Back

Lost Demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

RAVI'S POV

    "Are you sure you know what you're doing?" I asked anxiously, rocking on the edge of the couch with my arms draped across my lap. 
    "Ravi." Magnus' voice was a warning and I knew he was probably tired of hearing the same question over and over again, but I couldn't help it. 
    "I'm sorry, I just—" A hand on my knee stopped me and I looked at Kris sitting next to me on the couch, Tao leaning against my other side. 
    "They know what they're doing. Talking could distract them." Kris said quietly in my ear. I nod, sitting back and fixing my eyes on Luc and Magnus in front of us. 
    They had pulled the small decorative carpet aside, exposing the wooden floor, and Luc was using a thin dagger to scratch a large circle into the floor. Everyone else was safely in the other suite, doors locked in case anything went wrong. 
    "Are you sure you don't need Iri?" I asked, unable to keep my mouth shut for more than two minutes. 
    "He's too weak." Magnus said, busy crouched down to help crisscross lines through Luc's circle. 
    "He can't summon." Luc added, digging through Magnus' bag to pull out black candles and begin placing them around the circle. 
    Magnus started carving symbols around the circle and I recognized the pentagram for what it was. Magnus stepped back, pulling out a small bag of white powder and pouring it into his hand. Turning his fist to the side and walking around the circle, Magnus dropped a thin line of white around the black candles. 
    "We're going to start now. Ravi, you really can't talk no matter what. If you distract us, we could easily lose control and summon something else. Something nasty." Magnus warned. 
    "Okay." I said, meeting his eyes firmly. Magnus nodded, turning to pull his many rings off and set them down on the table with small muted clatters. 
    Luc shrugged off his jacket and then his t-shirt, giving his compressed wings room to stretch. He turned his back to me, standing between the two bottom points of the stars while Magnus stood at the top. 
    Luc began to chant, rough and low, in a language that sounded like flames crackling. Magnus soon joined him, his normally smooth voice foreign and rumbling. The scent of magic filled the air, burnt sugar and electricity, and my nose prickled. 
    The slender knife that Luc had used to carve the pentagram was back in his hand, and Luc pressed the blade into his palm. He drew it towards him quickly, blood dripping from his hand into the center of the symbol. Magnus took the knife from him, making a generous cut along his forearm. 
    More blood dripped into the center of the star and the scent of it hit me, heavy and thick. Magnus and Luc's chanting got more intense, the hairs on the back of my neck prickling at the electricity in the room. Blue sparks rained down from Magnus' palms and Luc's hands streamed fire, the edges of the pentagram lit up in gold and blue. 
    With a pop, the black candles burst into gold and blue flames. The air was getting heavier and hot, sweat glistening on Luc's back. I shifted on the couch, watching a small black shape become apparent in the center of the pentagram. More blood dripped from Luc and Magnus, sizzling when it struck the center of the symbol. 
    The flames rose higher, consuming the pentagram and stretching up towards the ceiling in a pillar of blue and gold. Magnus was hidden from sight by the fire, the muscles of Luc's back taut and his wings spread wide in front of me. Magnus and Luc stopped chanting abruptly, their arms raised high and showering sparks.  
    The heat was blistering now and I raised one arm to shield my face, a d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter