him, my mouth falling open, and he immediately flinched and dropped his head. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter