Folklores and Legends-Chen

EXO One Shot Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kim Jongdae had been aching for a month of holiday after completing his exams for various subjects in one go, it wasn’t easy even though he was the genius of the class but to nail that entrance exam to the university he wanted to attend, he risked everything and put everything on the line.

When the results were finally out, he was happy that his efforts had paid off. He had wanted to take music arrangement classes for games in Japan since he was both an avid gamer and also a composer, he would do anything to achieve his dreams. A letter came for him from the prestigious university he was accepted to, asking him to arrive the campus in a week’s time. Feeling excited, he packed his bags, bid his family goodbye and is now on an airplane with only a few minutes left before he steps on Japanese soil.

After arriving, he could smell the fresh air around him and he inhaled it gratefully. Hailing a cab to take him to the university from Narita Airport, he made sure to check he hadn’t left any luggage behind before stepping into the cab. Tokyo was every bit beautiful as described in documentaries he had watched, with its flashing neon lights and bustling streets, everything felt like a whole new world to him.

Before long, he had arrived at his destination and needless to say, his mouth gaped at the huge campus. There was no one to be seen and he felt fear creeping up his spine, overtaking his excitement. Walking over to the administration building, he showed the receptionist the letter he had received.

‘Ah, Student Kim Jongdae from South Korea is it? I’m afraid most of the students are still on holiday and they won’t be back until after another month and a half. But your roommate is here, he’s in room 20 of males’ dorm of Seiryuu block, second floor and the last room. The one right next to the Arts Department, you won’t miss it. And ask him to give you a spare key.’ She gave him the directions in English and went on his way.

She was right, the dorm was easy to spot and it was right next to the Arts Department. Walking up the stairs and to the last room, he knocked on the door and told his name. The door immediately opened and he was greeted by a bubbly guy. ‘Hello there! My name’s Sakurai Junichi but you can call me Jun for short!’ He grinned.

Jun is a really tall guy, standing at 190 cm and towering over him. He ushered Jongdae in and dragged his luggage to his bed as he took his time to observe his new surroundings. The room was really huge, no wonder there were only ten rooms per floors. ‘So tell me, what’s it like living in Korea?’ Jun spoke to him in his native language, shocking him. Upon seeing the look on Jongdae’s face, he explained that he had taken Korean classes to boost his skills and also the fact that his grandfather was a Korean from his father’s side.

Jongdae was relieved that he didn’t need to speak in Japanese to him since his Japanese was broken but he decided to take classes here to prevent language barrier. To celebrate his first day here in Japan, Jun took him to a festival and treated him to every food stall he could find. It was a new experience for Jongdae and he enjoyed every moment of it.

He saw people praying in Shinto shrines, the temple itself having magnificent structure, he couldn’t resist taking a photo of it before moving on. Unknown to him, a spiritual entity followed him back to his dorm. Due to his jetlag and a full stomach, he passed out as soon as he laid down on his back like Jun.

The very next morning at dawn, Jun was yelling angrily at him or rather, some invisible person beside him. He woke up immediately and questioned his new roommate at his sudden temper. ‘A spirit followed you back here yesterday, how foolish of me not to notice of its existence.’ He glared at the empty spot next to his bed.

‘I don’t see anything.’ He yawned sleepily. ‘That’s because you can’t, I have an otherworldly gift that allows me to see what normal eyes cannot see.’ He explained then proceeded to bark angrily again at whatever it was that was occupying a space there. ‘You’re joking right?’ He asked again, this time feeling creeped out. ‘I wish I was but I’m not.’ ‘What is it? Is it a ghost? Oni? Or is it one of those monsters?’ He gulped nervously.

‘It’s worse than an Oni, my friend.’ Jun’s answer made his skin crawl, he had no idea what to expect since he couldn’t see anything but a shadow. The shadow grew longer and it crawled up the walls, revealing a humanoid shape. Jongdae almost had a heart attack when a beautiful girl came out from the shadows, she looked almost human if it wasn’t for the nine tails that stuck out from behind her and her fox-like features.

‘Whew, feels good to be back in this form!’ You stretched your muscles. ‘Why did you reveal your true form, kitsune?!’ The man—Junichi asked angrily. ‘Hey, I don’t take kindly to humans yelling at me the first thing in the morning. And besides, it hurts my ears!’ You glared at him. ‘You’re an evil spirit who brings nothing but bad luck, be gone!’ ‘On the contrary, I am the opposite of it, human. First, I am a Zenko and I serve Lady Inari and second, I came here for him on my lady’s orders!’ You retaliated.

Jongdae just sat on his bed staring at you bickering with Jun, not having the slightest idea of what you were arguing about until you turned to face him, a bright smile on your face that made his heart skip a beat. ‘Hello Jongdae, I’ve come for you!’ You said happily. ‘Hey, I’m not done with you yet!’ ‘I have no business with you, Sakurai Junichi.’ You said coldly to him. ‘At least show me prove that you’re not here to cause harm.’ He insisted. ‘You humans are very persistent. Very well then, I shall show you.’ You sighed.

You arched your head back slightly to show him the red collar with a golden magatama that Lady Inari had given you as a pup, this was a proof that you were bound to Lady Inari as her messenger and a guardian. ‘I’m very sorry, I thought you were a Yako. What is your name, celestial fox?’ Jun asked, the tone in his voice changed by 180 degrees.

‘Wait, she’s a celestial fox? As in the fox spirit in legends?!’ Jun nodded and Jongdae looked like he was about to pass out. ‘As I was saying, you need to come with me, Jongdae. Lady Inari wishes to see you.’ You extended a hand to him. ‘How are you even here? What the heck is going on?’ He looked at Jun with confusion spread across his face.

‘I’ve waited for you for a century and a half for you to be reborn again, you may be known by another name in this time but you were known by another in the past. You were a simple man but saved the lives of the people in your village by giving them your food when there was a drought and Lady Inari has sent me to be your guardian should you ever return again.’ You told him the deeds his past incarnations had done and his soul was blessed for the very act he had done.

Jongdae watched your long, gold-tipped white tails swishing around as he immersed himself in deep thoughts, trying to comprehend the whole situation.

Please log in to read the full chapter