Next Week

Business Engagement

"Next week?" Jessica and Jaejoong cried. They were called early in the morning to meet both parents at a nearby café. The two had no clue what was going on, but they had expected news relating to their marriage. Fortuntaely, they correctly identified which subject the parents would be talking about. However, they weren't prepared to hear the news they had just received.

Jessica rose from the seat and put her hands on the table. "B-But we can't possibly have a wedding ceremony in a week! That would be impossible!"

"Yeah! Don't we need a year or something?" Jaejoong asked. Jaejoong's mother shot him a glare as Mrs. Jung smiled.

"No, it doesn't take that long. In fact, someone else is going to have their wedding the same day as you two are," Mrs. Jung said. Jessica raised an eyebrow as she sat back down.

"Who?" 

Mr. Jung cleared his throat and slid a piece of paper near the two. "A lovely woman named Im Yoona and a handsome young man named Ok Taecyeon."

 

"Daddy, I don't want to marry Taecyeon! I want to marry someone else! Please understand!" Yoona cried. She was locked up in her room for the past few hours. After confessing her true wishes to her dad, her father was furious with her. Yoona desperately pounded her fist against the door, hoping to get her father's attention. She heard a loud, heartless laugh from the other side of the door.

"Now you want to change? After all that I've done for you? Sweetie, I'm preparing the most amazing wedding day of your life, my company is struggling because of what's been going on, and you want to selfishly change who you want to marry? Impossible!" her father yelled. Yoona groaned and slid her back against the door.

"You don't understand!" Yoona shouted back. "You never understood! This is probably why Mother ran away-"

Yoona gasped as she stumbled backwards. She looked up and found her father glaring at her with such hatred in his eyes. He stuck up his index finger and pointed rudely at his own daughter.

"Don't you dare talk about your mother that was. She was a much lovely woman that you ever were. She never ran away in the first place. She passed away-"

"I don't care! I don't care about the past anymore, Daddy! I want to marry another man! Even if his position is a secretary-"

Yoona's father snorted. "A secretary? How nice."

"You didn't even let me finish!" Yoona retorted. The door slammed on her face, and Yoona was knocking on the door again. Her fist was turning red and was throbbing in pain, but she pushed forward. "He is Mr. Kim's secretary! You know, Jaejoong? My ex-boyfriend?"

"So you want to get revenge on your boyfriend?"

"What? No, I really love Chang-"

"So you're playing with two hearts, am I right?" 

"No! No, you got it all wrong! I was trying to win Jaejoong back, but-"

"But you failed, and to get his attention, you wanted to get Changmin's-"

"Never! I would never toy around with anyone's heart!" Yoona screamed. There was a moment of silence between the two. Then, Yoona sat down and curled herself into a ball, resting her chin on her knee. "Changmin means everything to me. Yeah, this is a bit cheesy and awkward, but I really like him. I was going for Jaejoong, but later I found myself liking Changmin. I don't know when I had feelings for him, but I really like the boy. He treats me a lot better than Jaejoong does, and Jaejoong already has another woman he's going to marry with. Feelings are precious, Dad. Please understand that."

The long silence almost killed Yoona. Yoona bit her bottom lip, slowly reached her arm to the doorknob, and tried twisting it. The doorknob wouldn't budge. She heaved a sigh, and stood up. Leaning against the door, she hid her face under her hair and closed her eyes.

"I hope you were listening," Yoona whispered.

What she didn't know was that her father was right in front of her door, hearing her honest and touching words.

 

"Sir, there is a crazy teenage woman down here. She demands to meet you, but we're not sure if she's your relative or not," a woman from the speaker informed. Taecyeon heaved a sigh and pressed the red button the reply.

"Don't bring her in. In fact, why don't you call security and kick her out-"

"I HEARD THAT! OK TAECYEON, YOU ARE NOT GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!" a familiar, scratchy voice shouted. Taecyeon heaved a sigh and pressed the same red button again. He cleared his throat, fixed his tie, and glared at the microphone.

"SHUT UP, KRYSTAL! GET AWAY FROM THIS BUILDING! SERIOUSLY, IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY!" Taecyeon roared. He lifted his finger from the button and groaned. Ever since he had entered the building and tried to finish his work, Krystal would do nothing but find a way inside the building (he made a mental note to hire better guards) and demand to see him. Taecyeon glanced out the window and spotted Krystal being dragged out by two guards dressed in a black suit. He turned away from the window, knowing that Krystal would somehow enter the building. He turned to two old men, folded his hands and smiled. Though the men wanted to smile back, they were too shocked with what they had just witnessed.

"So…How are you two today?" Taecyeon asked as sweetly as he could.

 

"He won't listen!"

"Convince him more!"

"I'm telling you, Changmin! He has two body guards outside my room, and I can't escape through the window since this place is so tall! Curse this house for being too tall!" Yoona muttered. Changmin sighed quietly over the phone. After receiving the news that her father would not allow her to see another man except for Taecyeon, Changmin was obviously distressed. He rubbed his head with his two fingers and groaned.

"Won't he listen to you? Even for a second?" Changmin asked.

Yoona snorted. "As if. I tried to give him the most touching conversation, yet he still refuses to let me love who I want."

"Have you talked to Taecyeon yet?" 

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because…I'm afraid," Yoona confessed. "What if Taecyeon really loves me? What if he doesn't want to let me go? He's been good to me, and he's been the best arranged date I ever had."

"Correction: He's the only arranged date you ever had," Changmin said bitterly. 

"Shim Changmin, are you jealous?" Yoona asked teasingly. Changmin dropped his pen and froze. He gulped nervously and felt his cheeks heating up. His heart would not stop beating at the thought of him being jealous for Taecyeon. "Changmin? Changmin are you there?"

There was a moment of silence before Changmin replied. "And if I said that I was jealous?"

He could only imagine how red Yoona's face would be. Oh, how he desperately wanted to see her embarrassed expression! Changmin anxiously waited for Yoona's reply, feeling a bit embarrassed about his bold reply.

"C-Changmin…" Yoona stuttered. He chuckled and smiled brightly when hearing her reaction. 

"You stuttered. You're getting all shy now," he teased.

"N-No I didn't! I never stuttered!" she denied.

"You love me. I know you do," Changmin said, bursting into laughter.

"S-Shut up!" Yoona retorted. "Okay, yeah, I do love you, but still! Be quiet!"

Changmin laughed a little longer until he heard Yoona grunt. He smiled fondly at particularly nothing, but quickly frowned.

"But really, don't you feel like Taecyeon's been a bit too sweet?" Changmin asked. 

"What do you mean? Changmin, are you really that jealous?" Yoona questioned back.

"No, I mean… I think it's quite unusual for guys to treat someone they don't even love so…sweetly. I mean, you guys hardly know each other, yet you guys act like as if you've known each other for years. Think about it, Yoona. It's an arranged marriage, right? He must have some kind of grudge against you. Plus, if he really did love you, he would frequently call you, text you, or ask to go out with you. Don't you think it's a bit weird for him to just suddenly treat you like a princess when you're just a stranger?" Changmin explained. When he heard the awkward silence on the other line, he knew that Yoona was silently agreeing with him. 

"Actually, he's been a little quiet over the past few days," Yoona confessed. "I've heard he's been hanging around with Jessica a lot, but I thought it was just rumors."

Changmin snapped his fingers. "So maybe there's a possibility that he's just using you, right?"

"But what does Jessica have to do anything with Taecyeon?" 

"They did say that they looked quite familiar when they met, right? There must've been something going on between them in the past!" Changmin exclaimed.

"Then that would mean that I'm in the way and-" Yoona stopped for a moment. Changmin was about to say something until he heard Taecyeon's voice in the background.

"Oh, hey Yoona! Can we, er, talk? Or are you busy?" Taecyeon asked. His voice was faint, but it was quite clear. Changmin kept silent, and he heard Yoona's quick, short breaths.

"Oh, we can talk!" Yoona answered when she calmed down. "Hold up, let me say good bye to my friend." She turned back to Changmin and whispered, "Taecyeon's here, so I got to go. Bye!"

Changmin mouthed a "bye" as Yoona hung up. He stared at his phone, and sighed.  Suddenly, his phone rang and Changmin scrambled to pick it up. He scowled when he saw Krystal's name appear on his screen. 

What does she want now? Changmin wondered.