The Secretary Position

Business Engagement

The next morning, Changmin opened the door to his boss’s office. He was extremely exhausted, but he had finished his job. His eyes were sore and red, as a shade of purple under the eye tried to hide behind the powdered-makeup. His back was hunched and his arms were weak, struggling to carry the thick portfolio caressed in his arms. He tried his best to walk normally, but his knees were bent and shaky. As he rubbed his eyes, the first thing he heard was a female voice, crying, “He’s a monster!”

Changmin looked up and noticed an elegant figure sitting across Jaejoong’s desk. The frightened lady stared at Changmin rudely, as Changmin glared at her. “I’m sorry for looking like a monster, ma’am, but if you didn’t know, I was signing papers and documents until midnight.”

“Jaejoong, is he really your secretary?” asked the stranger.

“Yeah, what else would he be? My pet dog?” Jaejoong joked, smiling. Changmin noticed that the two were holdings hands together on the desk. His eyes suddenly shot wide open as he accidentally dropped his portfolio. Papers and important documents scattered on the ground like leaves in autumn.

“Jaejoong, who on earth is she?” Changmin asked, pointing at the girl. 

The girl scowled. “My name is Jessica, Changmin. Jung Jessica. Remember that.”

“Why is she here?” Changmin questioned, looking at Jaejoong. “And how does she know my name?”

“We were, uh, talking about you,” Jaejoong said softly. Changmin’s face immediately fell. “But positive things! We were talking about positive points about you!…At least I was.”

“We were talking about if I should replace you. I’ve been my father’s secretary and his personal assistance once,” Jessica smirked, crossing her leg across the other. “Plus, I’m his wife.”

“You’re going to replace me, Jaejoong?!” Changmin gasped.

“No!” Jaejoong shouted. “I’m not going to replace you!”

“You should, Jaejoong. To bring a guy like him into your office is a disgrace,” mumbled Jessica. Changmin’s face turned bright red in anger.

“A disgrace? I will assure you, ma’am, that I am the most loyal and dependable secretary on this Earth! Jaejoong, is she really your wife?”

“I’m just saying that you’re a disgrace so that Jaejoong could see my point of view. Isn’t that right, Jaejoong?” Jessica said cutely, glancing at Jaejoong.

“Ignore her,” Jaejoong said. 

“Gladly,” Changmin replied, bending down to pick up the scattered paper.

“Well, I guess he could be my assistant,” Jessica said quietly. “He is quite handsome.”

Jaejoong stared at Jessica. “You never said that I was handsome or such a thing to me ever since we met, and we’re going to get married!”

“That’s because, Jaejoong-ssi, I still don’t know you.”

“You don’t know Changmin.”

“I do. You talked all about him earlier this morning.”

“So should I talk about myself then?”

“I’d prefer not to hear the nuisance and extra praises about you, Jaejoong. You’ll probably brag about yourself.”

“I won’t say that I’m the best husband there is! I promise!” Jaejoong exclaimed.

“Then what would you say?”

“Well…I’m the best business man in the world! I own the largest skyscraper and I’m awesome at skateboarding! I’m a pro at–”

“That’s enough. I told you that you would brag about yourself!” Jessica pointed out.

“What are you talking about? Changmin, did I brag about myself?” Jaejoong asked, looking about at Changmin. Changmin was finished with organizing the scattered paper as he handed them to Jaejoong.

“No sir,” Changmin answered, shaking his head. “You did not brag about yourself.”

Jessica grunted. “Boys are so weird.”

“Boys are not weird! Girl’s are weird,” corrected Jaejoong, glancing at the documents. Jessica stared at him blankly as Jaejoong slowly nodded his head. He suddenly stopped to a page and then frowned. 

Strange, he thought. I don’t remember seeing this paper when I was organizing it.

“Changmin, have you heard of a new product we’re promoting? I don’t remember putting this document in my stack of papers.”

“Well, Jaejoong-ssi, I wasn’t quite sure about myself. After our companies have agreed, I still haven’t gotten the full information. It seems like we’re promoting a beauty product–Some kind of cream. We’re using a model from the other company and they want to cooperate with us. I signed it, just like you told me to,” Changmin explained. Jaejoong frowned as he looked at the company’s name.

The Beauty Im Incorporation…Never heard of such a company, Jaejoong thought. 

“Changmin, can you find some information about this company?” Jaejoong asked, handing back the document to Changmin. Changmin nodded as he put the document back into the paper.

“Jaejoong, let me handle this! I’m an expert at finding information–”

“Jaejoong-ssi, I just printed out a page that lists all the important information that you need to know about the company,” Changmin interrupted, handing Jaejoong a thin sheet of paper. Jessica dropped wide open, shocked about how fast Changmin had researched about the company. 

“He had the information before!” Jessica accused. “Stop showing off as if you’re really fast at researching or typing or whatever!”

Changmin stuck his tongue out at Jaejoong’s wife. “It is a secretary’s responsibility to be prepared.”

“Don’t stick your tongue out at me, mister!” Jessica snapped. She turned to Jaejoong and tapped on the desk to get his attention. “Jaejoong, you really need my help! Let me be your secretary! He can be my assistant!”

“Enough!” Jaejoong shouted, slamming his fist against his desk. Papers jumped a bit as the can of pens and pencils fell over. Jaejoong heaved a sigh and held back his anger. He pointed at Jessica. “You are going to be my wife.” Then he pointed at Changmin. “And you are going to be my secretary and personal assistant.”

“But–”

“No ifs, whats, buts–nothing. Understand?” Jaejoong said seriously. Jessica pouted sadly as she slowly nodded her head. Changmin smiled proudly as he agreed with Jaejoong. Jaejoong heaved a sigh and got up. “Now if you two excuse me, I’m going to go out to get a drink.”

When Jaejoong left Jessica and Changmin in his office, the two shot each other nasty glares.

“Jaejoong is only taking your side cause you’re a boy!” Jessica exclaimed. “Don’t be too proud!”

“Mehrong~” Changmin teased, sticking out his tongue again. “You’re just jealous that I get the part of being his secretary.”

“Grrr…” Jessica suddenly kicked Changmin’s shin as Changmin winced in pain. He hopped on one foot as Jessica went out to find Jaejoong. Changmin rubbed his injured shin and groaned in pain, glaring at the blonde-haired princess.

“That girl…” Changmin grumbled.