Replay

My Groom Who Left ME in the Altar

 

                I was on the floor crying. I can barely hear Kyuhyun outside, knocking and pleading for me to open the door. I covered my ears to block him out, wishing for him to go away and leave me alone.

 

                My head is spinning. It’s like having amnesia and then all of a sudden all your memories came rushing back in. I buried my face in my hand as I got lost to my memories three years ago.

 

               

 

                “Oppa!” I laughed as I chase him on the beach. I managed to grab his shirt and we both fell on the sand.

 

                “You’re going to tear my shirt.” Kyuhyun complained as I hold on to his shirt.

 

                I smirked at him. “Then I would have to make another one for you.”

 

                “I didn’t know that I will have a fashion designer for a girlfriend.” he teased me.

 

                “I’m not a fashion designer.” I countered. “Right now, I’m just a normal collage student who doesn’t know what to major in.”

 

                Kyuhyun pinched my cheek. “How many times do I have to tell you that you seriously have to pursue your dream of becoming a designer? I mean, you’re not learning it properly but you’re already good at it.”

 

                I laughed. Kyuhyun always makes me feel better with his words, even though most of the time he likes to tease and annoy the hell out of me. I gave him a peck on the cheek and asked if we could have ice cream.

 

                I held his hand while he stood in front of the counter, ordering for the both of us.

                We sat on the table overlooking the beach where waves are starting to form. The sun is already setting in the background. Kyuhyun is noticeably quiet like he’s thinking really hard.

 

                “Aren’t you going to eat your ice cream?” I asked motioning at his quick melting sundae.

 

                Kyuhyun just stared at me while I my chocolate chip ice cream. I frowned as I grip my cone a little tensely.

 

                “Why are you so silent?” I asked worriedly.

 

                He shrugged. “Just thinking about something.”

 

                “What do you mean about ‘something’? I asked again.

 

                ‘You and me.” he replied.

 

                I tensed. “What about us?”

 

                He looked at me really deep and intense. And then he asked the question that took my breath away. “Tae Hee…will you marry me?”

 

                He didn’t get down to his knees. He didn’t ask me to a fancy restaurant. He just sat there across the table, looking intensely and seriously at me, letting his sundae melt. Maybe I should be disappointed because he’s proposing so plainly to me but there’s something sincere and touching about the way he asked me to marry him that I didn’t mind at all where we are.

 

                He leaned forward, anxiously waiting for my answer.

 

                I slapped the ice cream at his face playfully and it hit him on the nose. I laughed. “Yes! Yes, I want to marry you Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

                He breathed a sigh of relief like he was half-expecting me to decline. Kyuhyun gave me a smile just when a cute boy approached our table.

 

                “Noona, I think this is for you.” the boy said while Kyuhyun wipes the ice cream of his face.

               

                I pointed at myself. “Me?”

                The boy nodded and handed me at least a dozen multicolored balloons. It was tied to something and I gasp when I saw that it was tied to a ring.

 

                I glanced at Kyuhyun as the boy wandered off. Kyuhyun took the ring from me untied all the balloons and knelt down to his feet.

 

                “Let me ask you again.” he smiled sheepishly. “Will you, Kim Tae Hee, marry me?”

 

                “Yes, I’ll marry you.” I smiled as he slipped the ring on my finger.

 

                It took us at least four months to prepare the whole wedding. I designed my own gown including Kyuhyun’s suit. On the day of my wedding everything is perfect, the guests were all there and I am the most beautiful girl that day.

 

                I sat inside my bridal car, waiting patiently for me to be called inside to start my procession. Twenty minutes passed and I’m getting a little impatient wondering what’s taking them so long.

 

                There was a knock on the car and I rolled down one of its windows. It was my brother who gave me Kyuhyun’s letter. I know it was his because I recognize the handwriting too well.

 

                I opened feeling the sense of nausea hitting me.

 

 

Dear Tae Hee,

 

                I don’t know how to begin with this other than say I’m sorry. I’m afraid I couldn’t make it to our wedding. It’s not because I don’t love you, I love you more than my life but I…I’m not ready yet.

 

                I’m afraid right now and there’s just been so many things going on in my life in the past few weeks and I couldn’t bring myself to tell you about it. Please forgive me, I just need some time to think and sort it out.

 

                I love you and please believe me when I say it.

 

                I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.

 

Kyuhyun.

I remember getting out of the car, the tear falling from my eyes. I must have dropped the letter on my way inside. Kyuhyun’s parents approached me, trying to calm me down when I told them about Kyuhyun’s letter. I kept denying what I just read and asked them where he is. They told me they didn’t know this will happen.

 

                I sat in front of the altar for a very long time, refusing to come with them when they asked me to go home. I can hear the murmur and the pitying looks the guests gave me as I cried there.

 

                It’s suppose to be the happiest day of my life…it turns out I’m wrong.

 

                Three days after that, I packed my bags, booked a ticket to Japan and enrolled myself in Tokyo University.

 

                “Tae Hee!” Kyuhyun continued pounding on the door. “Please open the door. Talk to me, please.”

 

                The sobs are getting louder now and I tried to calm myself. I’m already hyperventilating when the door finally opened.

� �Z�?�MsoNormal style='text-align:justify;text-justify:inter-ideograph'>                I wriggle out of Kyuhyun’s grasp as they remove the veil I was wearing. The concerned questions started when they noticed that my tears haven’t subsided yet.

 

 

                “Gwenchanna?” they asked me.

 

                I nodded and lied. “I’m fine.”

 

                “What’s wrong?” the PD asked me.

 

                I backed away trying to mask my tears with a laugh. “I’m just being silly. I mean the song is emotional and the story is just sad. I’ll go change.”

 

                “Tae Hee!” Kyuhyun said running after me.

 

                I locked myself in the first room I found, tossed the bouquet away and cried.