The Dinner Date (2/3)

Business Engagement

Jessica widened her eyes as she stared at the little kids, screaming and running around the inside playground. She saw a boy about 5-years old stuffing his nose with french fries, a young girl with crazy hair talking and spitting with open, and more kids screaming and running. Jaejoong knew that he made a big mistake coming to McDonalds for dinner.

"I thought we were going somewhere else to eat besides McDonalds…" Jessica whispered, tugging on Jaejoong's sleeve. He rubbed his nape.

"Er…I kind of only know McDonalds. Other than that, I don't know anywhere else to go," Jaejoong confessed. Jessica sighed. She knew that she would have to eat the fat, unhealthy hamburger for dinner. She took a seat uncomfortably as Jaejoong sat across from her.

"So…what do you want to eat?" Jaejoong asked.

 

"So…what do you want to eat?" Changmin asked, holding up the menu. Yoona glared at Changmin, her arms still crossed. She didn't know how Changmin had possibly dragged her into the car and took her to such a fancy restaurant.

"I want to tear you apart," Yoona grumbled. 

"Well, I'm sorry, but you'll get sued," Changmin replied calmly. Yoona gritted her teeth.

"Why are you here? Where is Jaejoong?" Yoona demanded. Changmin heaved a heavy sigh and ran his fingers through his smooth, brown hair.

I knew this wouldn't work, he thought. "I told you, Jaejoong isn't coming."

"Why?" Yoona snapped.

"Because he's at a freaking dinner with a freaking somebody," Changmin hissed.

"Call him, then."

"I can't."

"Why?"

"Because he's probably busy eating with the somebody!"

"Well who's the somebody?"

"I can't tell."

"Why?"

"Can you just shut up–" Changmin stopped himself. He took a deep breath, and then exhaled. "I mean, what do you want to eat?"

"I don't want to eat anything with you!" Yoona snapped. She wanted to throw her menu at Changmin, but didn't want to cause commotions.

"Yoona-ssi, this is a business dinner," Changmin said serious, glaring at Yoona. Yoona froze and gripped on her dress tightly. "We are here to have dinner and discuss about the products. I will report to Jaejoong about what we have discussed. Now, can we move on? What do you want?"

"I want to tear you apart," Yoona repeated. Changmin slapped his forehead and then groaned.

 

"Three Big Macs for me and a cheeseburger for you," Jaejoong said, putting a tray of fast food on the table. Jessica couldn't help but smile as she stared at her food. She took a sip of her Sprite and unwrapped the paper.

"I'll eat well!" she exclaimed, gently biting the burger. She constantly stared at Jaejoong, who was staring at Jessica without touching his food. His elbow was on the table, as his head rested against his fist. Jessica wiped with the napkin and stared back at Jaejoong. "Why aren't you eating?"

"Because I like to watch you eat," Jaejoong said. Jessica frowned. 

"The whole point of this dinner was to get to know each other," Jessica said. "I want to talk to you while we both eat."

"I eat really fast," Jaejoong said.

"So?"

"Before you finish your cheeseburger, I'll be done."

"So?"

"Doesn't that make you feel…I dunno, bad?"

"Bad? What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, you're so lady-like, it's polite for you to eat slowly so that you don't make a mess," Jaejoong replied, smirking. Jessica gave him a deadly glare. 

"Don't worry, I won't make you wait. Now hurry up and eat!" she encouraged. Jaejoong laughed and opened up the large box.

"I warned you…"

"Ah, who cares?" Jessica said, laughing. "At least I found out that you're a fast and hungry eater."

Jaejoong smiled. "And I found out that you like to eat with people instead of eating alone."

"Ha, ha, ha!" Jessica laughed, covering politely. "Then that means that if we have dinner together again, you shouldn't be late!"

Jaejoong's face immediately fell. "Yeah, I guess…"

Suddenly, the atmosphere turned strange. Jaejoong stopped talking, gloomily eating his burger. Jessica knew that she had said something totally wrong. As she nibbled on the cheeseburger, she tried to set up a conversation. However, Jaejoong would shrug, nod, or shake his head.

After several of minutes later, Jessica spoke up. "How come you're so gloomy all of the sudden?"

Jaejoong shrugged.

"Can you at least speak up?" Jessica pleaded. 

Jaejoong shook his head.

"Why?"

Jaejoong shrugged. Jessica scowled. 

"C'mon! Is it because of what I said?" Jessica asked. Jaejoong kept quiet. Then, it hit her–Yoona and Jaejoong. What Jessica had said had to somehow relate to Yoona's and Jaejoong's old relationship. Jessica bit her bottom lips. "I'm sorry. I didn't think it'd had to do anything with you and Yoona…"

"It's fine," Jaejoong finally sighed. "Memories just came back to me."

"I feel bad, though," Jessica said truthfully. "You kept quiet the whole time with your gloomy face. I even finished my cheeseburger, and you're on your first!"

Jaejoong stared at his two boxes of hamburger. "I guess I'm not hungry all of then sudden–"

"Then shall we go home?" Jessica asked, obviously frowning. "Shall we go home just because of some old memories that came back?"

"Do you want to go home–"

"Sure, fine. Let's go home then," Jessica snapped. She got up and stormed out of the McDonald doors as Jaejoong quickly followed behind her.

When the two got into the car, they kept silent. Jaejoong knew that Jessica was mad at him, so he didn't dare to speak. As for Jessica, she didn't want to say something else that would hurt Jaejoong, so she kept quiet. The whole ride, Jessica kept looking out the window, arms crossed, and glared enviously at the couples who passed by them. Jaejoong tried to keep his focus on driving, but at times, he would glance at Jessica, knowing that she wanted the date to be longer.

This is wrong, Jaejoong thought, putting a hand over his forehead. I shouldn't be like this. I shouldn't think how I always stood Yoona up during dinner dates. I should think of Jessica and me tonight, being together. The date shouldn't end like this. It should end with a nice conversation between us, or at least Jessica sleeping in the car since she was exhausted from the date.

"Turn left," Jessica spoke. Jaejoong jumped and focused on his driving. He realized that he was already in front of Jessica's mansion. Jessica unbuckled her seatbelt, ready to leave. As Jaejoong slowly turned left, Jessica had her hands on the handle of the door. When Jaejoong stopped the car, Jessica pushed the door opened, not even facing Jaejoong.

"Thanks for the date," Jessica said numbly. Jaejoong just nodded his head, as Jessica slammed the door angrily. Jaejoong watched Jessica go up the long steps, getting further and further away from him.

No, Jaejoong thought. The date should not end like this. It should not end with Jessica not even saying goodbye. It should end with Jessica turning around, smiling, and waving at me, thanking me for the date. 

"Jessica!" Jaejoong blurted. Jessica turned around and stared at Jaejoong with a blank expression. He his lips and opened the door to his car. "Get on!"

"Why?" Jessica asked, crossing her arms.

"Because…I have more to show you!" Jaejoong yelled. Jessica cocked her head to the side.

"What?"

"Er…the date! It doesn't end with just McDonalds. Er…come with me," Jaejoong urged. Jessica hesitated for a moment, and then came down the steps. Jaejoong stared at Jessica, who gracefully seemed to glide down the steep steps.

"Fine," she said reluctantly. "Show me more."

Jaejoong grinned, as he opened the car for Jessica. Now he just had to know where to go for their extra-long date.

 

"That's it, we're leaving," Changmin said, after trying to persuade Yoona to order something several of times. Yoona frowned.

"But–" Yoona was interrupted when a waiter accidentally spilled grape wine on Yoona's dress. Yoona screeched and gasped, angrily turning at the waiter. "You–"

"I'm so sorry!" the waiter apologized. Changmin quickly gone into action. He grabbed his unused napkin and bent down in front of Yoona. He carefully tried to remove the stain as much as possible from Yoona's dress.

"It's fine," Changmin said, before Yoona could outburst her anger and sue the waiter. "We're going to leave, anyways."

"But we didn't even get to order!" Yoona complained.

"Excuse us," Changmin said, putting the purple napkin on the table. He courted Yoona out of the restaurant, who was staring at Changmin. When they arrived in front of Changmin's car, Yoona stopped walking. Changmin stopped and turned to Yoona.

"Get in," he commanded.

"But–"

"You don't want anyone staring at the stain on your dress, do you?" Changmin questioned, shifting his weight to one side. Yoona shook her head, as she jumped into the car right next to Changmin. Changmin sighed and closed the door next to him, starting the engine.

"So where are we going?" Yoona asked.

"Home."

"But I'm hungry!"

"Then starve," Changmin said coldly. "You were complaining that you didn't want to eat."

Yoona glared at Changmin. She just made another enemy in her enemy list.