Red Alert

My Groom Who Left ME in the Altar

 

         I was staring at him blankly and I can see surprise written on his face. That surprise look turned to recognition and I can feel my heart contracting with pain and then…anger. There’s nothing more to it. I can feel my mind processing everything with abrupt speed and it was like as if the past is replaying over and over in my mind.

            I can feel the tears starting to build up in the corner of my eyes and I don’t know if I can hold it anymore. I turned towards the president and opened my mouth.

            “Can I just go out for a while, sir?” I said my voice impossibly calm though my heart is thumping very fast.

            The president frowned. “Wae?”

            “Is there a problem, Tae Hee?” Leeteuk asked.

            “Aniyo.” I said racking my brain for an explanation. “Er, bathroom.”

            “Arasso.” Leeteuk nodded and I can see Kyuhyun looking at me without blinking. “There’s one down the hall.”

            “Gumawo.” I said and I willed my feet to move forward and I am glad that I can still move it. I walked passed Kyuhyun and I accidentally bumped into his shoulders. I swear I heard him say my name so softly it must have been a whisper.

I pushed the double doors of the conference room open and I stopped outside trying to catch my breath. My breathing is a little haggard and wiped the tears that have fallen in my cheeks.

            “Breathe Tae Hee, breathe.” I said my eyes closed. “This is not happening.”

I turned towards down the hall and I can feel myself walking faster with every step. I need to get out of here. I stopped when I saw a bunch of handsome boys that’s about to go my way. I easily recognized the boy in the middle. It’s none other than Taemin.

            “Yah, Lee Taemin!” I shouted, pointing at him.

            Taemin’s face is a mixture of shock and happiness to see me. “Noona, what are you doing here?”

            “We need to talk.” I said with a little authority.

            “Who are you?” the boy in Taemin’s left said with his eyebrows raised.

            “Key, be good.” Onew ordered.

            I wasn’t paying attention with them. I grabbed Taemin’s hand and dragged him into the nearest empty room, which is just right on our left. I closed the door once we were inside but then I opened it again. I poked my head outside and I found the four other members still outside.

            “Don’t listen.” I said pointing at each of them.

            “Yah~” the boy Onew started to say but I already closed the door again.

            I looked at Taemin who is still shocked to see me. I paced the room back and forth trying to clear my mind and calm myself.

            “Noona, you’re making me dizzy.” Taemin finally said.

            I glared at him. “You have many things to explain to me.”

            “I don’t understand.” Taemin said his cute face starting to get frustrated.

            “I met him.” I blurted out. “I saw him again.”

            Taemin’s face paled a little. “Noona…”

            “Wae?!” I shouted the tears starting build up again. “Why didn’t you tell him he’s here?”

            “I didn’t know that you will come here.” Taemin mumbled.

            “You could’ve said something to me.” I said.

            “I was hoping that you wouldn’t see him.” Taemin said indignantly

            I closed my eyes. “How long have you worked with him?”

            “We’re not really working together.” Taemin said defensively.

            “Please just answer me.” I said more calm now.

           “I started a year and a half ago.” Taemin said trying to remember. “So I guess…that’s how long.”

            “Why didn’t you say anything about it?” I asked as I open my eyes.

            “You’re unreachable remember?” Taemin said and I have no answer for that.

            The room was bathed with silence. Taemin has a point and I felt guilty for blaming him and worst I am guilty for transferring the anger to him which is really meant for Kyuhyun.

            “Mianheyeo.” I mumbled sincerely.

            “Why are you here noona?” Taemin asked again.

            I sighed. “I’m here because of a job interview.”

            “Mou?” Taemin frowned. “Interview for what?”

            “For the position of a fashion consultant.” I admitted.

            Taemin’s eyes widened. “You’re the fashion consultant that the president is talking about?”

            “Neh.” I nodded. “My friend, Maria, told me that there’s a job offering here and I came not knowing what I am applying for.”

           “Well you can still back out right?” Taemin said. “I mean it was just an interview.”

            I groaned with frustration. “That’s the problem I already signed the contract. I can’t back out now.”

            “That’s…a problem.” Taemin said.

            There was silence again and this time it was more pronounced. My heart beat is back to normal now but I can feel another set of nerves settling over me. There was a knock on the door and Taemin and I both jumped with surprise.

 

            “Yah! What are you two doing there?” Onew’s voice rang from outside.

            “Nothing, hyung.” Taemin answered.

            “The president is waiting for us Taeminnie.” another voice said.

            “Let’s go noona.” Taemin said.

            “Arasso.” I answered.

             I took a deep breath as Taemin opened the door. The four boys were obviously bored and Onew is a little irritated.

            “Sorry, hyung.” Taemin said. “We just have something to talk about.”

            “Kaja.” the other boy said.

            We went back towards the direction of the conference room and Taemin opened the door for me. Everyone inside the room turned to look at us. I refused to look at Kyuhyun and I sat in my usual place.

            “What took you so long?” the president asked.

            No one answered and I can feel the silence and tension building again. It made my hand sweat and I racked my brains again for an answer.

            I laughed awkwardly. “I bumped with these four handsome boys on my way to the restroom and I forgot what I am supposed to do.”

            “I don’t know that SHINee have an effect like that.” Yesung smirked and Leeteuk rolled his eyes.

            “Aish~ hyung what are you saying?” the boy on Taemin’s left said.

            “Molla, Minho.” Yesung replied.

            “Well everyone I want you to all meet Kim Tae Hee again, for those who don’t know her yet.” The president said calling everyone’s attention.

            I stood up once more and bowed. “Annyeong, Kim Tae Hee imnida.”

            “She will be working with you from on, both SUJU and SHINee.” the president explained. “With SNSD too.”

           

            I was forced to stay a few more hours until the meeting wasn’t over. The president said that it would only be proper for me to stay throughout the meeting since I am now an official member of the SM Entertainment team. I listened without interest while the president babbled about his plan for the groups. I tried to sneak a peek on everyone because I know that they will be so attentive with whatever the president is saying. 

I was wrong.

            When I turned to look at my left I immediately caught the eyes of Kyuhyun. He was looking at me or shall I say staring at me. I couldn’t read his expression and I don’t want to. I hastily averted my eyes back into the president, my heart pounding once again.

            At last the meeting ended. I started to gather my things when I felt someone beside me. I can feel his presence and like always his presence is so strong to me, maybe because after all these years my mind can unconsciously recognize him.

            “Tae Hee.” he whispered softly.

          I looked around slowly because I couldn’t ignore with everyone around. I plastered a smile on my face even though my heart is in pain just by looking at his impossibly handsome face. “Annyeong.”

            I can see that Kyuhyun is surprised that I greeted him so cheerfully and he frowned. “Annyeong…Tae Hee. How are you?”

            “I’m great.” I said with sarcasm and I know he heard it. “It’s glad to meet you for the first time. Yesung oppa said that you’re the evil maknae.”

            “First…time?” Kyuhyun frowned ignoring the rest of what I have said. “What are you talking about?”

            “Neh.’ I said putting an innocent face. “Or have we met before?”

            Kyuhyun opened his mouth to reply but he was cut off when Taemin appeared by his side. Taemin took my bag and said. “Kaja, noona.”

            “Arasso.” I smiled gratefully.

            “We’re going, hyung.” Taemin said to Kyuhyun.

            Kyuhyun’s face is unreadable so I said. “Bye.”

           Once we were outside I gasped for more air. “That was close.”

           “What did he tell you?” Taemin asked quietly.

           “Nothing actually.” I replied. “I pretended not to know him.”

           “Wae?” Taemin asked looking at me straight in the eyes.

           I returned his look. “Because I am not ready to face him yet. Not now and not until I came back to Japan again.”

          I went inside my car as Taemin waved at me goodbye. I revved the engine and before I can pull my car off the drive completely I saw Kyuhyun in my rearview mirror, not far from where Taemin is standing, looking straight at me.