残酷的爱 (Cruel Love)-Kris

EXO One Shot Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

A fallen king with no crown or a land to call his own.

A sorceress who swore bloody revenge for the loss of her family to the war.

When fate brought these two together, how will their stories end?

 

Currently wasting away in a tavern in heaps of rums in a state of total drunkenness with women surrounding him is Kris, former king of the destroyed Kaelas because of the war waged by his neighbours. His most trusted advisors had sold him out and shipped him far away where he would never be able to return home.

Dressed in nothing but rags, he downed another bottle of alcohol, slurring incomprehensible words. It’s been three whole years since the fall of his kingdom and he was powerless to do anything in his current state. Very often, he wondered how he ended up in such a pitiful state.

He treated his subjects with compassion, kindness and not arrogance. He did everything in his power to help his people and made his kingdom flourish and prosper, the object of envy for every single diplomats who came to visit it. The wealth flowed like a smooth river and none of his subjects lived in bitterness or in poverty under his rule.

So why indeed had misfortune befall upon his head?

Feeling stuffy, he stood up and wanted to get some fresh air. By doing so, he accidentally bumped into a buff man who glared at him in return and grabbed him by the shoulders. ‘You looking for trouble, mate?’ Judging from the clothes he wore, the tattoos inked on his skin and the swords and pistols that hung on hips, the man is a pirate.

‘No, now unhand me you bloody bastard.’ Kris growled, not in the mood to pick a fight. ‘Oi, you think you can just push me around, you prick?! Who do you think you are? A king?!’ the man pushed him down in the floor. Kris smiled bitterly at the familiar title, using a nearby stool, he propped himself up and spat at the man before him.

‘You idiot, you wouldn’t even know if a king took a piss on your bloody ship… I’ve had enough of your e, now leave me be or I’ll kick your arse to kingdom come!’ He retorted. ‘Why you…’ The man raised his fist. ‘I wouldn’t do that if I were you, sailor.’ A new voice came from the next table, a female’s.

‘Mind your own business, woman! Before I clock you too like I’m gonna do with this piece of e!’ The man bellowed. ‘And you would dare to do that to a lady? You’ve got balls but ain’t half the man you claim to be.’ You turned to look at the man dead in the eyes as you lowered the hood of your cloak. He took one good look at you and lowered his fist and looked like he was about to piss himself.

‘S-Stay a-a-away f-from me, w-witch!’ he cried as he staggered back and ran out of the tavern while screaming like a madman. Everyone’s attention turned to you and well, how could they not? Long white hair tied into a high ponytail with (F/C) ends, ears that ended with a long, furry point where piercings adorned it. Icy blue eyes with slits for pupils that would adjust according to the concentration of light in your surroundings like a cat’s and above all, the markings that were on your face only served as a further indication as to what you were.

You knew witches were feared by humans but how ironic is that they always turned to you for help whenever things went out of hand, you did help them but exile was the only thing you got in return for your aid. For several thousands of years, you’ve watched humans but they never changed at all, their fear of the unknown makes people like you shunned and insulted by their own society, thinking they’re all high and mighty as if they were gods or something.

‘What are you all staring at? Never seen a witch before?’ You said in a bored expression as you continued to sip on your drink. ‘Be gone, witch! I don’t need the likes of you to soil dirt or put curses on my tavern!’ The owner made a shooing motion with his hand. ‘Watch your tongue, Philip. This place is about as clean as a dog kennel, I can put a hex on you and the rest of your descendants for the rest of your lives if you cross me again, you imbecile.’ You attacked him in a cold manner.

Slamming the money on the table, you pulled up your hood and stood up. ‘May your business here never flourish.’ Your eyes glowed a dangerous red at Philip before you turned to the stranger seated at the next table. ‘And good day to you, Your Majesty.’ And with that, you left in a cloud of black wisps.

Kris only sat there dumbfounded at the event that had happened before him, not once since the start of this new life he led as the hunter and butcher of this village has he ever revealed he was a king before his downfall. He now knew you were a witch but that didn’t mean you had mind-reading powers. Or did you? Leaving the tavern, he went back to his own hut and slept the rest of the day off to prepare for tomorrow’s hunt.

He saw you again while hunting in the forest, it made sense why you covered yourself with a cloak. You didn’t bother to hide yourself in the place where you felt peace the most, starting from your knees, it had turned furry and you had hind legs of a wolf. Obviously, this made you look taller than average humans of both genders. The prominent large black antlers with flowing blue essence that decorated your limbs like henna designs.

You don’t take lightly to people trespassing your home but since it was the king from yesterday, you made an exception. ‘What brings you over here to my domain, king?’ you mused, ruffling a wolf’s fur who nuzzled affectionately into your hand.

‘I was just hunting around this area, I didn’t know it is your home.’ He set his bow down so as to not offend you, a creature of the forest. ‘Surely you didn’t think that I would be able to dwell among humans after seeing this form of mine, they fear and I intend to keep it that way. Do you not, my king?’ you raised an eyebrow at him.

‘Stop calling me that.’ His voice took on an edge, it reminded him of his previous life. Hiraeth, was all he could feel and he drowned it out by resorting to alcohol. ‘Are you not the leader of your own kingdom? Then why would you wish to be called otherwise when you are of the blood? Or is it perhaps you do not wish to be reminded of the grace you have fallen from?’ that struck a nerve, you could tell by the hard look on his face.

‘Listen witch, I have no intention of harming you but I will not hesitate if you goad me further than this.’ You saw the dagger that hung on his hip, glinting in the light. ‘Hah, if I could leave my immortality, I would’ve done so centuries ago!’ you snorted. ‘What?’ ‘I’m immortal, I’ve lived for centuries and witnessed the ugliness of this world and the brutality mankind inflicts like a plague on this land.’ You scrunched your nose in distaste.

‘But you’re a witch, witches don’t live that long!’ Kris was surprised and intrigued. ‘Aye, but I’m not a normal witch like others who have appearances of a human. I was the offspring of a woman and an incubus, a shameful heritage that I despise the most of myself. Disgusting.’ You lowered your head and looked at the long, talon-like nails that grew on your fingers. The swishing appendage that grew on your lower back was a reminder of how you could never be like humans no matter how much you wanted to.

‘So, what is your purpose here now that you’ve seen me?’ you sighed as you looked at him again, a hand on your hip. ‘Nothing, I just stumbled upon your home is all.’ Kris shrugged as he slung his bow on his back. ‘That may be so, but only people who have desires may find this place. So tell me what you seek and I will help you obtain it with all my power. I sense great sadness from you, king, so do not try to hide it from me.’ You led him further into the clearing until you reached a cave shrouded by vines.

He looked at your home, it was decorated with feathers and furs even though it was simple and only lit by candles. ‘I apologize if you’re appalled at the sight of my humble abode, my king but I live in content the way I do now.’ You gestured for him to sit on one of the fur carpets. ‘I’ve lived in this place for three years now, I’m already accustomed to a humble subject’s life and I would very much prefer to live this way than a lavish one.’ He sighed as he made himself comfortable.

‘As you’ve already known, I held the grand title as a king. That was years ago unfortunately. Kaelas was a prosperous kingdom, merchants constantly flowed into the harbors to do trades and my land was abundant with crops and healthy livestock, I treated all my subjects with respect and dignity, never allowing them to suffer like the generations of kings before me.’

‘I did whatever I could to ensure the happiness of my people and I thought I’ve accomplished everything until my most trusted advisor had the audacity to stab me in my back after all I’ve done for him and his family. Cephas was his name, he had opened the gates to my enemies and I had no choice but to defend my land. I lost everything because of that wretch—my wife, my unborn children, my home, my family and most of all, my dignity!’ he roared angrily, making you flinch at the tone of his voice.

‘In this period of time, I’ve tried to make peace with the guilt and loss I faced but I could no longer stand by and watch that bloody idiot prancing around and live his life as he wants while I’m stuck rotting away here in exile!’

‘I can help you, this Cephas you spoke of has destroyed my own family. Took away the last of memories I have of my mother, blood shall be spilt and let it be his!’ you hissed at the mention of name. ‘Exactly, ho are we going to do this then, witch?’ he inquired. ‘You shall bind me into your service, only then will I be able to carry out your will.’ You instructed as you drew sigils on the ground and taught him to recite the spell.

‘I, Kris—High King of Kaelas, Lord of Faeryos Isles and Emperor of the White Throne, bind thee—(F/N) of the Grand Witch of Halaeon Forest to me in an everlasting bond beyond the boundaries of time and men!’ No sooner had he uttered those words, gusts of wind blew violently and the sigils glowed bright, neon blue.

‘I, (F/N) of Halaeon Forest seal this contract with a kiss. Forevermore shall this seal bind me to the end of time.’ When everything was said and done, black briars shot up from the ground and enveloped both you and him. Gently, you leaned down and kissed him, imprinting on his soul as he did to yours.

You pulled away and looked into his half-lidded eyes with your own gold ones, ‘Are you ready, my lord?’ you asked. Kris only nodded, trying to regain his breath from the spell he had recited. ‘We shall return to your home then.’ Your tall form brought him into a hug before disappearing into dark wisps and appearing in a place where everything fell into ruins.

‘No… What happened during my absence…?’ Kris was mortified by the sight before him. The glory of Kaelas had fallen into shambles, his kingdom looked like it had been in a war and plague had invaded his cities. His subjects looked sick and dressed in nothing but rags, he had even witnessed a theft happening right before his eyes.

‘It must’ve been Cephas’s doing. I smell his disgusting stench all over the city, I imagine your city did not look like this under your rule, yes?’ you looked at him. ‘My people never had to steal anything or live in the streets. Cephas is the son of my father’s older brother who died of a strange incurable sickness, I did everything I could to save him. The royal physician could not determine what plagued the poor man and he died leaving his only son without parents, he was bitter that I—who was younger than him sat on the throne and lived happily blessed with a beautiful wife and uncountable wealth.’

‘This wife of yours, what is she like? You must love her dearly from the way you speak.’ Your voice took on a strange tone of pain as if it stung your heart. ‘Our marriage was arranged, she and I were married at a young age of fifteen. I was to marry a noble from my own kingdom or a royal from a faraway land, I never loved her of course but as a husband, a king and a father-to-be, I have responsibilities. Then she was blown to bits right before my eyes when the palace was under siege, I couldn’t save her in time.’ He explained.

‘A tragic story, truly. I cannot turn back the past but I can grant you the power to forge a new future, to fight the present and defy death itself. Life may be a beautiful and bitter lie but it is much better than having to face the horrible truth called ‘death’ is it not?’ ‘Wise words, you would’ve been mistaken as a sage instead of a witch were it not for your form of strangeness.’ He chuckled as he scanned your form up and down.

‘Shame I was born this way but alas, I’ve already grown accustomed to this vessel.’ You sighed. You accompanied him and walked around the town square, people walked the streets like walking corpses, no will of their own. ‘One day, Cephas will get what’s coming to him.’ He growled.

Night fell and Kris was tired of walking around, he proposed to stay at the inn but you objected. You have good reasons to do so though. You could only maintain your

Please log in to read the full chapter