Closer and Closer

My Groom Who Left ME in the Altar

 

                         Ever since Kyuhyun’s offer of friendship, I can now work with less worry of having trouble with him. Sometimes he’ll offer me a smile and I will return it. He never tries to get overboard; Kyuhyun somehow manages to keep his distance from me like as if he was scared that if he gets any closer I’ll retreat away from him.

 

                        I remember working with him the other day and he was laughing with his friends, all of a sudden he turned to me and asks for my opinion and I just smiled at him, letting him know that I agree with whatever he’s saying. I think he appreciate that. Kyuhyun’s presence has been part of my daily life now and what trouble me are his friend’s actions towards me. They were kind and warm towards me but there’s something weird about it like all of a sudden I am a close friend of them.

 

                        I’m currently at Seoul library thinking about this stuff rather than reading the books I just took out of the shelves. Tomorrow Taemin will arrive from Japan and anticipate his warm smile. I sighed as I close the book in front of me.

 

                        Two days ago I had an invitation from Kyuhyun’s sister, Ahra, to accompany her to the mall. She filled me in with everything I miss and recalls what we used to the in the past. Later that night when I was back in my house, I realize how much I left when I went to Japan. Somehow I know that I have hurt Ahra’s feelings when I didn’t bother to keep in touch and I vowed to spend more time with her just like the old times.

 

                        I stood up and put the books back in their right shelves. It was already seven pm and the library is about to close. When I stepped outside I was greeted by a rumbling of thunder and a flash of lighting. I flinched at the sound and waited before sprinting at the parking lot towards my car. I shivered and tried to make myself warm when I got inside the car. I was already a little soaked.

 

                        I concentrated on the road as I drive ahead. It was hard to drive in this kind of weather and it’s already so dark. I was already in the highway when I heard a faint pop from behind my car and it lurched a little sideways. I parked the car to the side of the highway, hit the break and peered around nervously.

 

                        “Oh please, don’t do this to me.” I mumbled silently.

 

                        I fished an umbrella from the glove compartment of my car and went to check the damage.

 

                        I groaned as I saw that my left tire on the back is flat. “Aish~ why does this have to happen to me?”

 

                        I don’t have a spare tire and even if I do, I don’t have the skill to change my tire. I stomped my foot in frustration and went back inside my car. I gripped the steering wheel and tried o calm myself. I checked my phone and searched my contact list to find someone who can help me but failed.

 

                        I chucked my phone on the passenger seat in frustration. I was thinking of driving my car despite having a flat tire when I heard my phone ring. I snatched it and saw an unregistered number.

 

                        “Yeoboseyeo.” I answered.

 

                        “Tae Hee?” a voice asked tentatively.

 

                        “Who’s this?” I asked.

 

                        There was a pause and then. “It’s me Kyuhyun.”

 

                        “Oh~ hi.” I mumbled and for a moment I forgot my situation. “Do you need anything?”

 

                        “Uhm…I just want to check on you.” he muttered.

 

                        “I’m all right.” I answered as I internally debated if I should ask for his help.

 

                        Kyuhyun laughed awkwardly and then. “Oh okay. I’ll hang up now. I don’t want to disturb you more.”

 

                        “Oppa!” I said suddenly.

 

                        There’s no answer and I checked my phone, the line is still connected.

 

                        “Neh?” he asked.

 

                        “Can you…can you help me with something?” I asked.

 

                        “What is it?” Kyuhyun asked his voice alert.

 

                        “My car got a flat tire and I’m stuck in the highway.” I explained.

 

                        “Mou?” he asked. “You’re not in your house?”

 

                        “Aniyo.” I answered.

 

                        “What are you doing outside in this kind of weather?” he asked but he sounded like as if he was scolding me.

 

                        I’m just about to defend myself when he speaks again. “Nevermind. I’m coming for you. Stay in the car, arasso? Wait for me.”

 

                        “Neh, oppa.” I said and then he hangs up.

 

                        I double checked the lock on my car and waited. I’m starting to get worried for Kyuhyun when thirty minutes passed and he still wasn’t here.

 

                        Maybe he got into traffic.

 

                        There was a knock on my car window and I jumped a little. Kyuhyun was outside standing with an umbrella. I opened the door and got out of my car.

 

                        “Oppa!” I smiled with relief.

 

                        “Mianhe, if it took me so long.” Kyuhyun apologized.

 

                        “My car is a wreck.” I complained.

 

                        “Leave your car here. I’ve already called someone who will haul it.” Kyuhyun said.

 

                        I obeyed him and he led me inside his car. “Are you sure my car will be alright?”

 

                        “Don’t worry, my friend will get and fix it.” he assured me.

 

                        I shiver a little as I put on my seat belt. When I looked up I saw Kyuhyun removing his jacket. He handed it over at me.

 

                        “Put this on.” he ordered.

 

                        “But you’ll be cold.” I protested.

 

                        Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and smirked. “You’re the one who’s drenched and cold but you’re worried about me. I’m a guy, I’m tough.”

 

                        “Why do I doubt that?” I smirked back jokingly and put on his jacket.

 

                        “Yah! Take it easy or I will have to ask my friend not to fix your car.” he laughed.

 

                        “Bully!” I accused him and he laughed even more.

 

                        The drive to my house is quiet. Kyuhyun will ask a question every now and then but I’m mostly silent. It is due to the aft that as he drives me home I realize how am I alone with him with an almost normal conversation. It amazes me and made me nervous at the same time.

 

                        The rain was already a lazy drizzle when we arrived at my house. Kyuhyun held the umbrella for me as we walk to my front door.

 

                        “Gumawo, oppa.” I said gratefully.

 

                        He smiled and nodded before asking. “Why didn’t you call anyone for help?”

 

                        “I don’t have anyone to call.” I admitted.

 

                        “If I didn’t call you’ll be stuck there, is that it?” he asked again.

 

                        “Neh.” I nodded.

 

                        “And even if you know my number, you wouldn’t call me?” he asked.

 

                        “Maybe.” I mumbled.

 

                        Kyuhyun nodded and watched me get inside the house. “Bye.”

 

                        “Oppa!” I called after him and he turned around.

 

                        I hesitated and then smiled. “Would you like to have some coffee? I’m sure Momo wants to see you again.”

 

                        Kyuhyun smiled. “I’d love to.”