Alana

Lost Demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOUNGMIN'S POV

    I watched Ravi sweep past me, slamming the door so hard the frame of the house shook. I sighed and closed my open mouth, bending down tiredly to pick up my keys and drop them on the coffee table. Leo was asleep on the couch and I tucked the blanket higher around his shoulders, touching his forehead worriedly. 
    His skin was too hot and I walked slowly to the kitchen, filling a cup of water and propping him up on the couch. Leo made a sleepy noise of protest and I tipped his head back carefully, pouring the water down his throat. He swallowed quickly, small beads of water overflowing from the cup and running down his chin. 
    "What am I going to do with you two?" I whispered, setting the empty cup down and easing Leo back onto the couch. He mumbled tiredly and his side, his eyes firmly shut. I brushed his hair back out of his eyes and carried the cup to the kitchen, 
    I dug through the cabinets blankly, pulling out a can of soup and opening it numbly. I watched the solid chunk of flavoring slide sluggishly out into the pan with a thunk and then ran water over the top, idly chopping at it with a spoon. I slid it over the stove and the heat, sitting on a stool and resting my feet on the bar at the bottom. 
    Ravi was falling apart. Leo was falling apart. And me? I was desperately trying to keep it all together...and I was failing miserably. I dug around in my pocket and found the phone sitting there, pulling it out to look at it disgustedly. 
    This was the reason I hadn't been here. Ravi broke my old phone and I had used my time in town to buy a new one, and then I gave my number to Magnus. The extra two hours would apparently have been better spent here, but how was I supposed to know that? Ravi didn't need to yell at me. 
    The soup started boiling over and I looked at it, finally rousing myself and picking up the pot. I looked down distastefully at the lumpy grey liquid, turning and tossing the pan into the sink with a clatter. Soup splattered up on the counter and I ignored it, instead digging through my cabinets. 
    Two eggs, a bottle of vanilla extract, flour, sugar, salt, and butter soon sat in front of me. I grabbed the butter and greased two baking pans, setting the oven to 400° Fahrenheit and turning back to the other ingredients.     
    The eggs were cracked carefully over the sink, creating a small hole in the shell so I could separate the white from the yolk. The yolks and shells went into the trash, but I stirred the whites carefully with a small drop of vanilla. A quarter cup of flour and sugar each went into a separate bowl along with a pinch of salt, and I blended those together carefully. The dry mix went in with the eggs and I stirred it together gently. 
    An extra pinch of ground ginger and cinnamon added some flavor, and I spooned small circles of batter onto the cookie sheets. Sliding them into the oven carefully, I set the timer for five minutes and sat idly in the corner of the counter. 
    My legs swung in circles beneath me and I sighed, running my hands through my hair. If Wandering Angels here supposed to remember their original name, did that mean Ravi was really originally Kim Wonshik? If that was true, it would probably be easier to find out how he died. What about Leo? Could I get him to remember?
    The timer beeped and I hopped off the counter, carefully pulling the trays out of the oven and setting them on the counter. I slid the thin cookies off the trays with a spatula and laid them out on a plate, dusting off my hands and turning off the oven. I was about to turn to take them outside and look for Ravi when my phone rang. 
    "Hello?" I asked, setting the plate down and frowning. 
    "Youngmin, I think I might have found something!" Magnus' excited voice crackled over the line and my eyes widened. 
    "What is it?" I asked.
    "I need you to come over in about an hour or so, okay?" Magnus said instead. I checked the clock, surprised it was already 10 at night, and nodded. 
    "Alright. I'll be there at eleven." I promised. 
    "Excellent." Magnus said. I was about to hang up when he broke in, stilling my finger. "Wait, you don't mind demons, do you?"
    "Uhhh...what kind of demons?" I asked warily. 
    "Um...the demon kind?" Magnus said quite unhelpfully. I huffed softly and rolled my eyes, nodding again. 
    "Fine. I'll be there." I sighed. 
    "Excellent." Magnus repeated. The line went dead and I sighed, turning back to my plate of faintly steaming cookies. 
    I set that plate aside, wrapping it with cloth to keep it warm and heating the oven again. Half an hour later, I had three large batches of cookies wrapped up in a neat package. I filled a thermos with coffee to the brim and fitted everything neatly in a picnic basket with a soft blanket. 
    "Leo, stay here." I said to his sleeping form, patting his shoulder for good measure and walking out the front door quietly. 
    I shivered in the night air, feeling little prickles of moisture on my cheeks from the fog in the air and trying to be quiet as my rain boots their way through the mud. They flapped loosely around my calves and I walked towards the trees behind the house, Ravi's heavy parka slung over my shoulder. 
    I crunched my way through a crisp layer of dead leaves, the trees rustling around me and whispering secrets to each other. I finally found Ravi curled up in a tiny ball, his clothes damp with dew and clinging to his shivering form. He was asleep, his lips tinged faintly blue and goosebumps prickling along the bare skin of his arms. 
    "Silly boy." I whispered to myself, dropping to my knees in the soft leaves and setting the basket down next to me. I wrapped the parka around him tightly, layering the thick blanket on over it and hoping it was enough to keep him warm. 
    I left the basket full of warm cookies and hot coffee in front of his head, knowing he would see it when he woke up. He wasn't ready to be home yet, but that didn't mean he shouldn't eat. 
    I checked my watch and rose with a groan, realizing I only had about ten minutes to get to Magnus'. I jogged quickly back to the house, my heavy boots pulling my feet down as I grabbed my phone and keys and locked the door firmly behind me. 
    Finding a parking space this late at night was easy, and I slid smoothly into a gap right in front of Magnus' house. Bounding up his front steps, I let myself in with the key he had given me and immediately covered my nose at the foul smell leaking from his study. 
    "Youngmin?" Magnus called. 
    "Yeah?" I answered warily, setting down my bag and walking towards his study. What I saw made me pause in the doorway. 
    Magnus was sitting cross-legged on top of his desk, a brilliant magenta robe billowing out around his black silk pants and contrasting quite stunningly. A book was spread in his lap and he leafed through the pages idly. But Magnus—however strangely dressed he was—was not the object of my fascination. The woman in the middle of the room was. 
    She was standing in the middle of a large drawing on the floor, surrounded by dimly glowing black candles. Her red hair was thick and beautiful, cascading like a mane d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter