A Step Closer

Business Engagement

"Jessica? Jessica, are you still angry at me? Aw come on! I only pointed out that you were blushing! There's nothing bad about blushing in front of the guy you like."

"Who said that I was blushing? And what guy do I like? I would rather pick Changmin over you, Jaejoong!" Jessica lied. Her whole face was beet red, and she started to feel pretty nervous. Jaejoong grinned, and knowing that Jessica would definitely pick him over Changmin, he reached to grab her wrist.

"Come on, Sica! Calm down for a second!" Jaejoong told her, continuing to keep up with his goofy grin. Jessica coldly glared at Jaejoong, but he was immune to her glares.

"I don't want to calm down! I can eat lunch by myself. Heck, maybe I'll eat lunch with Yoona or Changmin!" Jessica blurted. "Or maybe even my little sister! By the way, I don't owe you anything. You payed for Krystal's meal on your own will."

"If I say that I'll eat lunch with you, will you stop getting angry? And about Krystal, make sure that she leaves money before she leaves. I didn't pay her meal on my own will. She left me with the bill," Jaejoong corrected. Jessica glared at Jaejoong and tugged her wrist away from Jaejoong's grisp.

"I told you, I don't need– Ah!" Jessica quickly gasped and fell backwards. She had accidentally tripped on her heels, and she knew that her fall won't like pretty. She closed her eyes and unconsciously put her hands near her chest. She continued to close her eyes tightly, and held her breath for a long time. She waited for a second, and slowly realized that she wasn't falling. Jessica slowly opened her eyes and glanced down. She felt an arm wrapping around her slender waist. A blush ran across her cheeks when she became aware of who the arm belonged to.

Jaejoong, she thought. She looked up awkwardly, only to find Jaejoong staring at her with wide and shocked eyes. Their lips were only inches away from each other, and their nose were almost touching. She suddenly noticed how lovely his dark, yet mysterious eyes appeared. Her heart began to race once she felt Jaejoong's breath on her lips. 

"Are you okay?" Jaejoong whispered. Jessica quickly snapped out of her thoughts and shot her eyes wide open. In an instant, she pushed Jaejoong away from her and stumbled to get her balance. Jaejoong frowned, and slightly tilted his head. Jessica's face reddened, and she quickly bowed at Jaejoong.

"I-I…I'll be going then!" Jessica stuttered. She quickly took off, feeling her cheeks burn with embarrassment.

If she was in that awkward position with Jaejoong any longer, her heart might've exploded into little drops of hearts.

 

Changmin glanced at the clock worriedly. He finished filing and organizing the paperworks early with the assistance of Yoona, but he was feeling impatient. He was wondering what was going on down at the lobby with Jessica and Jaejoong, and desperately wanted to see what was happening.

Yoona, who sensed Changmin's troubled feelings, sighed. "You can go. I'll wait for Jaejoong if he comes back."

Changmin looked up, and then mustered up a smile. "No, it's fine. I might create more chaos between them."

"But you really want to see Jessica," Yoona pointed out. "Why don't you call her or something then?"

"…Wouldn't you feel lonely if I leave and see Jessica?"

"Since when did you ever care about me?" Yoona coldly muttered. Changmin's eyebrows raised upwards, and Yoona bit her tongue. "I-I mean…Just go. I won't feel lonely."

Just then, a small smile crept on his face. He reached to grab Yoona's hand, and Yoona almost flinched from the skin contact. She looked up and met Changmin's bright, brown orbs.

"If you're feeling lonely, just say it."

"But Jessica–"

"Jessica has Jaejoong. Who do you have?" Changmin questioned her. Yoona bit her bottom lips, and then looked away. Covering her face with her hair, she pulled her hands away from Changmin's hand.

"I have no one, and I don't need your sympathy," Yoona coldly stated. She covered secretly with one hand, and widened her eyes.

That wasn't supposed to come out! It was the total opposite of what I was trying to say! Yoona thought. Her eyes watered a bit, scared that Changmin might hate her. Heck, he'll surely hate her for saying something so harsh.

Instead, she heard a laugh. A bright, light laugh that belonged to the man sitting next to her. She slowly turned around, and her eyes widened just a bit. Changmin's true smile made her cheeks flush in a beautiful shade of pink. Ending his laugh with a small chuckle, he rested the side of his head on his fist.

"Yoona…you're really interesting," Changmin commented.

Those four words brought a lovely smile on Yoona's face.

And her smile made Changmin's heart race.