Blood

Lost Demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOUNGMIN'S POV

    Tao was struggling for breath, and more blood trickled from his mouth. I pulled off my shirt, leaving my camisole on, and pressed the balled-up cloth to Tao's stomach. His hands were slippery with crimson and he coughed more blood, his eyes finding mine and holding them. My heart wrenched at the fear in his eyes, and I pressed more firmly on his stomach. 
    "Xiumin, watch for more activity. Yixing, go help Youngmin." Kris said, a note of panic in his voice.
    I could hear Yixing crawling through the broken glass, looking up gratefully when his hands wrapped around my own. 
    "Tao, you're going to be fine. Just breathe." Yixing commanded. Tao took a stuttering breath and his arms spasmed, one of his hands locking around my wrist. His fingers smeared more red up my arm and I nodded down at him, biting my lip when my shirt became soaked with blood. 
    "Kris, he needs a transfusion." Yixing said calmly. Chen half-stood, pulling out his phone and putting it to his ear. 
    "How many?" Kris asked, trying to stay calm. Yixing hesitated for a moment, tossing my dripping shirt away and tearing off his own. 
    "Three, at least." Yixing said, pressing his shirt to the wound. He turned to me, motioning me forward.    
    "Luhan, I need gauze." Yixing said. I heard Luhan rifling around in bags, and then a plastic bag of cotton balls flew over next to Yixing. 
    "That's all we've got!" Luhan said. Yixing nodded, holding the shirt in place with one hand and using his teeth to tear open the package. 
    "Youngmin, I need you to help me. We need to pack the edges of the wound so I can see to remove the bullet." Yixing said, looking up at me levelly. I nodded, pressing the shirt in place while Yixing carefully started stuffing cotton balls into the wound. 
    They were soaked almost immediately, but Yixing kept packing until the blood wasn't flowing quite as fast. 
    "Hand me one of the emei, please." Yixing said, holding his hand out. I removed it from my boot with shaking fingers, placing the slender metal piece in his palm.
    Yixing pulled out a few of the cotton balls, quickly dipping the emei down and inserting it into the bullet hole. Tao yelled and I draped my forearm across his chest, holding him down so he couldn't hurt himself. 
    Yixing worked quickly, blood flooding over his hands, and finally dug out a long bullet. He dropped it on the floor, packing the hole with more cotton. 
    "I'll do the rest." I said confidently. Yixing nodded and I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. 
    I moved through the bullet wound, examining the torn paths the blood was taking. I slowly started to piece them together, connecting veins and muscles, healing the torn artery the bullet had hit. There wasn't enough blood moving through Tao's body and I could feel his heart stutter. 
    All of the internal damage was healed when I opened my eyes, but the wound was still losing blood. The skin and muscle was torn, and I felt Tao's heart stutter again. His eyes were closed, and I looked up when a knock came from the door. 
    "Kris, cover me." Chen requested, crawling towards the door and opening it quickly. A bag of clear fluid and four bags of red fluid were sitting in front of the door, along with a thin tube. 
    Chen carefully picked up the blood and the other bag, placing it next to Yixing and then backing off. I started to close my eyes to heal the rest of Tao's wound, but I felt a plunging wave of dizziness and knew I couldn't. 
    Yixing unwrapped the butterfly needle at the end of the tube, inserting it into the large vein at Tao's elbow. Yixing attached the tube to the bag of clear fluid, opening a clamp in the tube so the clear fluid starting tracing through the tube. 
    "Here, hold the saline up here." Yixing said, holding the bag above his head. I reached out, taking it from him, and Yixing kept pressure on the wound. 
    "Xiumin, I need my kit thingy!" Yixing called. 
    "Do you not see me holding a gun and covering two people?!" Xiumin yelled back, poking his head out from the couch. 
    "We're probably fine." Kris said. Despite this, nobody moved from cover, and Xiumin kicked a small bag until it slid over by Yixing. 
    Yixing grabbed it, opening it and pulling out a needle and thread. He reached out absentmindedly, turning the clamp to cut off the saline and quickly twisting off the connection to the saline bag. Yixing connected the first bag of blood and then flicked the clamp, motioning for me to put the saline down and hold the blood. 
    "Shouldn't you watch for a transfusion reaction?" I asked, my shoulder starting to ache from holding the bag above my head. 
    "We don't get those." Yixing said, beginning to sew up the rest of Tao's wound. I watched the blood slowly run into Tao's body, closing my eyes to check. 
    His heart still stuttered, but the veins in his body were stronger. There was more blood, and his body was accepting it. 
    "Alright, I'm going to switch bags." Yixing said, looking at my almost empty bag. The moment the last of the blood transferred to the tube, Yixing hooked the end of the tube to a second bag. 
    "Have you done this a lot?" I asked, surprised despite myself. Yixing chuckled, bending down to check the stitches. He reached inside his bag, pulling out a roll of gauze. 
    "Found the gauze, idiots." Yixing said, but there was no sting in his words. I could tell he was relieved that Tao would be alright, and he started wrapping Tao's abdomen carefully. The bullet wound was just under Tao's solar plexus, and he was lucky it didn't hit his liver. 
    "Alright, I'm calling the room safe." Kris said, standing up. He sidled quickly to the windows, pulling the drapes closed so the room wasn't visible to anyone outside. 
    "What kind of bullet was it?" Chen asked, standing up. Yixing picked it up, handing it over to Chen, who scanned it and frowned. 
    "What?" Kris asked. I looked over, switching which hand I used to hold the bag when I felt my arm start to go numb, and frowned. 
    "It's a rifle bullet." Chen started. 
    "That's not that weird. That's what we expected." Luhan said, sitting up. Chen shook his head, offering the bullet in his open palm to Kris. 
    "This bullet was modified." Kris said, inspecting the slender bullet. "It had wolfsbane in it."
    "That doesn't make sense. Wolfsbane doesn't affect us, so why would the shooter use it?" Luhan said.    
    "What's wolfsbane?" I asked, frowning. It didn't sound fun, but from what I knew, these men weren't wolves.  
    "It's used to kill werewolves. It deactivates their healing abilities and poisons their blood stream." Kris said. 
    "But you guys aren't—oh god." I interrupted myself, remembering suddenly that there was someone wolfsbane would affect. 
    "Ravi." Yixing said, shaking Ravi's shoulder. He was laying a few feet behind me, his eyes closed. 
    "Ravi. Yah, get up." Yixing said, reaching to feel for a pulse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter