It Starts With Friendship

My Groom Who Left ME in the Altar

 

“Momo!” I shouted at my dog as soon as I saw him.

 

                        I unloaded my shopping bags in the couch and went straight at him. He’s currently hiding under my sketch table and he’s chewing something.

 

                        “Yah! JUGULAE?!” I demanded as I snatch the paper from him. “I just made this!”

 

                        I tried to piece together the remaining of my sketch but I couldn’t do anything about it. Momo is happily barking at me as if to welcome me home. I glared at him as he looked up at me, tongue lolling at the side.

 

                        “Aish~ you’re not even remorseful!” I scolded him and went to the kitchen.

 

                        Momo followed my every move as I unpack the groceries I bought. He gave an impatient bark at me and I picked him up.

 

                        “If you think that I will make you food, then you’re wrong.” I told him. “You should have your punishment for ruining my sketch.”

 

                        Ten minutes later, Momo is happily eating his dog food.

 

                        “Aigoo~ I really hate it when he give me the puppy eyes.” I whined as I picked up my ringing phone.

 

                        “Yeoboseyeo?” I answered.

 

                        “Noona, it’s me.” Taemin’s voice said on the other end.

 

                        “Taemin, how are you?” I cheer up.

 

                        He laughed. “I’m good. It’s fun here in Japan but I miss you.”

                        “I miss you too.” I assured him. “When are you going home?”

 

                        “In a couple of days.” he replied. “We’re just finishing the promotions.”

 

                        Momo barked again to inform me that he has finished his food. He does that all the time like as if he’s proud to announce that he didn’t waste any.

 

                        “Where are you, noona?” Taemin asked.

 

                        “I’m at the house.” I answered as I pour Momo a bowl of water.

 

                        “I think I heard a dog bark.” he said confused.

 

                        “Oh~” I mumbled. “I have a dog in the house.”

 

                        “Jinjja?” he asked. “You didn’t tell me you were going to get a dog. When did you get it?”

 

                        I paused for a second trying to think. I’m sure Taemin wouldn’t take it that good if he learned that I got it from Kyuhyun on my birthday.

 

                        “I just got him a couple of days ago.” I answered dismissively, hating that I am lying.

 

                        “Oh~ arasso.” Taemin said after a moment. “I would like to meet him when I get back.”

 

                        “Yeah, sure.” I agreed. “He’s called Momo.”

 

                        “Momo?” he laughed. “It’s not that creative.”

 

                        I didn’t pick the name. I thought. “I think it’s cute.”

 

                        “Arasso.” he laughed again.

 

                        We talked for a few minutes more before he hangs up. I stretched lazily and checked my watch; I have an hour and a half to prepare for work. I choose simple jeans and a blouse because I’m too lazy to pick something more elaborate than that. I made sure Momo has enough food and water and then I drive to work.

                        There will be a meeting today and it looks like today isn’t a good day for some Suju members. I saw Donghae and Eunhyuk on the hallway looking troubled.

 

                        “Annyeong.” I greeted them. “Is the meeting already starting?”

 

                        “Aniyo.” Eunhyuk replied. “We’re just about to go back there.”

 

                        “Oh, arasso.” I smiled.

 

                        Donghae sighed and Eunhyuk patted him in the back.

 

                        “Fishy-ah!” Siwon shouted from behind us. “There you are!”

 

                        Siwon approached us and he gave a little bow of greeting in my direction. “Are you here for the meeting too Tae Hee?”

 

                        “Neh.” I nodded.

 

                        Siwon nodded absent-mindedly and turned to Donghae. “Let’s go back. And stop fooling around.”

 

                        Siwon put an arm around Donghae’s shoulder and led him to the meeting room while Eunhyuk whispered something to me.

 

                        “He got scolded by our manager.” he said.

 

                        There was a different atmosphere when I entered the meeting room. All Super Junior members looked at me curiously while the girls waved at me. I took a seat beside Yesung around the oval table and he looked up at me.

                       

                        “Oh, it’s you.” he mumbled.

 

                        “Er, hi.” I smiled.

 

                        There’s something about the way he said ‘it’s you’ that made me nervous. My eyes automatically searched for Kyuhyun but he was looking pointedly at his hands. He’s probably mad at me.

 

                        The president of the company arrived before I can think about even further. The meeting is long and the topic is centered on the promotions and joint activities of Super Junior and SNSD in the future. I didn’t comment on anything except when I was asked for an opinion.

 

                        I was bored in my seat and I started inspecting my bracelet under the table while looking as if I was paying attention. The meeting ended without me realizing anything, I was surprised when I looked up that everyone is gone except for Kyuhyun waiting from the door.

 

                        He was basically blocking my exit so I can’t do anything but get pass him. I went his way and tried to be casual about it but then it took me by surprise when he flashed a genuine smile at me.

 

                        “Annyeong.” he waved.

 

                        I stopped in front of him in a safe distance trying to weigh the situation. “Hi.”

 

                        “Do you mind if I talk to you for a moment?” he asked formally and I frowned.

 

                        “Okay.” I replied because I don’t have a choice.

 

                        And then as if he can read my mind. “It won’t take long but if you really don’t want to talk to me, it’s fine. I’ll understand.”

 

                        I blink in confusion. “I’m listening.”

 

                        He surprised me again by extending his and towards me. “Annyeonghaseyo, Cho Kyuhyun imnida.”

 

                        “Mourago?” I asked in disbelief.

 

                        I knew it. He’s playing a game at me again. I shouldn’t have trusted his smile and formal words.

 

                        Kyuhyun continued to extend his hand towards me before explaining seriously. “I’m not asking you to forget what I did. I’m not even asking you to not hate me but I’m tired of fighting every time. I don’t want to make you cry every time I open my mouth. If you will accept my offer of friendship maybe we can start over, start being civil towards each other.”

 

                        I gave him a searching look as I tried to process slowly what he just said. He’s asking us to be friends? Kyuhyun waited for my answer with unwavering gaze but as I stared into his eyes I can see that he’s nervous. I look at his other hand and sure enough he’s clenching his fist, a habit he does when he’s nervous or anxious.

 

                        “Are you serious?” I asked when I looked back at him.

                        “Neh.” he nodded.

 

                        Friendship, that’s all he’s asking. What’s there to lose?

 

                        I looked at Kyuhyun’s outstretched hand. I took his hand and slowly shook it. His calm expression betrayed him because I can see that he’s surprised. He’s not expecting me to accept. He just wanted to try without assuming anything.

 

                        “Tae Hee imnida.” I said and he smiled wider.

 

                        “Nice to meet you.” Kyuhyun shook my hand gently and then he let go.

 

                        I awkwardly dropped my hand back to my side.

 

                        Kyuhyun motioned at the door. “Well, I should go now. Bye.”

 

                        I was confused again. He was about to go out the door when I blurted out. “That’s it?”

 

                        Kyuhyun turned around to face me and said. “Well I still have rehearsals to attend and…let’s just say that I don’t want to push my luck. Right now, I’m happy that you even accepted. Kamsahamnida.”

 

                        His genuine thanks caught me off guard again and I let him go.

 

                        Cho Kyuhyun what am I going to do with you?