New Misunderstandings

Business Engagement

Anger boiled through Jaejoong's vein as he stepped on the pedal for more acceleration. How could Changmin just take Jessica away so easily? Why did Jessica look so enthusiastic when Changmin said something? He groaned as he chewed his bottom lips. He wished that the two spoke louder so that he could fully hear their conversation. All he got was a brief address of where Jessica and Changmin left to.

She's so dead when I see her, Jaejoong thought, his eyes cold and jealous.

 

Jessica shivered as she sat down near a stone bench. Changmin frowned at her and impatiently stared at Yoona, who was alone.

"Come on, Jessica! We have to go closer!" Changmin urged.

"Hold up, I need to calm down. Is it just me or did it just get cold?" Jessica asked. 

"It's just you."

"Huh…That probably means that Krystal is talking about me," Jessica mumbled. Changmin urgently glanced back at Yoona. She let out a heavy sigh as if she was tired of waiting for her match. He desperately wanted to jump in front of Yoona, talk to her, and give her a small hug of assurance. Changmin watched Yoona take out her phone from her purse and dial a number. He raised an eyebrow as Jessica's phone suddenly rang. Jessica glanced down at the caller and slightly widened her eyes.

"It's Yoona."

"Pick it up," Changmin whispered. Jessica hesitated.

"But what if Taecyeon is about to come? What if he's about to come, but he's waiting because Yoona is on the phone, talking to me–"

"Oh, give me that!" Changmin hissed. He snatched away Jessica's phone and quickly accepted the call. "This is Changmin speaking."

 

Yoona's eyes widened. Changmin? What's he doing with Jessica's phone?

"Wait, did I call the wrong number?" Yoona asked.

"Nope, this is Jessica's number. She's here. Well, she's gone for now–"

"What? What are you saying? I'm right here–"

"–S-She just went to the toilet. I, uh, didn't want her to have any missing call and make her feel guilty for not being able to pick up the call," Changmin said.

 

Changmin bit his tongue hard. He glared at Jessica, who was biting his hand as hard as she could. All he did was cover Jessica's loud mouth, but unfortunately Jessica wouldn't cooperate with him and had to bite his hand.

"Let go!" he hissed quietly. Jessica glared back and shook her head. She wouldn't let go until he gave her phone back. 

"Oh, I see," Yoona said softly. "I must be interrupting something between you two then." There was an awkward pause through the conversation. "Are you…guys on a date?"

Changmin's cheeks went red. "What–"

"Ah, so you're dating Jessica behind Jaejoong's back? That's very bold of you, Changmin–"

"No, you don't understand! That's not it!" Changmin exclaimed. He yelped loudly when Jessica bit his hand harder.

"Are you okay? Did Jessica catch you on her phone? I'm sorry, I really must be interrupting things," Yoona apologized quickly. "I-I should go. Bye."

"No wait! Yoona–" Beep. Beep. Beep.

Changmin dropped Jessica's phone on the ground, dumbfounded. Jessica let go of Changmin's hand and quickly snatched her phone. She gasped when she saw a small crack on the back of her phone case. She narrowed her eyes at Changmin.

"Look what you did! You made a scratch on my phone case! You better pay for it later," Jessica grumbled.

"I…She just hung up on me," Changmin mumbled, his lips quivering a bit.

 

Yoona heaved a sigh. She closed her eyes to hold back her tear, and looked down to the ground. Now she felt even more alone than ever. She doubt that her match would come back. Taecyeon probably left her, thinking that she was a very clumsy lady. He wouldn't possibly want her to be his wife–

"Yoona, are you okay?" Yoona looked up and met Taecyeon's concerned eyes. She strained to hold back her tears and smiled brightly at Taecyeon.

"Yep, I'm fine. What made you think that I wasn't okay?" Yoona asked, laughing. Taecyeon handed her a cup of water and sat next to her.

"You look like you're going to cry," Taecyeon whispered. Yoona laughed again, but this time a bit louder.

"What? Me? Cry? Taecyeon, the first thing you have to know about me is that I never cry. The only time I cried was…was when…"

"Was when…?"

"Was…Was when I broke up with my ex-boyfriend," she said, referring to Jaejoong. Taecyeon kept quiet, and then slowly nodded his head.

"Why don't you drink your water?" he asked quietly. Yoona nodded her head and gulped down her cup. Then, Taecyeon suddenly said, "You know, you can cry if you want to. I'll wipe away those tears for you if you need to. No one is really around here."

Didn't I just tell him that I never cry? Why would I cry just because Changmin is making a huge move on Jessica? Why–

"There, there," Taecyeon whispered, giving Yoona tight hug. "There's no need to hold back those tears."

Yoona felt a sharp pain stab through her heart. The mere thought of Changmin being with Jessica was truly painful. A few drops of tears dropped on Taecyeon's shirt, but he didn't mind. Yoona bit her lips, and shut her eyes close.

"I-It's not fair," Yoona said through her sobs. "I-It just isn't–"

Suddenly, Yoona felt something warn on her cheeks. Something soft, like…

She slowly opened her eyes, and realized that Taecyeon's lips were pressed against her cheeks, kissing her tears away.

 

Changmin turned around, and it was clearly the wrong time to check up on Yoona. He didn't know when Taecyeon came, but all he saw was Taecyeon "kissing" Yoona. The color vanished from his face, and he felt his knees feel weaker.

Jessica, who was about to scold Changmin again, looked up at Yoona and squealed with happiness. However, when she glanced at Changmin, her eyes slightly widened. His eyes were full of agony; full of despair. He was obviously speechless, for his lips were partly opened, shaking with unbelief. She completely understood why Changmin was so worried over Yoona: He loved her.

Slowly, with gentle and caution hands, she covered Changmin's wide and frightful eyes. Changmin blinked his eyes, as his view was met with darkness.

"If it's going to hurt you a lot to see this scene, what's the point of seeing it?" Jessica asked softly. She had a sympathetic expression on her face, upset how Changmin was just letting himself be in pain. "Why don't you…do something?"

Changmin stood still. He didn't move. Even Jessica's words couldn't get through his head. He was too stunned seeing Yoona being kissed by another man he didn't approve.

 

No one knew a lonely, angry figure standing only a few feet away from the scene. The man clenched his fist and angrily glared at Changmin and Jessica. At that moment, when he saw Jessica's painful expression, he felt like the world had betrayed him. He thought that Jessica was upset seeing Changmin falling in love with another woman, but he was so wrong. Yet, he believed that Jessica was falling in love with his secretary, and decided to turn his back against them.

Jaejoong took a deep breath, and felt time stop for a brief moment just for him. Then, he exhaled loudly and walked away with anger burning his chest.

 

Krystal frowned. "I…sense something."

Sulli, a close friend of Krystal in America, raised an eyebrow. "Huh? What do you mean?"

Krystal kept quiet. She shivered, and took a deep breath.

"I sense something going on. My spine was shivering. This just has to do something with my sister," Krystal mumbled.

"Oh, that again? Maybe you just didn't clear up the misunderstandings between your sister and her friends," Sulli suggested. Krystal shook her head.

"No, no! That's not it! The feeling is way stronger than last time. It's as if…as if… as if there's another misunderstanding."

The two kept quiet until Sulli laughed. "Krystal, your sixth sense is weird."

As Sulli asked for a plate of meatloaf, Krystal asked, "Do you know when our next break is?"

"Krystal, you aren't going to Korea again, are you?" Sulli gasped. Krystal shrugged her shoulders.

"Hey, someone's got to take care of the old guys," Krystal said cooly, grinning.