Wandering Angels

Lost Demon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOUNGMIN'S POV

    "No, no, no, your stance is wrong again!" Magnus scolded from his desk chair. I sighed heavily and looked over at him, frowning. 
    "We've been doing this for three hours! My stance is wrong because my body hurts!" I shot back. Magnus snapped his fingers warningly and I closed my mouth, watching as he stood. 
    "You need to build endurance." Magnus said, pausing next to me. He bent down, manipulating my left leg so my knee was bent more in front of me. 
    "Keep that knee bent." Magnus muttered. "And keep your back leg straight." 
    I obediently shifted my back leg so it was straighter, tightening my spine when Magnus placed his hand on the small of my back. 
    "Is this some kind of martial arts stance or something?" I asked, keeping my fists perched firmly on the curve of my hips. 
    "If you must know, yes. You need a strong stance to keep control on the situation and stay on your feet." Magnus intoned, pressing down on my shoulders until my flexed thighs burned. 
    "It's been two days and all I've done is stand here." I complained, watching him return to his desk. Magnus ignored me, slouching back in his chair with a large book and crossing his bare feet on his desk. His indigo silk pants rustled when he shifted, contrasting with his silver shirt. 
    "You sure dress strangely." I remarked quietly, rolling my eyes when he didn't respond. I tried humming to keep myself entertained and got only a stern glare in reply. 
    "When do I actually get to try blood-control?" I asked after ten minutes of unbearable silence. Magnus sighed and held up the giant book he was holding, waving it around slightly. 
    "When you have read this, cover to cover, and taken notes on it." Magnus said, his numerous heavy rings winking in the dim light. I groaned and he gave me a calculating look that screamed 'watch your stance'. I corrected my sliding back foot and pouted at him. 
    "How long will that take?" I asked. Magnus slammed the book down on his desk with a puff of dust and stood with an irritated grumble, motioning for me to follow him. 
    "Sit here. Read this, and take notes. Then, come to me." Magnus said, pointing to his couch and handing me the tome and my notebook. 
    "Yes, sir." I saluted jokingly and Magnus his heel with a mutter. I settled down on the couch and opened the book, leafing through it until I found my bookmark. 
    I soon grew absorbed into the book, taking careful notes and reading the current passage. 

Mistresses can sense the blood flowing through the body of any living creature. The path of blood is connected by the feet to the earth through fey lines and tree roots. Mistresses use their hold on the earth to read the various lines and roots to manipulate their victim's body to their will. Increasing the force used will cause varying levels of pain experienced by the victim. 

    I frowned, my eyes flicking over the words. Victim? Pain? Did I really want to do this? It was for Ravi and Leo's sake, so I could protect them better. I wouldn't use these powers on anyone other than Mistress, so it was okay, right? 
    When I grew tired of blood-control, I looked over at the giant bookshelf next to me. I was sure Magnus would have books on summoning...maybe I could look at those. It would help me learn where Ravi and Leo came from, which was an intriguing thought in itself. 
    I stood and walked quietly over to the bookshelf, carefully reading the bindings and finding one that read Summoning. I pulled it out, cringing at the crinkling sliding noise it created, along with a puff of dust. 
    I hurried back to the couch and hurriedly opened the book, listening to the spine creak with age as I turned the pages. I began to flip through the pages, too engrossed in what I was doing to hear Magnus walk up next to me. 
    "Interesting book, isn't it?" Magnus asked, clearing his throat. I nodded distractedly, looking for any mention of mistresses. 
    "Didn't we agree I wouldn't teach you summoning?" Magnus asked. I looked over at him meekly, nodding and beginning to close the book. 
    "Sorry..." I said. Magnus shook his head, his long brown fingers preventing the book from closing as he flipped back to my previous page. 
    "What are you trying to learn?" Magnus asked. I shrugged, handing him the book and picking up my blood-control book. 
    "Where Ravi and Leo came from." I admitted quietly, watching Magnus when he stood suddenly and began pacing in front of me. 
    "They were summoned, yes?" Magnus said. I shook my head with a confused frown, Magnus pausing to look at me.  
    "No, I don't think so..." I said. Magnus shook his head, running his hands through his hair and leaving glittering blue sparks caught in the messy black spikes. 
    "Do they have any memory of their lives before Mistress?" Magnus asked. I shook my head, already having experienced Ravi's memories—lack of memories, that is. . 
    "No. Did she manipulate their memories or something?" I asked. Magnus shook his head again with a sad grimace. 
    "You can't manipulate something that never existed. God, I wasn't going to tell you all this...you have enough on your plate." Magnus grumbled to himself. 
    "Tell me." I commanded quietly. Magnus paced more in front of me, obviously struggling with himself. Finally he swore to himself and tugged on his hair again, turning to me. 
    "Ravi and Leo were not human, but they were not true demons either." Magnus said. I gave up on trying to follow what he was saying, instead waiting for him to start actually explaining things. 
    "Greater Mistresses summon demons, but your Mistress was not great yet. She would only have been able to summon spirits, and young spirits at that—spirits that were closer to earth. She called Leo and Ravi in from the void between our worlds and gave them human bodies and faint memories. Fake, fabricated memories." Magnus said. 
    "So...they weren't missing humans? They're spirits?" I whispered quietly. Magnus nodded, sitting down next to me somberly. 
    "What's more, there's only one kind of spirit that dwells this close to this world; the spirit of a child who died of tragic causes." Magnus said softly. His face had aged during our discussion, lines of melancholy tracing his mouth and heavy shadows around his eyes. 
    "So...Leo and Ravi are so close because..." I trailed off. Magnus finished my thought for me. 
    "Because, in a way, they grew up together." Magnus said. He sighed deeply, both of us staring at the floor.    
    "Is there a way to figure out who they were? How they—how they...died?" I whispered. Magnus nodded, standing up. 
    "I can probably find a way. But I don't know how much of this you want to tell to Ravi. You would turn his entire world upside down, in a time when he's already struggling." Magnus murmured. 
    "You're right...can you and I find it by ourselves?" I asked. Magnus nodded, handing me my blood-control book and rubbing his face tiredly. 
    "I'll see what I can do. You focus on this for now, okay?" Magnus said. I nodded obediently, opening the book and trying my best to concentrate. Magnus disappeared into his office, leaving me alone with my thoughts. 
    Ravi was dead? Leo was dead? But they were living with me, full of life and strength. How was Mistress strong enough to give a spirit new life? Could she call back that power if she wanted to; rob Leo and Ravi of life? 
    But if Ravi was a werewolf now, wouldn't that signify her lack of control over them now? She couldn't prevent their changes, why should she be able to kill them?
    "Magnus!" I called. "My own thoughts are tying me up in knots; I'm so confused."             Magnus came walking towards me obediently, holding a large book in his arms. I swear, this man had more books than anyone I'd ever met. 
    "Here." Magnus said. "They're called Wandering Angels." 
    "Wandering Angels?" I repeated. Magnus nodded his head, patting my shoulder and taking a step back. 
    "It's okay to be confused at first. Try reading this, it should clear up some confusion." Magnus said. I nodded, standing up and walking to the front door. 
    "Youngmin?" Magnus called. I turned, looking at him with confused eyes. He sighed, crossing his arms over his chest and deflating a little. 
    "Don't let this freak you out. Ravi and Leo are still the same people you knew before you learned where they came from. Try to focus on your blood-control." Magnus advised gently. I nodded, turning and all but running home. 
    Ravi and Leo were curled up together on the couch when I came in, and I looked down at them for a few minutes. They really did look like children when they were asleep; their faces relaxed and angelically innocent. I reached out with a quiet sigh, tucking the blanket hem tighter around their shoulders and going upstairs. 
    I settled on my bed with my laptop, searching Wandering Angels and scrolling through countless articles online. Most of them were completely ridiculous, but a few actually seemed believable. I leaned in closer, scanning through the paragraphs until they blurred together. 

In some cases, Wandering Angels have been found on earth. They're reportedly able to remember their previous name, although they don't know what it means, and remember how they died. The cause of death is hidden in their subconscious, and pressuring them to remember it could cause emotional and psychological trauma. 

Treat Wandering Angels gently, they are only children after all. They're known for their almost instant connection to the first person they encounter after escaping the void, and they will provide protection and loyalty to that person until their second death.  

Wandering Angels can only be killed by breaking their neck. Their bones are reinforced, as is thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter