On Purpose

Business Engagement

After the group's meal arrived, everyone kept quiet. No one spoke a word. Krystal watched carefully, and Sulli tried to much on her food as quietly as she could. She wasn't used to the dull, gloomy air around her. She was always surrounded by happy-go-lucky friends, but the adults were too awkward with each other.

"I can't imagine them being loud," Sulli whispered. Krystal shrugged her shoulders.

"I knew there was something wrong, but I didn't think it was this bad! I want to find the person or thing that caused this. If I tracked the person or the thing down, then I can solve it. The problem is…I can't tell what's the cause of this huge mess," Krystal mumbled. Sulli sighed and poked her fork through the small meatball. Yoona, who was eating a small hamburger and fries, grabbed two fries and nibbled on them carefully. Suddenly, she frowned and opened to speak. She looked around for the salt and found the salt in front of Taecyeon.

"Hey Taecyeon, can you pass me the salt?" Yoona asked. Taecyeon looked up from his spaghetti and spotted the salt right in front of him. He was about to grab it until Changmin snatched it away. Taecyeon looked up and met Changmin's dark gaze.

"I need it," Changmin mumbled. Yoona frowned at him.

"You need salt for…a salad?" Yoona asked. Changmin glanced down at his meal, lightly blushed, and passed the salt onto Yoona.

"A-Ah…U-Um…Sorry, I just thought that I had something else for a second," Changmin stuttered, embarrassed. Yoona arched her eyebrow as she grabbed the salt from Changmin's hand. When her hand brushed against Changmin's hand, the two felt a sharp spark in their hearts. Yoona quickly snatched the salt away and brought her two hands together. Changmin blushed hard and covered his face with his hands as if he was exhausted. Krystal smirked.

"So…Anyone want to tell me who this guy us?" Krystal asked, glancing at Taecyeon. Taecyeon blinked his eyes at Krystal.

"…Do I know you?" he asked. Krystal examined Taecyeon and shook her head.

"I doubt we know each other. Your name?"

"Ok Taecyeon."

"Siblings?"

"I have none as far as I know."

"Current relationship status?"

"Um, single, but currently in a match-making session with Yoona. We're only getting to know each other, though. That's it. We haven't kissed or anything. Actually, we did hold hands, but that's just about it," Taecyeon confessed. Yoona smiled and turned to Krystal.

"You seem pretty interested in him, Krystal," Yoona teased. Krystal dropped .

"What? I do not! I was just asking him a few questions. As far as I know of, I have no clue who is he," Krystal replied. So Yoona is in a match-making session with Taecyeon, who is currently causing Changmin to feel upset. Then what happened to Jaejoong oppa and Unnie?

"Now let me ask you a few questions," Taecyeon said, finishing his fries. He rested his chin on the palm of his hand as he gave Krystal a long stare. "Name?"

"Call me Krystal."

"Is that your real name?" Taecyeon asked, frowning.

"No, but everyone calls me that. Moving on."

"Siblings?"

"I'm Jessica's younger sister," Krystal stated proudly. Jessica sank in her chair as Taecyeon's eyes widened.

"Really?" Taecyeon asked.

"Unfortunately, yes," Jessica mumbled.

"Wow. It must be nice having a sister. I wish I had a sibling. I heard that having a younger sister is better than having a younger brother," Taecyeon said, starting a conversation with Jessica.

"Hah! Whoever said that is lying. I'd rather have a brother or no siblings. We should switch our places one day." Jessica laughed.

"No way. You don't want to attend all these match-making sessions and work hours inside your father's building," Taecyeon said, grunting.

"If it's about match-making sessions, then I'm perfectly fine with it. I've been to several ever since I was young. Working inside an office building? I just need to take a glance at the schedule and bam! I'm done," Jessica proudly said, grinning.

"Seriously? Man, I wish I was like you. I would beg to switch lives with you. You're lucky. All you have to do is sit around and choose who you want to marry, right? Why don't we both marry each other in the future–"

"She's married to me," Jaejoong said loudly. Everyone stared at him, especially Jessica and Taecyeon. After a few minutes, Taecyeon let out a small chuckle.

"I was kidding, dude," Taecyeon said, "but you and Jessica? Really? I wouldn't have known such a thing. I mean, when I came here, I saw Jessica hanging out with Changmin."

Changmin froze as Jaejoong looked up and stared at his secretary. Changmin slowly glanced up and met Jaejoong's cold eyes. Jaejoong turned his head to face Jessica, who gave him a blank look.

"A-Ah…Boss, you have to understand. Jessica was the one who invited me and I didn't eat breakfast because I was spy– I mean, doing some stuff," Changmin stuttered nervously.

"You–"

"Jaejoong, stop it," Jessica interrupted. "I don't get why Changmin has to make an excuse for himself. You're the one who told me to eat with him. I did just that."

Jaejoong just stared at Jessica. "You really took me seriously?"

"Well you were giving me an attitude–"

"Oh, and the next thing that happens is that our arranged marriage is canceled–"

"If you keep on with this attitude of yours, then maybe it really will be canceled!" Jessica yelled, but quiet enough for only the group to hear. Everyone kept quiet. Sulli was shaking, Changmin and Yoona gave Jessica a wide-eyed stare, Taecyeon blinked his eyes, and Krystal just watched the scene carefully. Jaejoong was about to say something, but he stopped himself from raising his voice. He kept quiet until his knuckles turned white. Then, he threw his napkin on the table and got up.

"I'm done here," Jaejoong muttered. "If you want to cancel it, then be my guest."

Jessica clenched her fist as Jaejoong left the table. Her eyes started to water and her lips started to tremble a bit. Krystal stood up and motioned Sulli to stand up as well.

"Then Sulli and I will go first, too," Krystal said. "We're going to do some shopping."

Sulli's eyes widened. "But I'm not done eating yet–"

"Let's go!" Krystal replied, tugging Sulli away from the group. Taecyeon got up from his seat. Yoona followed his suit.

"Then we'll be going first," Taecyeon told them. He put a handful of cash that he thought would pay for the meal. "Thank you for your time."

As Taecyeon left, Yoona took one glance back at Changmin, who was staring at Jessica with sympathy. Yoona forced a smile, trying to encourage Jessica, even though she wasn't looking at her way. Then Yoona went out and met Taecyeon waiting for her in front of the café.

"So what are we going to do?" Yoona asked, skipping right besides Taecyeon. Taecyeon kept quiet as the two walked down the street. Yoona, too, kept quiet, waiting for Taecyeon to answer her question.

Then, after a few moments, Taecyeon murmured, "Yoona, I think we need to cancel our match-making session."

Yoona's heart skipped a beat. Her face lit up as she stared at Taecyeon with bright, hopeful eyes. "Really? Why?"

Taecyeon stopped, turned to Yoona, and gave her a bright, proud smile. "I think I'm in love."

"With who?" Taecyeon kept quiet. Yoona frowned. "With who? Seriously, I won't tell anyone! I promise!"

Finally, Taecyeon shyly rubbed the back of his neck as he avoided Yoona's cheery look. "I think I'm in love…with Jessica."

As Yoona's bright face slowly faded away, all she could think of was two words: Uh oh.

 

Krystal sat down on the curb, where Sulli was happily helping herself with ice cream. She glanced at Yoona and Taecyeon from afar, frowning and glaring at the two couple. Sulli turned to Krystal and gulped down a spoonful of chocolate ice cream.

"What're you staring at?" Sulli asked.

"Them," Krystal replied. Sulli glanced at the direction Krystal was looking at.

"What? Yoona and Taecyeon? What about them?" Sulli questioned. Krystal just sighed.

"I found out who's ruining everything," Krystal said.

"Who? Jaejoong? Yoona? Changmin?"

"Nope. None of them."

"Then who? Your own sister?"

Krystal shook her head as her eyes narrowed even more. "Nope. Taecyeon's making everything worse on purpose."